Original Buffalo skull or no?

Im not one to buy taxidermy. I'll only hang something on the wall that's personal. But I found this old skull in an old timers 1800's log barn today. He claims its an original American Buffalo skulIMG_7833.JPGl (not todays bison we see) from South Park Colorado. Otherwise known as Bison Bison. Seems to good and clean to be true. But who knows. Anyone out there that can help me out? It's cool either way, but I'm just curious.

Antares

WKR
That is a bull bison skull. I’m not sure what you mean about the difference between “American buffalo” and bison. It’s all the same.

If the skull is truly from a wild bison that had lived in the South Park area then it is likely from the smaller sub-species of mountain bison that once roamed the area. Plains Buffalo were much larger, nearly twice the size. The last of those South Park Bison were poached and are in a museum in Canyon City I believe. I remember reading an interesting and sad story about the poaching of a small herd that occurred in the late 1800's, essentially exterminating the last of those mountain bison.

def90

WKR
There were plains bison, mountain bison and woods bison back in the day, pretty sure it has been determined through dna that they were all the same. Their differences in size and some coloration and stuff were a result of the habitat that they lived in as well as isolation from other herds.

Most modern bison have some cattle dna mixed in with them. I think the Yellowstone herd and a couple others carry cattle free dna. Most if not all farmed bison on private ranches has some cattle mixed in with them.

OP
David Curtis
Thanks guys this is all great stuff. Super fascinating. I read the book "American Buffalo" by Steve Rinella not long ago. In there he breaks down what yal are talking about but I don't recall the details. I'm sure its hard to know for sure if its a real wild Colorado bison, but that's the story so Im sticking to it!

Antares

WKR
It's gonna look cool on the wall no matter what you call it! Here's a cow I cleaned up last summer.

Attachments

• IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 72

muddydogs

WKR
I won't purchase skulls myself except for a Bison, guess I see a Bison skull more as art or history then a trophy. My 12 year old nephew got a skull and hide after helping out on a Bison ranch last fall for a day. I cleaned it up for him.

Attachments

• Message_1605372373262.jpg
    Message_1605372373262.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 116
I won't purchase skulls myself except for a Bison, guess I see a Bison skull more as art or history then a trophy. My 12 year old nephew got a skull and hide after helping out on a Bison ranch last fall for a day. I cleaned it up for him.
Shot with a large caliber and it looks like it took a couple shots.

ClearCreek

MT257

WKR
It’s a bison skull. The little “u” or change in the skull above the eye socket to the base of horn is a trait of bison. Cattle skulls are more or less a straight line.

Definitely a bison skull, it’s also a modern bison. Appears to be a younger bull. No telling exactly how old it is, but looks to be in very good shape. Trophy either way.

muddydogs

WKR
Shot with a captive bolt at a slaughterhouse.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Nope shot with a rifle in the dirt. Guess this was the first shot of the day and they realized the sights got knocked off.

Warmsy

WKR
I bet you could send in a very small sample for adna test. It would be pretty cool too know for sure you're g holding a relic.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw