Oryx

TheCougar

WKR
Is there an outfitter who can help a non-res apply for a range tag?
Better odds at the draw.

I’m sure there is, but for Oryx you don’t need a guide. If you are even mildly competent, you can tag out an oryx in the first day or two. At that point, you’d be paying a guide for the better draw odds and to eek out a couple more inches of horn. It’s pretty easy to find a 35 inch oryx if you can hold off on shooting for a bit. We got one that measured right around 35” and the biggest one shot on our hunt was pushing 39 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
I think he's just looking for the better draw odds.

I guess I don’t understand that logic. The guided draw odds still suck. For the price of a guide and the cost of the tag, you can get a free range oryx hunt in Texas on a private ranch ($4500 on the first website I checked). And you don’t have to fight low odds and spend money and time applying every year.

Doghed

WKR
I guess I don’t understand that logic. The guided draw odds still suck.

I hear ya. For a non-res in the general draw it might as well be called a 'once-in-lifetime' hunt.

I think I would still put in each year for one of the statewide tags and then if not drawn (and had the coin), go with an outfitter.

I’ve shot a bunch of them in South Africa and Namibia. Their meat is outstanding.

I agree.

OP
Short Track
So... I didn't draw the missile range last year. I'm going to try again, but the non-res draw odds are nil.
Any good outfitters for off range ??

jeffpg

WKR
Cool.

My pusher did a job in Mozambique and he said it was full on. Hippo’s walking on location and whatnot.

Where were you at?
I worked on a ROV ship off the coast of Angola, but I safaried several times in Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. On my last trip I hunted for 37 straight days at a half dozen different properties in 2 different countries for Cape Buffalo, Leopard, plains game and mountain game, with some night time predator hunting thrown in. It's about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on!

Rokbar

WKR
I worked on a ROV ship off the coast of Angola, but I safaried several times in Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. On my last trip I hunted for 37 straight days at a half dozen different properties in 2 different countries for Cape Buffalo, Leopard, plains game and mountain game, with some night time predator hunting thrown in. It's about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on!
37 days straight? Be intersting to hear about some of the hunts.