OTC Elf tag in Colorado GMU 511

Hi All,

I am new to the site. Lots of great information on here! I will be mule deer hunting CO GMU 501 during the 3rd rifle season this year on public land. If I am fortunate enough to tag out in 501 on deer, I noticed that about 45 minutes to the south of where I will be hunting is GMU 511. GMU 511 has OTC bull tags. I was wondering if anybody on here had any experience on public land in GMU 511. Any info you would be willing to provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

511 holds its fair share of elk but theyre heavily hunted. In my experience, theyre call shy, spooky as all get out and tend to move towards private land and the USAFA once they feel preasure. That being said I've seen some pretty nice bulls come off public land in the unit.

JG358 is spot on.

I've hunted the western portion of that unit the past 4 years for rifle or archery. In 2011, I got a cow during first rifle season, never saw an elk during second season in 2012 or 2014 and only saw elk on public land during the 2011 archery season.

The area has numerous roads running through it and gets hit very hard with road hunters and atv/utv traffic as there are numerous established trails running through it. It's a popular year round destination for Jeep people and atv'ers. So expect a lot of traffic.

I archery hunted that unit last year and did not find fresh sign. I was also shed hunting there this year and didn't find any fresh sign either. I'm guessing they've moved out of the area that used to be hot.

I was camping there last weekend and ran into a guy who I've camped next to during hunting seasons over the past couple of years and he said that since Moose have now shown up in that area, they've pushed the elk out. He said the game warden told him that so take it for what it's worth. From what I've noticed, if you haven't gotten it done by the third day of the season you're basically done as the animals have all moved onto private property. I witnessed that in 2012 on the last weekend of 2'nd season. The forest was a ghost town. Also, there are a few private ranches who will try to keep the elk rounded up on their property.
I'd look for steep nasty canyons that no one wants to go into or find an area of private property that will hold elk and hope to catch them crossing onto public land.

Never did see an Elf there.

Yeah but you can hear them coming from a long way off due to those little bells on their slippers!

Back