Out of retirement

Elkhntr08

WKR
I spent 31 years with Illinois DNR and retired in 2019.
Between the rollercoaster stock market, too much “together” time and flat out boredom, I’m going back to work in 2023.
Looks to be a pretty good gig. Good pay, per diem for travel and flexible hours.
Looking to pay cash for a new car and truck, build up the savings again and inflate the hunting fund.
After talking with our financial advisor, this seems to be the thing now days. Retire for a few years, go back to work for a few and then retire again.
Anyone else done this? How’s it working out for you?

I am 64 1/2. The financial plan we did 30 years ago had me retiring at 55...ha! All my friends who are retired and thinking about it all agree "you have to have something to do". Can't hunt, golf, whatever 24/7.
I am in sales and if my company will allow me to keep a couple big accounts that require maybe 10 hours a week I may do that indefinitely.
Keeps me in the game and the extra cash will be nice for travel etc

OP
Elkhntr08

Elkhntr08

WKR
Sounds like a good plan.
I forgot to mention that I’m 61, so hopefully have a few more years.

Got to keep the mind occupied.
when it is time, i thought about helping teach business classes at the local junior college.
I have been self employed for 20 years, so it might be wierd to work for someone.

svivian

WKR
I am not even close to retirement age so take this with a grain of salt....

I work in banking and have a lot of customers that I build relationships with. The clients who stay busy and continue to work long after they "retire" seem to be the sharpest and healthiest. I have some clients retire and within a year or two it's like they aged 10 years and develop health problems.

My mother is about to turn 70 and she is still working in health care and doesn't miss a beat. She tried retiring for about 6 months and got bored.

These are just my observations.

Between the rollercoaster stock market, too much “together” time and flat out boredom, I’m going back to work in 2023.
Looks to be a pretty good gig. Good pay, per diem for travel and flexible hours.
Looking to pay cash for a new car and truck, build up the savings again and inflate the hunting fund.
After talking with our financial advisor, this seems to be the thing now days. Retire for a few years, go back to work for a few and then retire again.
Don't have any advice about going back to work after retirement. I am about 2 years from retirement and can't imagine going back to paid work once I do. Do you know Curt Lewis with IL DNR?

49ereric

WKR
I am not even close to retirement age so take this with a grain of salt....

I work in banking and have a lot of customers that I build relationships with. The clients who stay busy and continue to work long after they "retire" seem to be the sharpest and healthiest. I have some clients retire and within a year or two it's like they aged 10 years and develop health problems.

My mother is about to turn 70 and she is still working in health care and doesn't miss a beat. She tried retiring for about 6 months and got bored.

These are just my observations.
1st year can be tough to survive for many. Many peoples jobs are their lives and retirement can be toxic.

Last edited:
OP
Elkhntr08

Elkhntr08

WKR
Don't have any advice about going back to work after retirement. I am about 2 years from retirement and can't imagine going back to paid work once I do. Do you know Curt Lewis with IL DNR?
Sorry, I don’t. What office does he work for? A lot of different places there.

Tmac

WKR
Yep. Retired at 54, played 4 years, went back to work 3 days a week, and retiring again for good at the end of Jan. Basically the first time I was solo much of the time, kids, buddies working. OK for a bit, but honey do’s and boredom set in. Now I have buddies retiring, so game on.

had a career and started my own business as a plan for retirement of sorts. after I retired, I actually scaled my business down alot and have a handful of customers now which fund my hobbies. there are times when I'm out there saying why the hell am I doing this, I'm retired. there are also times where I am bored and wish I had work. I can tell you, I would never go back to a full time job. just keep reminding yourself why you're going back lol

cnelk

WKR
Retired 2 1/2 years ago at 56 - stuck with a plan to start my own part-time carpentry/handyman business to stay active and help fund hobbies - little did I know that inflation was going to take a big chunk out of that.

Best thing to get when retired is called a Day Clock. Because you always forget what day it is!

image.jpg

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Retired 4 almost 5 years ago, best decision I ever made, taught College for a year and then started my consulting career, work when I want and do what I want the rest of the time

Dewy

FNG
Retired from Fire Dept after 26 years at age 47 this past July. Got a call a few months later asking me to work for the state. Better money than when I left FD, different pension system, no subordinates, lots of autonomy and a 4 day work week with two of those from home. I like my second career job just fine so far.
For me I was already missing the challenge of working and problem solving after a few months. This job is fun,at least I think it is, and remedies that for me.

rayporter

WKR
in 03 i was 51 when i took off my watch. never wanted to go back either.

six months later i got a letter wanting me to come back as sub contractor. it went into the trash.

its been a great run, too. i had plenty to do and still have all i need to keep me busy on my few acres.

Flexible hours makes it all worth it.

MattB

WKR
Retired 2 1/2 years ago at 56 - stuck with a plan to start my own part-time carpentry/handyman business to stay active and help fund hobbies - little did I know that inflation was going to take a big chunk out of that.

Best thing to get when retired is called a Day Clock. Because you always forget what day it is!

View attachment 489023
I always know when the weekends are (the days I don't hike or go to the store because everyone else is), but that would be handy for the days in between.