Out of State Hunting / Fishing Adventures with Buddies

Rooggvc

WKR
I have a group of close friends that I have known for about a decade now. We routinely get together in our home state of Utah to shoot, hunt, and fish. I would really like to plan a group trip out of state. I don't think any of us would care if it's hunting or fishing. I would like to keep it around $2,000 or less a piece.

We have talked about South Dakota pheasants, Idaho Bears, Texas Hogs, and Lake Cascade Ice Fishing.

What kinds of adventures do you go on with your buddies that would fit that bill? Am I dreaming hoping to do some of these for $2,000 a piece?

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
How much are y’all willing to rough it? If you’re good with camping the whole time and eating grits for a week, you can get by pretty cheap on most trips.

Boundary waters is the absolute #1 fishing trip I’ve ever taken, can’t recommend it enough. Think plane tickets, rental car, and outfitter was $700 for a week of the best fishing I’ve ever seen.

Maine is a close second, think 3 days came out to $300 including plane ticket and rental car. Smallmouth fishing was off the charts.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Boundary waters is the absolute #1 fishing trip I’ve ever taken, can’t recommend it enough. Think plane tickets, rental car, and outfitter was $700 for a week of the best fishing I’ve ever seen.
Is the Boundary waters in Minnesota? Do you remember what outfitter you used?

I am sure I could convince everyone to live on hotdogs and bologna sandwiches for a week. I think we all realize we are there for the adventure and not the food.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider

I am sure I could convince everyone to live on hotdogs and bologna sandwiches for a week. I think we all realize we are there for the adventure and not the food.
Yes, it’s Minnesota. Depending on the lake, smallmouth or pike were the most prevalent (or just what we were comfortable fishing for). Caught walleye, bluegill, yellow perch, and largemouth as well.

Ely Outfitters, believe they provided everything for the trip but fishing tackle.

Traveler

WKR
There are some fly in fishing outfits in Canada that would be in that range, depending on how many are in the group

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
There are some fly in fishing outfits in Canada that would be in that range, depending on how many are in the group
That would be awesome. There are 4 of us currently. We would definitely have to learn to fly fish first ;). We have looked hard at Pyramid Lake in Nevada as an option once we learn to fly fish.

Traveler

WKR
That would be awesome. There are 4 of us currently. We would definitely have to learn to fly fish first ;). We have looked hard at Pyramid Lake in Nevada as an option once we learn to fly fish.
Can’t tell if you’re joking or not with the wink emoji. I said fly in, on an airplane. It is all spoon and crank bait fishing.

rayporter

WKR
second the boundary waters or the fly in Canada fishing =]]
both worth it
you can stay in a cottage with all the amenities in Canada for cheap.

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
We go hog hunting in TX, after our hunting season is over, for 3 nights that maybe cost $1000. That's fuel (26 hr round-trip drive), food and lodging. It's a package deal with "guide".

When I go to Manitoba waterfowl hunting with some buddies, general 4-6 guys, it's well under $2000 for everything. We get a hotel, bring food, and freelance. That's a 23 hr drive one way from my house.

CorbLand

WKR
Fly Fishing trip through Wyoming, Montana and Idaho would be a fun trip.

My old roommate and I took a week to go fish Montana and Yellowstone. One of the best trips of my life.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Can’t tell if you’re joking or not with the wink emoji. I said fly in, on an airplane. It is all spoon and crank bait fishing.
I totally read that as fly fishing. Thanks for clarifying that. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
fly in backcountry spring bear trip was my favorite trip so far. 50 miles in 7 days with 3 of us.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I have a group of close friends that I have known for about a decade now. We routinely get together in our home state of Utah to shoot, hunt, and fish. I would really like to plan a group trip out of state. I don't think any of us would care if it's hunting or fishing. I would like to keep it around $2,000 or less a piece.

We have talked about South Dakota pheasants, Idaho Bears, Texas Hogs, and Lake Cascade Ice Fishing.

What kinds of adventures do you go on with your buddies that would fit that bill? Am I dreaming hoping to do some of these for $2,000 a piece?
Tarpon/Permit guides for the area north of Cancun are cheap by American standards. I fly fished a lagoon for baby tarpon (5-20 lbs) with a guide in June and it was like $450/ full day for 2 people. It was our first time fishing saltwater on the fly so I only caught a couple but we had shots at fish all day until it got too hot. Just couldn’t convert on the long casts. A seasoned fisherman would probably have hooked into more than a dozen.

Y’all could get a cheap flight to Cancun. Frontier (horrible, I know) was running some absolute steals from New Orleans to Cancun a few months ago. Very nice accommodations and food can be had there much cheaper than in the states. I think if y’all stayed two to a room, and went 2 to a guide, you could come out around $2k.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider

I took my buddies who aren’t very experienced campers let alone backcountry camping to the Boundary Waters for a cast and blast in October. The ducks were all gone and the fishing was tough (a snowstorm rolled in and dropped 4 inches of snow on us day 2) but it’s a trip we all still talk about all the time. It’s absolutely gorgeous and if you go in the fall there’s no one there. Only saw one other group in 4 days. We rented equipment through Piragis in Ely they were great and very helpful. Grouse hunting was pretty good had one right in camp one day

TSAMP

WKR
Underrated adventure right here. With the right guys it really won't matter what you do. Kudos to you for thinking it up, its not easy, especially working around others schedules. I have a group of 5 guys I've known since elementary I drag ice fishing and salmon fishing once a year now for the last 4 years. Usually 1 or 2 guys drop out but the same core 4 always make it.

We're discussing an Alaska fishing trip now as they're all becoming much more proficient anglers.

Your on the right track with some sort of guide. I am there for help but I want to enjoy myself not babysit.

Start small is my advice.

dtrkyman

WKR
Go stay down in Venice Louisiana, Redfish for days, there are some lodges down there that are all inclusive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Guided shark fishing trip out of Padre was a really cheap and fun trip we did last year. Guys use huge drones or jet skis to carry out big baits from shore. Hang on the beach, drink beer if you are inclined and then reel in sharks. Our biggest was a 10' tiger shark. We also did quite a bit of DIY speckled and sand trout fishing. Easy to do that trip for way under 2k per guy. Probably closer to 1k per guy including lodging. This is the shark guide- https://sharkabrah.com/