Out of State Hunting / Fishing Adventures with Buddies

Cascade ice fishing is a blast when you are on the fish and the ice conditions aren't miserable. Spring bear in Idaho is a kick ass time too. If you time that right, you might hit the tail of steelhead or later on, morel season.

How much are y’all willing to rough it? If you’re good with camping the whole time and eating grits for a week, you can get by pretty cheap on most trips.

Boundary waters is the absolute #1 fishing trip I’ve ever taken, can’t recommend it enough. Think plane tickets, rental car, and outfitter was $700 for a week of the best fishing I’ve ever seen.

Maine is a close second, think 3 days came out to $300 including plane ticket and rental car. Smallmouth fishing was off the charts.
How long ago?

I can't remember the last round trip ticket I bought that was under $300

Really, at your budget most things are an option...

For a group trip I'd probably pick fishing. Less pressure, and more relaxed. Easy for the less aggressive guy to just hang out.

Or... If y'all live somewhere without a dove season, go dove hunting. Cheap, fun, relaxed, great eating.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far. There have already been a lot on the fishing side of things that's never crossed my mind.

Rich M

WKR
I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far. There have already been a lot on the fishing side of things that's never crossed my mind.
It’s easier to get a fishing license than for a group of 4 to draw quota permits. And you can plan for next yr as opposed to needing 4-5-10 quota points. That’s what is taking my group out of the hunting game. It’s a PITA to get tags and go.

Plus fishing is fun.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from a smallmouth trip in MN on Milles Lac lake. Even for the dog days of summer we had a blast. Caught so many 4.5 to 5lb smallmouth we stopped counting. Easily within your budget.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
How long ago?

I can't remember the last round trip ticket I bought that was under $300
Was a couple years ago. But looks like you could still do Atlanta to Boston round trip for 250, split a rental car and gas 4 ways over 3 days to get to Maine, eat what you catch, bring filter for water, sleep in a tent.

Could probably do it that way and still keep it around 350.

The last 2 yrs my bothers and a couple buddies found some state land and hunted turkeys. We stayed at a campground along a reservoir, so when we weren't hunting we could go fishing. We had alot of fun with that.

I would vote for a fly in Canada fishing trip or if you're up for the long drive and camping, you can get to some extremely remote lakes up there and have them all to yourself as well. Either of those options would beat the quality of fishing in the boundary waters imo.

I would venture a guess to say the pheasant hunt would be pretty damn fun with a well known group of guys as well. 2k outta get you somewhere decent and if not find hotels and hunt public.

Another thought I had was what about a hog hunt somewhere? You can get them for under 1k a piece for a 2-3 day hunt

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking into Alaska fishing, it's relatively cheap for a 4-5 day charter for halibut and salmon, food and lodging included. My biggest expense is living near NYC, the flight is equal to the cost of the trip.

Id also like to do a SD pheasant trip, it's more inclusive to fat friends, and cheaper, more shooting opportunities and time to hang out with a mutual activity, food and lodging included too. Compared to a big game hunt.