Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket

Hey guys I’m in the market for a new set of rain gear. I’m looking at the OR Helium ii jacket and the OR foray pants. I would mostly use this jacket here in Utah for archery deer and I’m looking to start archery deer hunting Colorado high country and Nevada high desert sage country. I might throw in a few archery elk hunts too. I haven’t had to use a rain jacket much in Utah so I’m thinking a rain jacket like this would work fine. Anyone have experience they could share? Even if it isn’t with this jacket specifically and another lightweight wind/rain jacket that would be great. I’ve seen guys moving to jackets like the Sitka flash for early archery hunts.

Just a side note I’m not planning on using this jacket for October hunts. I have a Kuiu axis jacket I’m planning on using for those hunts.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

Cody_W

WKR
I have a helium ii and I don’t believe I’d trust it’s durability for hunting. Is an awesome coat for warm weather rain, but the material is very thin. It may be more durable than it seems, but I’d rather pack the extra couple ounces knowing I’ll stay dry.

ChrisAU

WKR
I have one, wore it for about 8-9 hours packing back into camp and then packing out a bull in a blizzard last fall. Stayed dry. Hands had to be on trekking poles most of the time so no pockets didn't bother me. Put my phone in the chest pocket, it stayed dry. Doesn't look like its ever been worn, but that pack out was mostly on trail.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got a set I always carry when i don’t think I’ll be dealing with any real precip, or am mainly on trail. It’s okay. I wouldn’t expect it to hold up walking through any brush, and I wouldn’t expect to stay dry under any serious rain. But for an ultra lite set for the occasional shower it works fine.

OP
Bowhunter50
Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up picking up the helium jacket and foray pants. A member posted a 50% off code for OR and I couldn’t resist. For $80 I’m willing to give it a try. It seems like it gets great reviews from the backpacking crowd. I really haven’t dealt with a lot of rain around here during the archery hunt (knock on wood). I know it’s limitations and will take that into account. Seems like a good just in case jacket, like a more technical Cabela’s space rain jacket. I think I’ll pick up a chugach jacket that I can keep in the truck. I’ll just check the weather at the trail head and pick my rain gear accordingly.

Thanks again. I’ll let everyone know how it works out.

OP
Bowhunter50
Hey guys thought I would report back. I received the helium ii in the mail. The coyote color looks great. The jacket is a little shiny, but I don’t think that will make much of a difference as I won’t be pursuing game in this jacket. Primary use will be weathering out storms under a tree, blocking wind while glassing, setting up a tent in the rain, etc. Seems like it will be durable enough for my uses. I got a size large which is the same size I wear in Kuiu and the fit is great. It fits perfect over my Kuiu super down jacket. The foray pants are great. They seem durable and a size large weighs less than 10 ounces on my scale. They seem like a good balance of weight and durability. The pants are a little more baggy than I would like. Thinking of sizing down to a medium?

I also got the Kuiu chugach jacket for times when I’ll be spending a lot of time in the rain. The chugach seems like it will be plenty durable and has a lot of nice features and of course the membrane is supposed to be more durable and breathable. The chugach in a size large is a little baggier than the helium ii jacket. However, the helium doesn’t have any extra room under my super down. Any tighter and the down would get compressed.

I’ll keep everyone posted as I use this gear over the season. Thanks again for the input.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys thought I would report back. I received the helium ii in the mail. The coyote color looks great. The jacket is a little shiny, but I don’t think that will make much of a difference as I won’t be pursuing game in this jacket. Primary use will be weathering out storms under a tree, blocking wind while glassing, setting up a tent in the rain, etc. Seems like it will be durable enough for my uses. I got a size large which is the same size I wear in Kuiu and the fit is great. It fits perfect over my Kuiu super down jacket. The foray pants are great. They seem durable and a size large weighs less than 10 ounces on my scale. They seem like a good balance of weight and durability. The pants are a little more baggy than I would like. Thinking of sizing down to a medium?

I also got the Kuiu chugach jacket for times when I’ll be spending a lot of time in the rain. The chugach seems like it will be plenty durable and has a lot of nice features and of course the membrane is supposed to be more durable and breathable. The chugach in a size large is a little baggier than the helium ii jacket. However, the helium doesn’t have any extra room under my super down. Any tighter and the down would get compressed.

I’ll keep everyone posted as I use this gear over the season. Thanks again for the input.

It's been a couple seasons, how was the performance?