Outdoor Stores to Visit in Anchorage and Fairbanks

PhillyB

WKR
We are headed to Anchorage then Fairbanks.

I figure there are probably some cool gear shops that are worth visiting.

Are there any recommended places worth stopping to shop for quality gear, see some cool mounts, or for any reason related to hunting/ being outdoors?

As a note, we will have everything we need for the trip, I’m talking more about places to go where I might find something cool I can use in the fall.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
In Anchorage
Barney's Sports Chalet (focus on Sheep hunting, small)
Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking (not a hunting store)

Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Bass Pro are standard, nothing special but typical cool taxidermy.

In addition to Barney's, Mountain View Sports and Mossy's if you're into fly fishing. Mt View Sports has (did have) some tanker sheep on the wall. I like B & J's too, but nothing special happening there. Just a good, local place to run in and grab some tackle from time to time.

If you're coming through Wasilla, the folks at 3 Rivers are a good group as well. It's right off the highway. Screaming Eagle Archery is roughly right behind 3 Rivers and they're a great shop! Neither of those places are anything special as far as mulling around and looking at mounts, but they're both very active in supporting local hunting/fishing orgs and very helpful groups of locals. Hell, there's even a new brewery right between the two, you could make an afternoon of it!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Pristine Ventures is a spot I want to stop at in Fairbanks, but have not been up that way in a while.

carter33

WKR
Definitely Barney’s in Anchorage, they carry items very few others do such as Kifaru, SG, hilleberg, as well as the packs etc. they produce themselves.

If you happen to be traveling through delta junction as well granite view sports is probably the best gun/ammo/reloading store in the state. Of course you can’t fly with primers or powders I suppose.

There isn’t any specific spot in Fairbanks that I think sticks out to me. Above someone mentioned frontier outfitters and they’re ok but in my opinion the service has not been great and they’re not afraid to significantly mark up hard to find items, wish I could say differently but iv found no reason to be a loyal customer.