Outdoor Vision Ridgetop VS the Adak Bino Harness - Head to Head Review

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
These two harnesses peaked my interest while searching for a fully enclosed binocular harness. I now have both harnesses in hand and have started comparing. I’ll start off by saying both are very good and the comparison from me will be fairly objective. What I prefer in a harness may be something that you dislike. From what I’ve experienced thus far I would use either of the harnesses for any hunting adventure.

Is there anything in particular you’d like to see covered?

https://outdoorvisiongear.com

https://www.blackovis.com/adak-coyote-bino-system

***Edit 12/2/19***
Jordan's complete review is published here. Outdoor Vision Ridgetop Harness VS Adak Harness

Manimal

FNG
Being from Michigan a harness has to pull double duty in a tree stand hunting whitetails. A harness with quiet material is a must. Need to be able to open and close silently and use the range finder without making a sound. Please compare the material quietness to each other and others you have used in the past. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Michael54

WKR
Curious to see how much extra stuff you can fit in them. One of these seems to be perfect for the people that think the agc is too much and others are not enough.

High Voltage

Lil-Rokslider
I just read alot of reviews, and ordered these today. Marsupial Gear Bino Harness - 2019 Model × 1 Foliage

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just read alot of reviews, and ordered these today. Marsupial Gear Bino Harness - 2019 Model × 1 Foliage

I have one of these. The largest issue is it's not a full containment. Typically not a huge deal but if your in a lot of dust you're glass is going to get dusty. The other downside is it doesn't have like any extra space at all in the front pocket. The cell phone pocket on the back is nice though.

tdot

WKR
I'd be interested in knowing how each of the bino/range finder harness combos work with the Kifaru packs straps. Are they comfortable wearing pack and harness together? Width or interference issues?

treillw

WKR
Loudness of magnets / need for magnets or other device to keep closed.

Anozira

WKR
If you have time, I would like to see the bino accessories covered also. I would be interested to know what add-ons (i.e. range finder pouch, gps/ inreach pouch) are available. In February, jr8fish from ADAK said:

"Future pockets to be release are a general zipper pocket to hold phone, and various accessories, radio specific attachment, bear spray, and potentially a side arm attachment."

But I have yet to see such accessories made by ADAK beyond the included range finder pouch. It appears that outdoor vision also makes a GPS pouch that may double as an inreach pouch as well. I would be willing to jump ship from marsupial to a full containment harness if I can build a harness system similar to what I use now. Subscribed to see how your review turns out.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have time, I would like to see the bino accessories covered also. I would be interested to know what add-ons (i.e. range finder pouch, gps/ inreach pouch) are available. In February, jr8fish from ADAK said:

"Future pockets to be release are a general zipper pocket to hold phone, and various accessories, radio specific attachment, bear spray, and potentially a side arm attachment."

But I have yet to see such accessories made by ADAK beyond the included range finder pouch. It appears that outdoor vision also makes a GPS pouch that may double as an inreach pouch as well. I would be willing to jump ship from marsupial to a full containment harness if I can build a harness system similar to what I use now. Subscribed to see how your review turns out.

I actually have that prototype accessory pocket for the Adak. It’s pretty good for what it is, but what makes it really good is the way it attaches to the harness with the Velcro just like the rangefinder pocket. Keeps it in place well. I will cover the accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael54

WKR
I actually have that prototype accessory pocket for the Adak. It’s pretty good for what it is, but what makes it really good is the way it attaches to the harness with the Velcro just like the rangefinder pocket. Keeps it in place well. I will cover the accessories.

You are gonna cost me money i just know it....

Anozira

WKR

That would be awesome, thank you!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Questions for the OV Ridgetop:

1) What size are you testing and what binos/size are you using?
2) I run Zeiss 10x42 SFs, can I fit lens cloths and a cell phone in the large or XL?
3) What can you fit in that front zipper pouch?
4) Is it comfortable while wearing everything from a t-shirt to heavy jacket?
5) Is the magnet strong? (While bending over in the field my binos have popped out of my badlands several times)

I completely agree with you about the fully enclosed/contained harness, I cant wrap my head around why any company makes the ones where the sides are open. Whats the advantage in this design? Ive had reps try tell me that they have no issues with moisture or dust, but that just cant be! Even with my fully enclose badlands I have had a little moisture buildup on the lenses during long periods of rain/snow...

Thanks for the gear review!

Block

WKR
Curious what rangefinders people think fit perfect into the Adak... I am looking to upgrade from my Vortex Ranger 1000,,, 1 becuz it’s too tight in this pocket, but mainly becuz it’s just not that great... the thing gives different ranges on different colored foam targets sitting next to each other,..

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
I would preface it with what you want to carry in your harness and why.

Pockets; How much can you carry? Are the useable? Can you access them when the bino lid open? Tag pocket?

Fabric; Try them with different binos, different bino texture and material make a difference on how easy they can be removed. Also how is the nosies when dry, wet and after they have dried out?

X harness; how comfortable are they? How easy do they adjust while on, for adding layers? Padded? Width? How wide is the neck slot (narrow or wide)? How small or large do they adjust to?

Accessory pouches; how do they attach? Quick disconnect? How is the tether system for the rangefinder/gps, does it have a quick disconnect.

Lids; How do they open? Magnets? How well do they stay open? Which works better at keeping debris and food out?

Quick disconnect of the binos; How are the QD sytems attached(to the binos and to the harness, split rings/ zip ties ect.)? What kind of buckle did they use( easy or hard to use gloves/cold hands)? How long is the strap on the bino (say when glassing of the tripod will the strap blow in the wind causing vibration)?

Some of these are very specific, I have both of the harness as well, there are some things that I wish I would have known before buying that would have saved me from buying one or the other. I wanted to point out the small details as the will make a difference depending on how the user uses the harness.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be interested in knowing how each of the bino/range finder harness combos work with the Kifaru packs straps. Are they comfortable wearing pack and harness together? Width or interference issues?

I use the outdoor vision with my kifaru. No problems at all. Very comfortable. I really like the OV.

MCR

FNG
Marsupial is great but lets a lot of dust in the sides here in Arizona. Other than that I really like it.

MCR

FNG
Ordered the Adak because of the dust in the Marsupial. I sent the Adak back because my rangefinder wouldn't fit in the pouch so make sure the rangefinder you have will fit. Mine is a vortex rangefinder.