Outdoorsmans tripod

mitschkeb

FNG
About to pull the trigger on a new kowa spotter and tripod are the outdoorsmans really worth the price tag?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
I think so but that's my opinion. They are very stable and I think a good compromise for the weight. I've had one since the very beginning (first gen green). I still use it regularly and have never had any issue with it and I can't remember when the last time I adjusted the clamps. Every now and then I'll blow the dust off the clamps and put a drop of TriFlow or something on them. I have owned slightly lighter carbon tripods (they don't stack up to the OD for stability) and I keep going back to the OD for my lightest tripod.

Last edited:

Q child

WKR
I say yes.
I say yes to good tripods in general though. The better your tripod is, the more useful your scope is going to be. So, if you are buying a sweet scope, then I think you should buy a sweet tripod and head too. I would sacrifice my optics budget if it means I would get a moderately nice scope and a moderately nice tripod rather than a super nice scope and a crap tripod.
As far as Outdoorsmans goes, they are pretty sweet. I own two. The tall one and the medium one. They are exactly the same construction, but with different dimensions. I use them both regularly. For the money, I haven't used anything that is noticeably better for rugged use. The Outdoorsmans are simple utility. They deploy fast, hold steady, and take a beating all while being light enough.

Aw25833

FNG
Outdoorsman's tripods are great, but the customer service is phenomenal. Their reps have always gone out of their way to help me with any questions or issues i had. If you're still considering on i would suggest getting on live chat or calling them and they will help you out.;

I have a Manfrotto CF (290 xtra) that has been rock solid and bullet proof. The only con is its collapse length. I also have a Slik CF (unsure of model) that is more compact but less stable than my Manfrotto.

It is unlikely that I'd be a better glasser or find more game if I went with an Outdoorsmans or any other alpha tripod compared to my Manfrotto.

I recommend buying a mid-range tripod and spend the money on an alpha head. However, we all get to spend our money however we feel like.

Norm555

WKR
Another vote for yes it's worth it. I have the compact tripod and their pan head. Very happy I spent the money years later for this quality gear.

Aw25833

FNG
I have an older medium tripod and I love the single extension legs. Makes for a much quicker and more simple setup but you do sacrifice some on the size when packed down. The new standard is a great option from what I've seen.

I run the micro pan head and pistol grip head with a quick change adaptor.

AKaDougie

FNG
I have had the medium compact for years with no issues.
I have changed from the micro pan head to the pan head, just feels better to me.
My tripod as seen many spotting scopes, just wish I would have bought a better spotting scope years ago.

handwerk

WKR
They are nice tripods for sure, I owned and liked the medium but in the end, sold it and got a lighter, taller promaster 525C from Doug and stuck a nice chunk of leftover dough in my pocket...I've no regrets. I do still use the outdoorman's pan head.

medic man

FNG
Love mine! It has come off the quad when I didn’t have it strapped down tight, maybe a scratch and that’s it! They are built like tanks...... yes they might be a little heavier than a carbon tripod....... I have been pretty damn hard on my medium with a micro pan head....... if you want a tripod that will last get one........ they might not be as sexy as a carbon tripod, but they hold up to abuse on daily basis and have always performed for me...

JDB9818

WKR
I went from a Promaster 525c to my Outdoorsmans medium using their pan head last year. Great decision for me. The Promaster was nice but I like my Outdoorsmans much better. Very stable using a 88mm spotter or 15's and worth the money to me.

Their tripod is great, I have used them. I was trying out their new fluid head with a tall tripod at their store this last weekend. It was a very nice set up with the BTX, very stable and smooth from the standing position. I put my Really Right Stuff tripod right next to the Outdoorsmans tall tripod and switched back and forth between 12x50 ELs and the BTX. The legs lock very positively, everything on the tripod is quality machined aluminum.

In my opinion the Outdoorsmans is “alpha“ level tripod and head, kind of like comparing Swaros to Vortex.

The fact the Outdoorsmans is made in USA 🇺🇸 is a great thing too. Almost all the other tipods are made in communist china. Of course the commies can make stuff cheaper with their slave labor...

Dobermann

WKR
Outdoorsman's tripods are great, but the customer service is phenomenal. Their reps have always gone out of their way to help me with any questions or issues i had. If you're still considering on i would suggest getting on live chat or calling them and they will help you out.;

My experience with their customer service over email was incredibly frustrating ... emails would go unanswered for weeks, I'd have to re-send them, the person I was dealing with wouldn't answer all the questions I sent (which were simply for basic practical information not included on their website), which meant re-asking the questions, more unanswered emails ... and by then they'd forgotten the thread of the conversation.

I really wanted to buy an Outdoorsmans, but walked away because of this. Calling was a bit tricky as I'm on the other side of the world, and the time difference wouldn't work well.

I still want to buy one, but Aw's suggestion above to call them might be the better option for others who want to talk through the pros and cons of the different options, get advice on heads, and what mounts are needed, etc.