Outdoorsy Career Path for Civil/Structural Engineer

Mojave

WKR
Get on USA Jobs.

I am assuming you are not a veteran.

So the job has to be open to all US Citizens.

Engineering jobs commonly are.

Every agency that has buildings has engineers.

The core outdoor ones are the Army Corps of Engineers, GSA, NAVFAC, Army and Air Force Installations Management Command, Bureau of Reclamation and outfits like WAPA. These will either be dams, bridges, or major construction.

Interior/Wildlife Agencies will also have a few similar engineers, but they will be more dyke, levy, road work.

I work for a DOD agency and have been doing the environmental/safety thing for 10 years. Send me a PM if you have more questions. I am in Europe, so it might take a few days to get back to you as we aren't on the same schedule.

lak2004

WKR
Curious where you're at 4 years later as I have a similar dilemma. I've worked for a civil engineering consulting firm for 6 years now and don't get out nearly as much as I'd like to while at work. Would love to get out in the field more. Been looking into civil engineering positions at USACE and USDA.
Look at Bureau of Reclamation, I moved over from NRCS and am much happier.

Beendare

WKR
Is there any segue into starting or working for more of a design/build company where you can spend more time in the field?

Thats what I do…and love it…its hard to retire.

it seems to me that a guy with your knowledge and experience, it would be silly to totally change it up and go into something that’s totally different and going to be a lot less paycheck.

As several others have said, get on USA Jobs. Plenty of agencies to choose from to find a fit.

I’m a fed Remedial PM/Engineer. Spent 5 years at a consulting firm and essentially lived in small airplanes and remote AK. That’s fun before kids show up. Now that I have kids, I don’t want to fight for family time with a boss that is bidding remote projects. I essentially know my schedule for the year and it will change very little. And I’m able to schedule just enough field work/visits. A non supervisory GS13/supervisory GS14 is the sweet spot for work load/pay/vacation time/family time/work hours IMO. And I can still pick up some remote projects and bank a bunch of comp time if I wanted.

I'm in a similar situation, although I only have 4 years of work experience so far. I specialized in structures because I used to help my dad frame houses and barns, and I liked being able to apply calculations to stuff that I enjoyed doing. However, I have been stuck behind a computer and definitely don't get out as much as I like.

My situation has been complicated recently by my dad passing away, and I added helping to manage the family guest ranch and guiding in the fall to help keep the family business afloat. It's fun work, but the pay isnt there to be a full time gig. The combination of two almost full time jobs isn't sustainable, but I'm young and dont have a family, but I will need a change soon. I don't have my PE yet, but im hoping to stick it out until I can sit for it soon.

Like others have said, I too looked into the forest service, and seems like it would be a good fit for your criteria, although you might take a pay cut. (My dad worked for the NPS, and although he didn't make as much as private, the insurance and other benefits really paid off while he had huge medical expenses from cancer).

A consulting gig would also be a good fit for you if you're up for it, I know in the Bozeman/Big Sky area there is a huge demand for remodel engineering that is often times too small for firms to take on, but a small consulting firm could be quite lucrative in that area if you can establish a good network with contractors. Many times this wouldn't need site visits if you can get good existing contract documents/ contractor photos.

I own a small consulting engineering firm in Alaska that specializes in field work. Our civil / geotechnical engineers and surveyors each spent 50+ days in the field last season. And by "field", I don't mean local project inspections. I mean sending those engineers to every far flung corner of Alaska to solve thorny client problems. I put 300+ miles on a Ski-doo SWT for a job in the Alaska Range last week and we are dispatching a surveyor to Utqiagvik in a few days. Next up after that is a job north of Nome with helicopters and snowmachines. We will have people in boats, ATV's, helicopters, and bush planes every week this summer. So such a thing as active outdoor civil field work does exist, although desk work is of course a part as well.

As noted by schmaltz above, it's not for everyone. Most engineers I know think what we do is cool, but family, fishing and weekends are a priority. That's entirely valid. The crew I've got now though is exceptionally good at it, and we are booked solid in that niche. I'm always recruiting for engineers with a high mosquito tolerance, good boots, and working knowledge of horizontal construction.

I'm a little bit in the same boat, 2 years out of college, in the office 99% of the time. I'm one of the top CAD designers in the smaller consulting firm. They would rather pay other EIT's to do field work because I am the more profitable then them on the design side.
I see a job listed with the forest service in a pretty neat area that I am thinking about applying for. Seems it would be a little bit of a raise, but I'm unsure on PTO when starting out working for the government? I currently get 3 weeks, and its not enough.
I've got a wife and few month old kid, ideally the wife never has to go back to work also.

Mojave

WKR
As several others have said, get on USA Jobs. Plenty of agencies to choose from to find a fit.

I’m a fed Remedial PM/Engineer. Spent 5 years at a consulting firm and essentially lived in small airplanes and remote AK. That’s fun before kids show up. Now that I have kids, I don’t want to fight for family time with a boss that is bidding remote projects. I essentially know my schedule for the year and it will change very little. And I’m able to schedule just enough field work/visits. A non supervisory GS13/supervisory GS14 is the sweet spot for work load/pay/vacation time/family time/work hours IMO. And I can still pick up some remote projects and bank a bunch of comp time if I wanted.
I am not understanding how a GS-13/14 is the sweet spot. A supervisory anything in the government is a pain int he rear. I often think back and wish I was a maxed out GS-12 non-supervisory. If you find a non-supervisory GS-13 kill them and apply for their job.

I turned down a non-supervisory GS-14 3 years ago. I still regret it. They were playing some stupid games in the hiring action and I should have just taken the job and shut my mouth. But I have a big mouth and it wouldn't work.

Leave accrual is the worst part about being a new employee. 4 hours per pay period, for the first 3 years, 26 pay periods in a year. Still more than most jobs give. 6 hours at 3-15 years. 8 hours at 15 years.

I have been on the hiring panel of a lot of engineers. We generally do not hire outside government for GS-13 and GS-14 positions.

Most engineers are hired on a GS-7 to GS-12 ladder. GS-13 first time civil servants that are not veterans are super rare. The HR pay setting regulations on GS-11's having to have a PHD or XXX years of experience is what makes them rare. A GS-12 has to have a year at GS-11, and a GS-13 has to have a year at GS-13 or qualifying experience. So finding a GS-13 that is a first time gov is going to be super rare. Not saying it doesn't happen, just rare.

Mojave

WKR
I'm a little bit in the same boat, 2 years out of college, in the office 99% of the time. I'm one of the top CAD designers in the smaller consulting firm. They would rather pay other EIT's to do field work because I am the more profitable then them on the design side.
I see a job listed with the forest service in a pretty neat area that I am thinking about applying for. Seems it would be a little bit of a raise, but I'm unsure on PTO when starting out working for the government? I currently get 3 weeks, and its not enough.
I've got a wife and few month old kid, ideally the wife never has to go back to work also.
PTO is called leave in the government.

As I wrote above:

Annual leave: 4 hours per pay period, for the first 3 years, 26 pay periods in a year. Still more than most jobs give. 6 hours at 3-15 years. 8 hours at 15 years.

Sick leave: 4 hours a per pay period.

So 16 total hours per month, basically.

24 days per year. Plus all federal holidays. Ends up being over 34 days a year.

I use sick leave all the time to do stupid shit for myself that would be regular leave for anyone else.

If you find a non-supervisory GS-13 kill them and apply for their job.

Most engineers are hired on a GS-7 to GS-12 ladder. GS-13 first time civil servants that are not veterans are super rare. The HR pay setting regulations on GS-11's having to have a PHD or XXX years of experience is what makes them rare. A GS-12 has to have a year at GS-11, and a GS-13 has to have a year at GS-13 or qualifying experience. So finding a GS-13 that is a first time gov is going to be super rare. Not saying it doesn't happen, just rare.

I guess I am one of the GS13 non supervisory unicorns. Was hired as a 12 from a 11/12/13 job announcement then bumped to 13 after a year. I have no masters, PhD, or PE. I worked directly with my current agency while working for the state and that was essentially a 3 year job interview. So when the position came open, I was able to apply and it was hard for them to look past my experience for a PhD with no experience.

I’ll edit to add that my counterparts that I directly work with at USACE and civilian USAF are non supervisor 13s as well. So they’re out there. I think as the private sector keeps widening the pay gap with federal employees for certain high demand industry, they seem to have no choice but to bump folks up the scale or not fill positions.

The leave time was a downgrade, but they are great with letting me work a few extra hours a week to comp and that adds up quick. Plus traveling out of state a couple times a year adds 3-4 days worth of leave from the extra time earned. It’s also worth asking about starting at a higher step if you can show you’ll be taking a pay cut by switching from private sector to fed.

Last edited:

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Mining pays pretty decent for civils. There are companies out there that let you live in very hunting friendly states. Though, a lot of mines are very remote and/or require you to live in a company town.

Industry is weird, if you make it past a couple years you're usually a lifer.

Seth

WKR
@ReaptheHeat is onto a great, private sector option. Challenging engineering, project mgmt, and environmental work, great pay/benefits, beautiful areas in hunting friendly states. It’s a lot easier to scout when I can be in my elk unit in 15 minutes. I’m outside often for work, been in the industry over 20 years (Mining Engineer), worked with some great civil and mechanical engineers, and can’t see myself doing anything else.

Mojave

WKR
USACE US Army Corps of Engineers is a heck of a deal if you can a position you want in a location you want.

The Air Force and the Navy are ok as a civil servant. Not great.

The Army is a great place to be a civil servant. Especially in "public works" or with Army Test and Evaluation command.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
@ReaptheHeat is onto a great, private sector option. Challenging engineering, project mgmt, and environmental work, great pay/benefits, beautiful areas in hunting friendly states. It’s a lot easier to scout when I can be in my elk unit in 15 minutes. I’m outside often for work, been in the industry over 20 years (Mining Engineer), worked with some great civil and mechanical engineers, and can’t see myself doing anything else.
Or you can hunt the mine property for elk!

Crusader

WKR
I guess I am one of the GS13 non supervisory unicorns. Was hired as a 12 from a 11/12/13 job announcement then bumped to 13 after a year. I have no masters, PhD, or PE. I worked directly with my current agency while working for the state and that was essentially a 3 year job interview. So when the position came open, I was able to apply and it was hard for them to look past my experience for a PhD with no experience.

I’ll edit to add that my counterparts that I directly work with at USACE and civilian USAF are non supervisor 13s as well. So they’re out there. I think as the private sector keeps widening the pay gap with federal employees for certain high demand industry, they seem to have no choice but to bump folks up the scale or not fill positions.

The leave time was a downgrade, but they are great with letting me work a few extra hours a week to comp and that adds up quick. Plus traveling out of state a couple times a year adds 3-4 days worth of leave from the extra time earned. It’s also worth asking about starting at a higher step if you can show you’ll be taking a pay cut by switching from private sector to fed.
I'm similar to you; I work for Air Force Civil Engineering, doing environmental management work. I'm in natural resources management, a non-supervisory GS-13 as are all of my colleagues.

Regarding Mojave's comment about USACE being better place to work than USAF as a civilian --I would say that depends on many things, the directorate, the particular office/location, etc. Where I am, the Air Force is a much more desirable place to work than the local USACE district; I have colleagues who have worked both and much prefer the AF.

I do concur with someone above who recommended using USAJOBS; get a profile there, set up a search using your desired criteria, and start looking at opportunities. They are out there.