Outdoorsy Career Path for Civil/Structural Engineer

treillw

WKR
I have a degree in Civil Engineering with a specialization in structures. I have been designing bridges for the past 11 years. I've been lucky to work on some pretty cool projects - truss bridges, historic structure rehabilitations, an 1800 foot long new bridge, etc. I think I've got a pretty good resume in the bridge world and a pretty good gig with the company that I'm at now. I just can't help but feel like I'm not built to sit in an office and stare at a computer screen for my whole life, nitpicking the gnats ass. I'm considering going in another direction.

Part of me wishes that I would have gone for mechanical engineering and got a job with a firearm or bow manufacturer; something I'm passionate about that doesn't feel like work. I'd say I have an above average affinity for bridges, but how excited can somebody really get about them?

I don't really want to go back to school. Getting an entry level position of that nature would likely be a pretty good pay cut. I don't have any other wonderful ideas that excite me too much. Maybe more inspection/field work? That might be my best bet. Do you guys have any other good ideas, or should I just keep riding the desk until I die? On one hand I know that work isn't supposed to be a basket of kittens and rainbows, but doing something you're passionate about would be nice. We do spend a very large portion of our lives working after all.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

lak2004

WKR
What about a job with NRCS-natural resource conservation service? Would still be on the computer, but would have the opportunity for field visits. Government benefits, but the pay may be less.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Land surveying is often an easy crossover for CEs. It takes some technical knowledge, some understanding of legal matters, CAD skills, and good professional judgement.

I worked in MT for 11 years in MT before moving to ND, and I’m licensed in MT, ND, and UT. I’ve been able to reasonably balance outdoor and indoor work.

PM me if you want more details.

CJohnson

WKR
I'm in kind of the same boat. I'm an Electrical Engineer and get a good balance of working in the office and being on job sites solving problems. At the end of the day though, I find myself just going through the motions until it's time to go on the next big hunt. I tell myself that the quickest way to destroy my passion for something is to make it my job. Not sure if I believe that 100% or not.

I will say that engineers (myself included) have a problem pigeon-holing ourselves into our profession. If you have a good grasp on engineering principles, you can really do almost anything. I started out in environmental work and transitioned to electrical work really easily. I also have a couple of side gigs that I picked up fairly easily.

boom

WKR
i am a Civil Engineer. i work for the Bridge Department of a State Transportation agency. mega projects. big money.

i am a field engineer at the Resident Engineer level. i run the projects in the field. you designers send out the plans and specs, i make it happen in the field. i stay involve in the design phase and do construct-ability reviews.

some days are a bitch..tough. i had an old timer say, " we are in the business of solving problems, today was a good business day.." (not all plans come out perfect :))

i love the autonomy. i come and go, and do my work. i am blessed working HWY one along the northern CA coast. i see game, i see fishable areas. it is hoot.

when i was a kid, i never imagined a job like this would fit me. and i never thought in my wildest dreams i would make this kinda money. (not huge, by private sector perspective - but i am fine)

having said that, my expercience can get me places. Duck Unlimited have a field eng dept. so does park services. wish i was younger and didnt have a mortgage.

Try Washington DNR. They use engineers for timber sale work. Weyco, Rayonier Idaho Dept of Lands also have some engineers on staff. If you have questions about FE work PM me.

A couple months ago there was an article in the ducks unlimited magazine about all the engineers they have working for them doing levys, wetland restoration, etc. it sounded like a pretty good gig.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I'm an Environmental Engineer myself. So my job gets me outside more than a lot of engineers. If I would you I'd look into the Forest Service or DOT jobs. My gf works for the forest service and they have civil engineers that do all sorts of cool things on the forest.

I’m a civil/ structural PE. Have you obtained your PE license? If not, set that as a goal & that should open many more opportunities to work for other companies or to open your own firm. You don't have to actually do design everyday, just having the designation will make you more valuable to a company.

Think about related fields of work or services that you could provide for companies that you have knowledge about. A natural fit for engineering is construction. I now do design / build services and focus on commercial general contracting. Much more interesting & much less desk time.

Leverage your contacts & working relationships.

Open a small business so that the hard work you put in will make you wealthy instead of someone else.

The whole thing about people “loving” what they do is (for most people) a pipe dream. Very few people can honestly say that. I look at work as a means to an end. I try to work hard & earn enough money so I don’t have to put up with other people’s BS if I don’t want to. That amount of money is different for everyone.

Consider this: Don’t be afraid to try something completely out of your “training” or expertise. Find a niche and be the best at it you can be. I actually made the most money in a year I ever have by doing something as far removed from engineering as possible.

There are so many opportunities out there for those who want to take the initiative & risk to be successful.

GOOD LUCK!

AKG

FNG
The forest service owns and maintains a lot of road and trail bridges. In service safety inspections, design, and construction inspection will get you outside quite a bit.

One more thing related to your field of expertise:
there's a HUGE opportunity out there for doing bridge repair/ maintenance.
There's thousands of substandard bridges that will need to be repaired / maintained now and in the future & they're located all across the country.

+1 Get your PE?
a friend is a civil engineer for the Bureau of Reclamation. Spends time inspecting sites (dams mostly) and some desk work. all depends on your location and specific job.

As mentioned though, disposable income $$ is probably the biggest factor in you being able to go on the hunts you dream of....

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Thank you for the advice - it gets the wheels turning. Keep it coming!

Yes I am a PE for those of you that asked.

2ski

WKR
Are you the reason the new bridge over the Missouri by Toston is taking years to finish.....? Lol

I have no advice. Just that right where you are is where you're supposed to be. That doesn't mean stay put. If you move jobs, then that's where you're supposed to be. Because everywhere you are you learn something about you, about life, and you make your next decision based on what you learned. Just be okay with being uncomfortable and you'll be fine wherever you are or go next.

vince_n

FNG
I have a degree in Civil Engineering with a specialization in structures. I have been designing bridges for the past 11 years. I've been lucky to work on some pretty cool projects - truss bridges, historic structure rehabilitations, an 1800 foot long new bridge, etc. I think I've got a pretty good resume in the bridge world and a pretty good gig with the company that I'm at now. I just can't help but feel like I'm not built to sit in an office and stare at a computer screen for my whole life, nitpicking the gnats ass. I'm considering going in another direction.

Part of me wishes that I would have gone for mechanical engineering and got a job with a firearm or bow manufacturer; something I'm passionate about that doesn't feel like work. I'd say I have an above average affinity for bridges, but how excited can somebody really get about them?

I don't really want to go back to school. Getting an entry level position of that nature would likely be a pretty good pay cut. I don't have any other wonderful ideas that excite me too much. Maybe more inspection/field work? That might be my best bet. Do you guys have any other good ideas, or should I just keep riding the desk until I die? On one hand I know that work isn't supposed to be a basket of kittens and rainbows, but doing something you're passionate about would be nice. We do spend a very large portion of our lives working after all.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Curious where you're at 4 years later as I have a similar dilemma. I've worked for a civil engineering consulting firm for 6 years now and don't get out nearly as much as I'd like to while at work. Would love to get out in the field more. Been looking into civil engineering positions at USACE and USDA.