Outer Layer for Mountain Goat hunt

huntMT

FNG
I drew a mountain goat tag for Montana this year. I have pretty good equipment (optics, boots, pack base layer clothes, etc) but one thing I don't have is a good outer layer. I've always used Wal-Mart quality outer layer clothes, which has worked fine for day hunts from the house or camp, and even some 4-5 day back county elk hunts. However, this hunt is obviously different. While I am still in the early planning stages, I am expecting to set up camp in the 8,000' area and expect to be hunting in the 10,000' area and planning to be in the back country for a few weeks.

I am looking for pants, shirts, and a jacket that offer some wind and water resistance while also being warm. Something that will keep me warm and dry during a light rain or snow storm, I have rain gear I can put on if it starts raining too hard. The camo pattern isn't super important to me, as long as it breaks up my outline/pattern. I want to buy a couple pairs of pants and shirts so Sitka and similarly priced products are out of my price range. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rcb2000

WKR
Might be helpful to mention what temps/conditions you anticipate, as well was what you already have for clothing from base layers and up.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I drew a mountain goat tag for Montana this year. I have pretty good equipment (optics, boots, pack base layer clothes, etc) but one thing I don't have is a good outer layer. I've always used Wal-Mart quality outer layer clothes, which has worked fine for day hunts from the house or camp, and even some 4-5 day back county elk hunts. However, this hunt is obviously different. While I am still in the early planning stages, I am expecting to set up camp in the 8,000' area and expect to be hunting in the 10,000' area and planning to be in the back country for a few weeks.

I am looking for pants, shirts, and a jacket that offer some wind and water resistance while also being warm. Something that will keep me warm and dry during a light rain or snow storm, I have rain gear I can put on if it starts raining too hard. The camo pattern isn't super important to me, as long as it breaks up my outline/pattern. I want to buy a couple pairs of pants and shirts so Sitka and similarly priced products are out of my price range. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
FORLOH was created with this adventurous spirit in mind, for those that believe the journey begins where the trail ends, who seek to venture beyond the known into the unknown. We are all hunters. Whether it's hunting for fish and game, searching out unique camping spots, or traveling in search of untouched powder stashes. The true reward lies in creating meaningful time outdoors, connecting with the natural world around us and those we’ve taken along for the journey. At FORLOH we help create those experiences with innovative, technical clothing, while also bringing back ‘American Made’ to the outdoor industry, no matter the pursuit. A true leader doesn't just attract followers; they inspire more leaders. Changing the industry isn't just about FORLOH; it's about all of us.

Based in Whitefish, MT

OP
H

huntMT

FNG
Might be helpful to mention what temps/conditions you anticipate, as well was what you already have for clothing from base layers and up.
Temps are almost impossible to predict at those elevations and that time of year. Montana gets crazy weather so it could be anywhere from -20 to 50 degrees. Huge range of temps I know, but that's just how the weather is up here.

I have a set of under armor 3.0 thermals and a set of under armor 4.0 thermals. I generally run Wal-mart quality pants and a shirt with a heavy Wal-mart quality jacket. Does the trick for most hunts. I have a good set of Irish Setter 400 gram insulate boots, good beanie and gloves.

rcb2000

WKR
I would recommend either spending the bulk in
-a solid down puffy ($300-$400),, Stone Glacier Grumman, Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends
OR
-Decent puffy ($100-$200) Forclaz Decathlon, First lite Uncompaghre, AND pair it with a decent rain/snow shell like an OR Forray ($150)

Puffy. Pick your poison ,down or synthetic. I would recommend an attached hood (permanent) because where you are going wind is the reality. As far as warmth level that depends on your needs and other insulation.

WCB

WKR
for an actual outerlayer for wind or rain/moisture...get a quality set of raingear. I wear mine for a wind layer and obviously moisture. Best part is every thing underneath stays dry and if it is relatively warm out or you are hiking your butt off it is a lot nicer to be able to have tshirt or light shirt under and hike.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
-20 and 8-10k is a tough scene, most of the stuff you’re describing isn’t exactly ideal for the country…..and depending on how long you are packing in will drive some of this. Where and how long will drive how important that rain setup is. Tarp can help you get by with something more basic.

Boots: if you’re planning on being effective I that kind of country, I’d be looking for a mountain boot. I’d pair those with some darn tough or similar wool socks you can rotate. Would 110% get some microspikes if you’re going to try for more hair (ie October)

I agree on the puffy that’s a critical layer for sure, you need it to stay warm as well as re-warm. That SG one is really nice for the weight but isn’t cheap.

Layers: pants, outer hard shell, insulating, mid, base. Base layers should be thin and effective at moving moisture. I like the lighter merino personally. Mid can be a cheap fleece in earth tone. For pant bottoms, I’d watch the sales and try and get a mid-weight pant that’s synthetic and can dry reasonably quick. The Born Primative stuff was kinda targeted as technical layers for not so expensive/everyday kinda guys not looking to go full $/sitka etc.

You’ve got some time so watch some sales (go hunt, the hunting brands, REI, et ) and you should be able to upgrade pretty easily. Since you have a thread going getting specific feedback on pieces should be easier.

Last thing - if you’re going at it solo, weight is really going to matter. Less is more is a good mantra.