Outfitter or DIY- Kodiak

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a sudden itch to hunt blacktail. I've had an infatuation with Alaska since I discovered what the northern lights were as a kid. Why not mix them both? I've started looking into outfitters on kodiak and I love the idea of the do it yourself hunt as well. I'd like to start getting some plans in the works for this hunt to take place in 2021 or 2022. But because there are so many outfitters for that department I figured I'd jump on here and see if anyone has any personal preference on outfitters or any input on the hunt itself and what it would take. This is all a bit out of my realm but I'm on the verge of obsessed about pushing myself to do new challenging hunts for myself and this is one I want above most. Any and all input in much appreciated. Thanks guys!

cocky84

WKR
there are pros and cons to each. You can do it by yourself for a fraction of the cost where as an outfitter gonna be at least $3000.
there are some refuge cabins to rent or rent a camp.
As a non resident, i personally would only pay a guide for species im required to have one.

Next time, I'm either flying in and camping or paying a more reputable transporter like Kodiak Combos.

HoneyDew

WKR
Next time, I'm either flying in and camping or paying a more reputable transporter like Kodiak Combos.
You say “more reputable” transporter. Does that mean you’ve done this hunt before and didn’t like the outfit you used? Would you mind sharing the outfits name? If not would you mind PMing it to me? Not looking to bash anyone but first hand references are fair game.

You say “more reputable” transporter. Does that mean you’ve done this hunt before and didn’t like the outfit you used? Would you mind sharing the outfits name? If not would you mind PMing it to me? Not looking to bash anyone but first hand references are fair game.

I'll send you a message.

I went last November, kind of short notice (booked in June), we saw more human sign than bear scat and more boats than bucks.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I booked with Jay from Vertigo air days before our hunt.

We had planned a haul road trip for more than a year, and I threw out the idea to hunt blacktail and caribou. We booked Jay and flights from Anchorage to Kodiak less than a week before.

Jay can land you on a lake or some bays. There is one spot to hunt caribou and deer. We got two bou and three deer. There is a solo hunter video of the same thing we did...

There are deer all over Kodiak.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kodiak is too far south for the Northern lights...

We went in September. We saw one other camp in 9 days 8 nights.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seen the lights many times from Kodiak.

Dang, we didn't and we were hoping to. I looked online, and it said you needed to be higher.

Well, believing the internet got me again.

Thanks for the correction.

mcseal2

WKR
I’m researching the same hunt for 2022. Pretty early in the process. The first thing I’ve found that needs decided:

Fly in/camp hunt early in the season to a lake or November rut hunt. The November hunts it sounds like are great but you camp low and spend a few hours each day gaining elevation fighting really thick vegetation each way.

Also need to keep an eye on winter kill and plan around that I’ve heard.

Thats all from research and I’m just starting on it. Take the advice of people with real experience over mine.