Outside Magazine increases hunting coverage

Poser

WKR
Anyone else noticed this trend? The comments are total shitshows. The content is mostly uninterested and at least slightly cringeworthy. I’d find it more interesting if they talked more about how recreation is fragmenting habitat and stressing animals etc.

Nonetheless, it is interesting. In the past, they’ve run an occasional think piece by Steve Rinella

5ef73e64e70a209b04c2299001cf5ddb.jpg

8a9eacb1d9c6aecae97bee1b99b9b515.jpg

Mtnboy

WKR
I saw that promotion for the HUSH article this morning and decided I'd read some of the comments.....man there are some not bright people in the world.

It's also always fascinating to watch how both sides will use the same "facts" to justify their argument.

Hell of an interesting world we live in these days.

Words like 'Hush' and 'rebrand' make me cringe. So does the picture of that dude with his bugle tube and pack...

Facebook comments are why I quit facebooking.

ODB

WKR
Understand, they aren’t breaking boundaries really in regards to hunting, they have just been able to create a lucrative revenue stream that advertisers and manufacturers are willing to buy into at the same time they ignore that it’s based on killing animals, which is still taboo to a hell of a lot of people.

e.g. Paid Partnership with Can-Am.

CorbLand

WKR
By bringing flat bills, new lingo, and punk kids that are in it only for the kill photos into the hunting culture.
Just like the generation of scopes, magnum cartridges and semi automatic rifles ruined everything too.

3forks

WKR
Outside Magazine used to be a great publication in the late seventies, eighties, and early nineties.

As Schaaf pointed out, the magazine sucks now, and I’d pick up a Teen Beat magazine to read before I’d choose to flip through the pages of Outside.

At one point though, Outside consisted of articles that were written by people who were inspired to explore or innovate, and focused on an objective. The magazine and its stories showed that adventure was something that was achievable by anyone who wanted to try something new. Now, ”adventure” is sold as a cliched lifestyle that the reader can experience too if they just buy the recommended gear and follow the steps the author specifically lays out for them. In the past, articles were an effort to recount people’s adventures and inspire others, but they didn’t provide the specifics like a recipe for others to duplicate. Now, articles are intended to inspire people guy gear, then provide a top 10 list of places where someone should go use that gear.

Outside, and magazines like it consist of fluff, and contrived gear reviews paid for by manufacturers which are designed to get you to click on their links. It stands to reason that Outside would want to capitalize on this “new component of the hunting culture”.

CorbLand

WKR
Keep telling yourself that.

Next time you put on your flat bill don't tuck your ears in, It looks silly.
My head is too round for a flat brim but generally, I try not to think I am so much better than someone simply because of the hat I choose to wear.

My point is this. Every generation has ruined everything and does everything wrong according to the previous generation. 16 years ago I was told that semi auto rifles are the end of hunting while going through hunters ed. My grandpa thought anything over a .270 was stupid. Now its Instagram and YouTube. Guess what, my kids will probably show up with some new gadget that I will think is stupid too.

You can hate on Hush all you want, I do it too, but what Hush has done is the pinnacle of capitalism. They took a risk, used resources to their advantage and built a successful business doing what they love.

Last edited:
OP
P

Poser

WKR
If we’re going to talk about which generation ruined hunting:

All of the 19th century generations who hunted out entire species and killed everything.

The Greatest Generation: they didn’t know much about hunting at all because there wasn’t much left to hunt. So, they made up a bunch of untruths and taught them to Boomers like the gospel:

“You got to slit a deer’s throat ASAP to let the blood out”

“Soak the meat in salt water”

Etc.

And then there are the Boomers who ran up the hunting lease game and killed all of the private land access.

TheTone

WKR
You can hate on Hush all you want, I do it too, but what Hush has done is the pinnacle of capitalism. They took a risk, used resources to their advantage and built a successful business doing what they love.
What they love? Casey basically started it because his brother was making millions off dumb “family” videos on YouTube so he found a market he could exploit as well. From what I remember it wasn’t too popular until he brought on two “friends” with a bit more cred and now we have “hushin”.

def90

WKR
I do work for the owner or I should say ex owner of Outside, he sold the magazine and video channel this past spring so I would think that you should see some changes coming through as the new owners look to push and prod some buttons to see what works and doesn't.

I used to subscribe to some of these mags years ago, the problem is that you can only write so many articles before you are just rehashing the same great hikes, secret camping spots and dream trips. It seems with most mags as a subscriber you get about two years of fresh content before you start seeing the same old same old.

As for print media and online presence it's a tough world out there. You are in a never ending struggle of drawing attention to your page, selling clicks to advertisers and staying fresh, it's a tough business.

Okhotnik

WKR
Then we have millennials and gen y and gen z who didn’t grow up hunting and were attracted to hunting because of social media and pod casts. Interesting that they think they can redefine thousands of years of hunting traditions by drinking iIpa s, posting endless selfies , purchasing trendy culturallly Trendy and appropriate hunting gear and supporting gun bans and incorporating social justice causes and ridiculous virtue signaling into hunting (culture (ie too many white males hunt Schlick ).

they “get it” and everyone else is a mouth breathing trash

it’s a great trend , companies can market and sell a lot of schit to them, and their mommies think they”re super special!

CorbLand

WKR
What they love? Casey basically started it because his brother was making millions off dumb “family” videos on YouTube so he found a market he could exploit as well. From what I remember it wasn’t too popular until he brought on two “friends” with a bit more cred and now we have “hushin”.
Either way, it’s the American dream. Does everyone in this world love their job?

Mt Al

WKR
Outside Magazine used to be a great publication in the late seventies, eighties, and early nineties.

....Outside consisted of articles that were written by people who were inspired to explore or innovate, and focused on an objective. The magazine and its stories showed that adventure was something that was achievable by anyone who wanted to try something new. ........ In the past, articles were an effort to recount people’s adventures and inspire others....

Outside, and magazines like it consist of fluff, and contrived gear reviews paid for by manufacturers which are designed to get you to click on their links. It stands to reason that Outside would want to capitalize on this “new component of the hunting culture”.

Could not agree more, it was awesome way back and loved reading it. Many moons ago I was at a non-famous adventurer's house in the San Fernando Valley, he's in quite a few of Royal Robbins and Chouinard's pictures in the very early days. Just kept a low profile. On shelves on his living room walls he had every back issue of Outside and what he called Outside's predecessor, Maria Magazine, or something like that. I'd never heard of it, he wasn't surprised because "dude, you're too young and you're not core enough", he was right on not being core enough. This was mid 90's and he said Outside was on the way downhill, moving into selling gear to make people feel like they were living the lifestyle.

They used to have great articles!

WCB

WKR
Understand, they aren’t breaking boundaries really in regards to hunting, they have just been able to create a lucrative revenue stream that advertisers and manufacturers are willing to buy into at the same time they ignore that it’s based on killing animals, which is still taboo to a hell of a lot of people.

e.g. Paid Partnership with Can-Am.
guys have been doing that for years already....Trucks, ATVs, supplements, restraunts etc. The sponsorship/paid partnership is nothing new. It went from out door writers to VHS, then T.V. and DVDS. Using Youtube or Instagram etc isn't changing anything it is the natural evolution of the industry. They just started in the generation where Outdoor Chanel, Sportsman's, and Pursuit are complete junk and aren't popular anymore.