Over crowded Colorado units getting worse

Fatcamp

WKR
It’s not only more people hunting, it’s just as much or more so the rate we are losing hunting grounds ! Were we used to hunt 20-30, even 10 years ago, there are houses, shopping centers, paved roads, street lights etc. Animals are NEVER EVER returning to those areas. The mass building going on is destroying wildlife habitat at a very rapid rate, never to return. If hunters and antis could realize this, together we could at least slow it down. Hunting is doomed, for the generations to come. We are truly trashing this planet, at a faster and faster rate. I have given up hunting otc, and will gladly wait 4-8 years to draw a tag. If they would make it draw only, and limit the number of hunters it would be great. But they won’t ever do that do to “losing “ money.

I think you need to rewatch the beginning of "I Am Legend". 😉

Reactions: LWC

Mikido

WKR
Genius for them, frustrating for serious hunters dealing with the clowns and the crowds.

I understand your sentiment, but clowns don’t know they are clowns. Everyone thinks they’re a serious hunter, yet we’ve all passed through the clown stage.

Would you prefer 10 clowns with 7 falling off, and 3 becoming serious….or 10 clowns who become 10 serious?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It’s not only more people hunting, it’s just as much or more so the rate we are losing hunting grounds ! Were we used to hunt 20-30, even 10 years ago, there are houses, shopping centers, paved roads, street lights etc.
I don't know where you hunt, but I can go back over 40 years of my hunting and NONE of those areas are anywhere close to shopping centers, paved roads, street lights etc these days.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
back in the late 60's, early 1970's, I hunted a public land area of Snoqualmie, near town of Fall City, in WA State.
Couple nice lakes, several beaver ponds, creeks with the main Snoqualmie river below in the valley. Hiked onto a vista, could view Snoqualmie Falls from 1+ mile away.
At that time, Weyerhauser was main logging/tree company, their land areas open to the public with few restrictions. Now the new timber/land companies charge an access fee of $150 or more for one season!

Today that area is all subdivision houses, paved roads, small 7-11 type strip malls, Snoqualmie TPC golf course....
exactly where I used to hunt blacktail deer, grouse in the forests. Lakes, beaver ponds gone private, used to have good brook trout, rainbow fishing. No public access now.
Now all those house residents complain about deer, cougars, bears INVADING their HOMES, LANDS!

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I don't know where you hunt, but I can go back over 40 years of my hunting and NONE of those areas are anywhere close to shopping centers, paved roads, street lights etc these days.
Consider yourself lucky. I used to Pheasant hunt around Gettysburg, PA. when I was a teenager. All those fields are now filled with houses and convenience stores. Gettysburg and other small towns in PA have become a suburb for Baltimore and eastern MD. More affordable housing.

Consider yourself lucky. I used to Pheasant hunt around Gettysburg, PA. when I was a teenager. All those fields are now filled with houses and convenience stores. Gettysburg and other small towns in PA have become a suburb for Baltimore and eastern MD. More affordable housing.
Yeah all over CA the bird hunting has been built over to create more homes. In a lot of the big game states, I'll be the land has been protected better because it's national forests, not state or local public land.

It’s not only more people hunting, it’s just as much or more so the rate we are losing hunting grounds ! Were we used to hunt 20-30, even 10 years ago, there are houses, shopping centers, paved roads, street lights etc. Animals are NEVER EVER returning to those areas. The mass building going on is destroying wildlife habitat at a very rapid rate, never to return. If hunters and antis could realize this, together we could at least slow it down. Hunting is doomed, for the generations to come. We are truly trashing this planet, at a faster and faster rate. I have given up hunting otc, and will gladly wait 4-8 years to draw a tag. If they would make it draw only, and limit the number of hunters it would be great. But they won’t ever do that do to “losing “ money.

Not to worry. They’re about to unleash the wolves and will restore nature’s balance.

One thing I've noticed about western hunters is your definition of overcrowded is drastically different than east coast. PA in particular, density of hunters is typically anywhere from 3-10x what I've experienced in the west. We have never had problems getting away from most of the crowd and being far more successful than average.

I also tend to think rogan and Haynes (love them both) have created a fad, which will subside when soft people realize hunting isnt easy.

Last point I'd like to make, boomers almost certainly represent the largest generation of hunters. Ages like 55-75. Those guys are dieing off quickly in the current and coming years....

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and myself picked up a couple leftover mz cow tags this year after not drawing anything else. We had never hunted the September elk season and were both shocked at the amount of hunters. WAY more pressure than the 2nd rifle season that we typically like to hunt. If I was a Colorado resident I would be PISSED. That could explain why we only ran into 1 Colorado resident and he was MZ mule deer hunting...

The opportunities in Colorado are awesome but I just don't see how it can keep going down the same path. That goes for more than just hunting, the mountains in Colorado are just plain crowded!

Deadfall

WKR
Hang on here, I’m curious if the entire state is in this predicament, I know the southern most OTC units are suffering from it because they are closer to the units that just went into the draw.
Notice I said since the 90’s which is older than 3/4 of the people on this site.
would like to hear some reasonable responses, not a bunch of smart ass punk answers , if you can’t respond with some integrity then move on and don’t respond……
I started out hunting colorado in the early 80s with dad and uncles. When primos started taking office when we started seeing more people. Last time I hunted in Colorado was 2018. There were a pile of people. Elk were still doing tge same thing they always have. 2018 was kind of a reunion hunt for me. Had not hunted with family for several years before that.
Even with increased pressure elk were still being elk.

Here in montana I can say that extra surge of people is annoying at times, but has not really had tge impact on elk behavior that most say it does.
Been seeing guys do crazy stuff. Like ride the lazy mobile up into tge bottom of a basin, a tight basin, turn thing off, bugle half dozen times. 5 minutes ish fire up and motor back out. Usually spinning circles and tearing crap up.

See alot of guys bugle bugle bugle move. Repeat.

Think everyone getting to rely to much on technology and calls. While both are good tools, people are forgetting to actually hunt. Or maybe tge up and comers just simply don't know how to actually hunt.

I'm a OTC public land guy. This year is the first I've had any tome to hunt for myself in years. Usually helping others. Anyway, I'm in search of a 400. Have seen alot of of really really nice bulls. Have enjoyed the hell out of watching them, and napping under trees.
My point is elk are still elk. Patience is a virtue. Sit on trails and water longer. Take more naps. Enjoy the time spent more. Worry less.

Contrary to what most say. Elk still talk alot. Just gotta know what and why you saying what you saying.

My experience, the pressure doesn't matter that much. Ungalates know the game. They all have similar behavior. Like hunkering down and listening to bugle mania go crashing by. Or bounce a drainage then bounce back in a few days.

The surge of people will die off. After a few years of just hiking without success tge shine will fade. Something newer and shinier will take its place.

Love God, love your neighbor, work hard. Rest don't matter

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted all 30 days. I am a resident. I work hard all year to hunt as much as possible. That being said, In my unit i ran into maybe 10-15 camps but nobody dove into the drainages with elk. It was a great season.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I started out hunting colorado in the early 80s with dad and uncles. When primos started taking office when we started seeing more people. Last time I hunted in Colorado was 2018. There were a pile of people. Elk were still doing tge same thing they always have. 2018 was kind of a reunion hunt for me. Had not hunted with family for several years before that.
Even with increased pressure elk were still being elk.

Here in montana I can say that extra surge of people is annoying at times, but has not really had tge impact on elk behavior that most say it does.
Been seeing guys do crazy stuff. Like ride the lazy mobile up into tge bottom of a basin, a tight basin, turn thing off, bugle half dozen times. 5 minutes ish fire up and motor back out. Usually spinning circles and tearing crap up.

See alot of guys bugle bugle bugle move. Repeat.

Think everyone getting to rely to much on technology and calls. While both are good tools, people are forgetting to actually hunt. Or maybe tge up and comers just simply don't know how to actually hunt.

I'm a OTC public land guy. This year is the first I've had any tome to hunt for myself in years. Usually helping others. Anyway, I'm in search of a 400. Have seen alot of of really really nice bulls. Have enjoyed the hell out of watching them, and napping under trees.
My point is elk are still elk. Patience is a virtue. Sit on trails and water longer. Take more naps. Enjoy the time spent more. Worry less.

Contrary to what most say. Elk still talk alot. Just gotta know what and why you saying what you saying.

My experience, the pressure doesn't matter that much. Ungalates know the game. They all have similar behavior. Like hunkering down and listening to bugle mania go crashing by. Or bounce a drainage then bounce back in a few days.

The surge of people will die off. After a few years of just hiking without success tge shine will fade. Something newer and shinier will take its place.

Love God, love your neighbor, work hard. Rest don't matter

^preach it brotha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I've noticed about western hunters is your definition of overcrowded is drastically different than east coast. PA in particular, density of hunters is typically anywhere from 3-10x what I've experienced in the west. We have never had problems getting away from most of the crowd and being far more successful than average.

I also tend to think rogan and Haynes (love them both) have created a fad, which will subside when soft people realize hunting isnt easy.

Last point I'd like to make, boomers almost certainly represent the largest generation of hunters. Ages like 55-75. Those guys are dieing off quickly in the current and coming years....
I wouldn’t write off the boomers for at least another 30 years........