PA Great American Outdoor Show - Feb 4-12

It’s like SHOT show without all the mall ninjas.

Who’s going? I will be working the BHA membership booth Friday the 10th and then hitting up the show and the BHA beer fest that night.

I've convinced the wife to go because she's starting a school and wants to incorporate NASP into her program. Maybe I'll swing by the BHA booth to give you a high five

hiker270

WKR
Yes , I'll be in a booth Feb 6-10. Taking the weekends off. It's crowded all the time but the weekends are crazy. Too much to see in 1 day.

Skook

FNG
I've been attending off and on since I was a kid back in the seventies. It's always difficult to know whether nostalgic memories from the past were actually better than things are now, or if it's just my imagination, but I liked the show more way back when.

This was before computers and the Internet, so it was always fascinating to see different things that you might not even known had existed. The real value though seemed to be that it was almost like a flea market of vendors selling outdoor gear at great prices, much of which was unique and perhaps invented by the guy in the booth trying to sell it to you. There is still some of that, but now, like a lot of things, it has a much more corporate vibe.

It's still a great place to visit and a good way to spend a day in February. Enjoy the show....

I'll be there the last Saturday. I get there around 1:00 because the crowds thin out as the day goes on.

grfox92

WKR
I went to that show every year from 1999-2020.

If your not going to book a hunt there really aren't any "deals" to be had anymore.

It was always just something to do. But I live in Wyoming now and do miss going. I was trying to get to the Western Hunt Expo this year but it just wasn't in the cards. Not sure how it compares but I'm planning on going next year.

NB7

WKR
I've been attending off and on since I was a kid back in the seventies. It's always difficult to know whether nostalgic memories from the past were actually better than things are now, or if it's just my imagination, but I liked the show more way back when.

This was before computers and the Internet, so it was always fascinating to see different things that you might not even known had existed. The real value though seemed to be that it was almost like a flea market of vendors selling outdoor gear at great prices, much of which was unique and perhaps invented by the guy in the booth trying to sell it to you. There is still some of that, but now, like a lot of things, it has a much more corporate vibe.

It's still a great place to visit and a good way to spend a day in February. Enjoy the show....
I've done the same thing except my trips started in the late 80s. I'd say your assessment is spot on

Wworker

FNG
I'm planning on going but, over the last few years, even some major firearms manufacturers (S&W for example) aren't attending.

Trial153

WKR
I haven’t been there in years. Every year I think I will go and then I think better about it. Last few times I went it had a little to much of a county fair feel for me.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
I live in western PA and thought about going but firearm manufacturer attendence seems to be dwindling every year and more b.s. accessory, auto/utv/atv and outfitters/charters attendance are increasing. I wouldn't mind catching some of the dog demonstrations as I'm an upland bird hunter, but still debate if it's worth the 3.5hr drive, gas (highest gas tax in the U.S.) and $40 in tolls.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’m going to head up, I’ve never been to it before and it’s only a 2.5 hour drive from DC.

Mosby

WKR
I used to go to the "Farm Show" as a kid but haven't been there in several years. My oldest son recently moved back to the DC area and we were going to go this year. I had a flight and hotel booked but had to cancel both. Wife has to have surgery on Jan 27th and its going to take a while to get her back on her feet so I'm staying close to home. Hopefully next year.

Wildone

FNG
Five buddies from my deer camp and I will be there for the second weekend. It’s been an annual thing for 20 years. For those that haven’t been in a while , since the NRA took it over the county fair feel is a lot less prevalent. I guess you could say it’s more commercial fancy cowboy ish. LOL 😂 Still some hillbilly but not like it was before. I look at it as something to do with the crew in the dead of winter. Hit the show get some steaks have some laughs. We have fun.

I won't say the show isn't worth going, but it is far from what it used to be. I used to help a few days at a booth and would butter up to certain vendors and then clean house with some killer bargains on the last day.

Since NRA took over and you can't buy guns and many of the vendors selling worthwhile gear no longer in attendance it has not been near as enjoyable for me.

Good place to get your hands on bows and some other equipment or check out some outfitters if trip planning or booking a hunt is in your future.

The best thing about the show is that you get some new hunting "ideas". I've booked a number of hunts there even though I didn't go there for that purpose.

We go early in the morning, stay all day, and take a hotel. The next day we go to Cabelas, which is on the way back home.

7Bartman

WKR
I've been the last 10 or so years, but not really sure why I go. I guess I'm bored with hunting season being over. I'll probably head up Sunday just to check it out. Not a bad show if you're looking for an outfitted hunt or fishing trip.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Kids and I were up on Tuesday afternoon. There’s a lot to see and honestly we didn’t see probably half of the show. I was interested in getting my hands on tethrd one sticks and latitude’s new carbon climbing stick. I got to do both and also check out Out on a Limb’s slick Rick climbing stick. For me it was a productive day and provided the kids with a day out and they all enjoyed themselves.