PAC boots Schnee's Extreme vs. Kenetrek Northern

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
OK everyone i am doing it!!!

i do not know what the difference is between the Schnee's Extreme vs. Kenetrek Northern. i have looked everywhere to find what the difference is and i cannot. i have called both companies and they both have the story on what one is better.

i hunt in PA and i am in the need for a really warm PAC boot. please let me know what your experiences are and really what one is better. i have heard that the Kenetrek Northern is made overseas and that the Schnee's Extreme is made USA/ Canada but not 100% on that. i am really looking for all pros and cons for these 2 PAC boots.

thanks!

PNWGATOR

WKR
I was really, really happy with my older Schnees pacs. Since they’ve been re soled, not so much. They simply no longer fit my foot with their new bottom design. So, try before you buy as your experience may vary. Also, add the Hoffman pacs to your list of pacs to check out.

bruno59

WKR
I have the grizzlys and the hunter2 pacs from both companies side by side you can't tell the difference they both are nice pac boots i had a pair of the northerns but they were to heavy to do a lot of walking in so i sold them if you tree stand hunt or ice fish they would be great i think what ever one you can get a better price on go with that one i have had the schnees for about 10 years and the kennetreks for 5 and both are in great shape still i only use them in the snow during hunting season

OP
J

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
I was really, really happy with my older Schnees pacs. Since they’ve been re soled, not so much. They simply no longer fit my foot with their new bottom design. So, try before you buy as your experience may vary. Also, add the Hoffman pacs to your list of pacs to check out.

... do you know when they came out with the new bottom design? also i am hearing that the new rubber they are using is not so good anymore???

+1 on looking into the Hoffmans, they have a lot tougher bottoms than Schnees.

I don't own any Kenetreks, but own 3 pair of Schnees and 1 pair of Hoffmans.

Bob

OP
J

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on looking into the Hoffmans, they have a lot tougher bottoms than Schnees.

I don't own any Kenetreks, but own 3 pair of Schnees and 1 pair of Hoffmans.

Bob
thanks Bob! i am mostly going to be in the tree stand hunting in really cold temps in PA. did you like the Schnees you had? i dont really know a lot about Hoffmans but i do use Kenetrek in the Mountain Extreme 400 and i love them just will not cut it when it is -0.

I have the schnees hunter extremes and hunt late season pennsylvania and maryland whitetail from treestands. They are plenty warm for me with a light wool sock and some adhesive toe warmers.

Beware these boots run about a full size small with the liner system. I ordered one size up and they are great. Good to lace up and hike or sit a stand. I have almost 10 years of hard use on mine and they are going strong.

Some of my coworkers use the hoffman at work and they are tough as hell. I may try a set of them for my construction job.

Also for really Nast cold get a set of boot blankets. They make heavier boots than the schnees but they are impossible to walk in. I have used boot blankets over my schnees in Kansas but that was before I discovered adhesive toe warmers.

OP
J

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
I have the schnees hunter extremes and hunt late season pennsylvania and maryland whitetail from treestands. They are plenty warm for me with a light wool sock and some adhesive toe warmers.

Beware these boots run about a full size small with the liner system. I ordered one size up and they are great. Good to lace up and hike or sit a stand. I have almost 10 years of hard use on mine and they are going strong.

Some of my coworkers use the hoffman at work and they are tough as hell. I may try a set of them for my construction job.
thanks Brian! i will for sure be taking this advice as you know the PA temps im talking about. i just need to make my mind up on what ones i want.

thanks Bob! i am mostly going to be in the tree stand hunting in really cold temps in PA. did you like the Schnees you had? i dont really know a lot about Hoffmans but i do use Kenetrek in the Mountain Extreme 400 and i love them just will not cut it when it is -0.

The Schnees are nice, I would definitely buy them versus the Kenetrek as they are Made in America.
The couple of pair I still use (Schnees) are mostly for moose, caribou, grizzly hunting.
I always use uninsulated boots for anything warmer than 20 degrees. Hoffman doesn't currently have
un-insulated Pac boots, so I went with the Schnees.

OP
J

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
The Schnees are nice, I would definitely buy them versus the Kenetrek as they are Made in America.
The couple of pair I still use (Schnees) are mostly for moose, caribou, grizzly hunting.
I always use uninsulated boots for anything warmer than 20 degrees. Hoffman doesn't currently have
un-insulated Pac boots, so I went with the Schnees.
Thanks again Bob! i am a huge supporter of products made in the US. i have just heard a few things that the rubber Schnees are using now is not as good as before but hopefully they have changed that.

I have a pair of schnees hunter ii's that have been very disappointing. My Hoffman's can take a pile of abuse and not miss a beat. If you can find a pair of whites pacs NIB I'd reccomend those 1st, but they're tough to come by anymore. Hoffman's in a 14" are a close 2nd. After owning my schnees I will not buy those again

Last edited:
OP
J

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of schnees hunter ii's that have been very disappointing. My Hoffman's can take a pile of abuse and not miss a beat. If you can find a pair of whites pacs NIB I'd reccomend those 1st, but they're tough to come by anymore. Hoffman's in a 13" are a close 2nd. After owning my schnees I will not buy those again
what was the problems you had with the Schees?

I have the Kennetrek Cowboys and they are fantastic. I realize this is a completely different application than what your looking at, but i've done long rides in really cold temps and never got cold feet. Quality wise they have help up beyond my expectations.

what was the problems you had with the Schees?
It's on another thread about Montana elk hunting boots but to summarize the soles have fallen apart with almost zero use. I've kept them stored in coom dark closet when not in use to try and prolong their life but the soles are cracked now with gaping holes in them. Before that happened the leather, no matter how much I treated it, soaked up water like a sponge. Still does. Its extremely comfortable soft leather but is not good for what I needed. They were fine in really cold snow but that 30 degree wet, heavy snow resulted in wet feet. Craftsmanship is top notch. Materials left alot to be desired. Whites or Hoffman's are built as well and with better materials. I've had cheapo 70$ neoprene waders last longer than the rubber on my schnees

No experience with kenetreks

carter33

WKR
Have the shnees extreme. They are great for what I use em for which is mainly snow machining or outdoor work in the winter in temps down to about negative 30. However I wouldn’t want to travel miles in them or pack a heavy pack for a distance. The soles aren’t stiff at all and my feet would sweat in weather over about negative 15 if I was working hard. I purchased the same size as I wear in mountain boots and they fit true to size for me with a thick sock.

OP
J

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
Have the shnees extreme. They are great for what I use em for which is mainly snow machining or outdoor work in the winter in temps down to about negative 30. However I wouldn’t want to travel miles in them or pack a heavy pack for a distance. The soles aren’t stiff at all and my feet would sweat in weather over about negative 15 if I was working hard. I purchased the same size as I wear in mountain boots and they fit true to size for me with a thick sock.
thanks Carter! i will mostly be using the for tree stand hunting. how is the rubber holding up for you? i have heard some stories of the rubber cracking.

OP
J

J.J.Boo

Lil-Rokslider
also if anyone knows dont we have a discount code with Schnees? i think its like rockslide19 or something but i cannot remember.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Kennetrek Bobcat Cowboy sole boots. I wouldn't want to walk far in them, they are a pretty wide boot for my foot. I love them for riding in the cold. I always figured I'd rather have the zipper than laces for that in case a horse goes down on the ice and I get hung up. The zipper would blow out with less force than it would take for the laces to go. I'm not in deep snow most times where I need the tall boot, just a really warm one.

I'll add a +1 on the boot blankets. I use them hunting in KS too and they make a huge difference.

I bought Cabelas Inferno boots this winter to replace the Cabelas 1200gram boots that blew out this deer season They are big bulky suckers but are the warmest thing I've tried. I have not yet had cold feet in them, and my feet have sweat surprisingly little. I wore them and Darn Tough full cushion boot socks on a predator hunt recently in 0-30 degree temps. My I phone said I walked 6.5 miles that day in them and my feet stayed in good shape. I was in and out of a vehicle, walking then sitting, lots of hot and cold. I was impressed. I bought a size up when I got them.