Pac Boots - Which Ones

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had a pair of Schnee's Hunter II pac boots for about 8 years. I do a lot of elk hunting and I tend to grab them when it's cold and snowy. That said, I'll be migrating to a set of Hoffman's. I find that unless it's really cold, the Schnees suck up water into the leather far faster than I would like. It doesn't seem to matter how much boot dressing I put on them. The other reason for the switch is that it seems like the Hoffmans leather is much more robust; my Schnees don't offer much for ankle support.

Hello there. This is definitely a new issue for us to hear about. Curious, what kind of boot dressing/conditioner are you using? Thanks

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ford numerous creeks with mine during a typical fall/winter, as long as I don't go over the top of my boots (Schnees), I'm golden

I use a layer of Seamgrip along all of the stiching and then heat the leather up some and apply Pitch-blend liberally

of course mine are only 30 years old :)

SwampBone

FNG
If you’re stationary get an overboot. There’s really no in between. If your putting on the miles and your feet are getting cold in any of your options you have other problems

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
If you’re stationary get an overboot. There’s really no in between. If your putting on the miles and your feet are getting cold in any of your options you have other problems

I'm not super familiar with overboots but I think there is an in between. I think the problem I've had is that wet snow, where i'm moving then stationary then moving then stationary then riding a horse then moving and so on, gets pretty cold and I don't want to put an overboot on and off on and off. The other issue is that my 400 gram boots aren't quite warm enough and don't stay completely dry. Honestly, I don't think I've had a "waterproof" boot that has ever been completely waterproof.

Mosby

WKR
I hunted with Schnee Elk Hunter II's this year. I got them right before I left for Colorado and took them as a back up, not really intending on hunting until I broke them in. I ended up wearing them for the last 3 days of my hunt in snow, muck etc., They broke in quickly, and were very comfortable. I didn't get any blisters or hot spots and the air bob soles did really well on some steep terrain. They do not provide as much ankle support as my Lowa's but I honestly didn't expect them too. I would recommend them based upon my limited use.

I haven't seen Hoffman's so I can't compare them but Hoffman's have a really good reputation. If they are more robust then Schnee's then they will be a well made boot. I wonder if there is a significant difference in weight between them? Regardless, you probably can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had 10” Kenetreksfor five or six years and they have been great. Many hours and miles in late season coyote and goose hunts. The rubbers started to crack last year and they needed rebuilt. Decided to try Schnees for no good reason so I picked up a pair of 13” hunters. They have also been great but I don’t have a lot of time in them. I do prefer the 10” height.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Sounds like they are all good and I can't go wrong with any one of the three. I'm really leaning toward Hoffman since they are cheaper and maybe liked the best. I'm a size 8-1/4 to 8-1/2 and generally where an 8-1/2 boot but have worn size 8 in Danners and Crispi. Would you all suggest I get an 8 or 9 in Hoffmans? Also, would you go Guide or Outback? I'd probably be using them in steeper terrain (Snake River/Hellscanyon) area of Oregon.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like they are all good and I can't go wrong with any one of the three. I'm really leaning toward Hoffman since they are cheaper and maybe liked the best. I'm a size 8-1/4 to 8-1/2 and generally where an 8-1/2 boot but have worn size 8 in Danners and Crispi. Would you all suggest I get an 8 or 9 in Hoffmans? Also, would you go Guide or Outback? I'd probably be using them in steeper terrain (Snake River/Hellscanyon) area of Oregon.
Do you have a wide foot? I am usually always a 9.5 and their size 9 fit me best. Check out the Hoffman Pac sticky for more info. Are you going to be sitting more or walking more?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure what your temps are there, but if you run cold the felt will be warmer. I really liked how the Mountaineer fit me, the Guide appears to have the same shell.

twodogs

FNG
Hello there. This is definitely a new issue for us to hear about. Curious, what kind of boot dressing/conditioner are you using? Thanks

Interesting. Montana Pitch blend, with seam sealer on the stitches. I was hunting for most of yesterday and noticed the same thing again. It's rare I can use them on back-to-back days, as they need to dry out.

Last edited:
First, my comments shouldn't be interpreted as negative toward Schnee's. Good company with a good product line.

I used to do all my caribou and moose hunting in Schnee's Hunter II boots. Every year my boots eventually soaked up enough water to completely wet them inside and out....the main boot and not the liner. This was true with new boots....sealed seams....Schnee's Boot Dressing....everything I could do to prep them for wet environments. I changed liners every day. It's just a fact that leather which is constantly wet will eventually get saturated and then the moisture moves inside the boot. Once damp, it became very difficult to keep my feet warm and dry all day in 30-40 degree weather. Additionally....

On my boots, the Y-shaped leather strap over the Achilles area collapsed repeatedly. This only happened after my boot leather got wet and stayed wet. The area would wrinkle and rub my Achilles tendon to the point of pain on both sides. To their credit, Schnee's replaced my boots twice for this, but the condition reoccurred. On my last pair, the inner lining of the rubber bottom (a tough white fabric of some sort) came loose. I sent them to Schnee's and was advised it happened because I wore them when the interior of the boot was damp (which was constantly) and that I needed to dry them out between wearings. Again to their credit, Schnee's rebuilt these and sent them back. I sold them immediately.

I have several hunting friends who brought Schnee's Hunter II boots on extended moose hunts and basically had constantly damp boots and cold feet. They (and I) have changed to different boots which are 100% waterproof. My message isn't anti-Schnee's....it's more about how rubber bottom-leather top pac boots can be problematic in extended cold, wet conditions.

I miss them in a way, because they are so nice and comfy when warm and dry. If I was going to go with them again, I would definitely go with pant legs outside the boot, and use tall gaiters to help shed water off them.

Asking if anyone has run the Pro Thinsulate version of Hoffman boots? I’d really like a boot for snow conditions that I can put miles on. I sourced a pair locally to try on. The are very light in comparison to the full felt liner models. I’m a size 12/13. Once that large..the boots of most brands are just extremely clunky and huge. Heavy AF. With the ability to get air bobs, upgrade to some caulks, tall uppers and the lighter weight they seem exactly what I am wanting.

But there are PAGES of threads of guys here complains of boot fit on the most expensive Euro made boots. Hard to think of being comfortable doing 6-8 miles in a day in PACKS. But it would be nice.

I own the Schees cowboy felt packers for when I was on a horse. I have hunted in them and done maybe 6 mile days. Kicked my ass. Soooo heavy.

BigWoods

WKR
Asking if anyone has run the Pro Thinsulate version of Hoffman boots? I’d really like a boot for snow conditions that I can put miles on. I sourced a pair locally to try on. The are very light in comparison to the full felt liner models. I’m a size 12/13. Once that large..the boots of most brands are just extremely clunky and huge. Heavy AF. With the ability to get air bobs, upgrade to some caulks, tall uppers and the lighter weight they seem exactly what I am wanting.

But there are PAGES of threads of guys here complains of boot fit on the most expensive Euro made boots. Hard to think of being comfortable doing 6-8 miles in a day in PACKS. But it would be nice.

I own the Schees cowboy felt packers for when I was on a horse. I have hunted in them and done maybe 6 mile days. Kicked my ass. Soooo heavy.
Yes, I'd be curious to know the weight of the Hoffman's (or other reputable pac brands) in the bigger sizes...myself wearing a size 14. My AlphaBurly Pro's weigh in at 6.5lbs for the pair, which doesn't really bother me; I did a 16 mile day in them recently and didn't hate them at the end of it.

Impressive. Think I bought same last year. 1600. In size 12 they are ENORMOUS. Trying on the Hoffman Thin Pro series I felt slim trim n sexy. Overall...just much more nimble feeling

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
The rubber bottoms on the Hoffman's are better than Schnees. I'm liking my Hoffman Guide pacs. Thicker leather and better price on the Hoffman's as well...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Old thread, BUT I broke out my Schnee's for the first time this season (over my Crispi Thor's)- it was the right call- 2-6" of snow (and snowing lightly all day) and temps between 15-25 F. The air bob soles simply have better grip than typical Vibram soles. Also with walking in the snow and the air temps, I would have frozen out with the Crispi's. Mine are the taller Schnee's, so no gaiters needed.

But the important question is can you walk in them? 11 miles, 3100' gain (much of it steep uphill (and down!)), lots of sidehilling and plenty of blowdown to contend with- yeah you can walk n them :D