Pacific Northwest Vacation

Hey Rokslide,

Our family (me, wife, and kids 12 and 10) are taking a trip to the Pacific Northwest the first week of August coming from Texas. We are flying in to Seattle and will have 9-10 days up there. I'm trying to figure out what all to squeeze in.

So far, we are planning to go to Rainier and St. Helens, possibly the Columbia River gorge, Olympic National Park, and to see the sights in Seattle (for probably only a day). We are are also planning to take a ferry over to Vancouver Island and to spend 3-4 days in Canada. That's where I'm really trying to figure out what we should do. We are considering spending a few days at Pacific Rim National Park, but it has also been suggested that we should take the ferry to Quadra Island for a few days.

I have been to Washington State, but I know very little about BC. We'd like to go somewhere that has a good mix of things to do and sights to see, including some hiking, decent accommodations (I'll save the camping for the Colorado back country), decent food, and wildlife. We might plan a fishing excursion for a day. I'd love to find a spot to see some wildlife.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Any preference between Pacific Rim NP, Quadra Island, or any other area? Or should we hit several areas in 3-4 days?

Thanks for you input,

Andy

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend Tofino with the family. Very $$$$$, but great eats, endless activities, hard pressed to just stay for 4 days. Kids will have a blast there. Surfing, hiking, caves, paddleboard activities. Some of the best beaches. Fishing charters, scuba, etc. Sooke/bamfield is a poor mans tonfino.

Parents have been doing Quadra island with their trailer every year beginning of August for 2 weeks, for the last decade. So there yea go.

Okhotnik

WKR
Rent a car and drive over to east BC

Beautiful area. Should see plenty of deer elk moose and a possible wolf.

Head down to Idaho from there on hwy 95. Stay in Sand Point a day and go to Silverwood park for a day. Know a guy take family out sturgeon fishing for a day .

Drive back West past Spokane to Wenatchee , Leavenworth on hwy 2 . Leavenworth WA neat town . Go see the dam and scab lands and head back to Seattle area on hwy 2. Hwy 2 beautiful drive.

I'm in the planning stages for a similar trip next year...hoping to go check out Stehekin, Mt. Baker, Victoria, Sol Duc, and Shi-Shi Beach....

7Bartman

WKR
Doing the same trip, however about a week or two before you. We're spending the first day in Seattle and then heading up to Victoria. Doing a day in Victoria (Butchart Gardens) and then heading to Sooke the next day for some salmon fishing/whale watching (while we're fishing). Doing some swimming in the Sooke potholes and then headed to Vancouver for 2 nights (Stanley park, Capilano suspension bridges) and up to Whistler for day and then work our way back down to Seattle. I've done almost all these things before, but wanted to experience it with the wife and kids. Feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck!

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread. Taking my wife to Seattle the week of Aug 5th for her 30th birthday. Don't really have any time constraints, going to have to consider going north to BC.

Lots of great suggestions for your trip.

If you wanted to spend more time in BC it is worth the drive up Vancouver island also to see Telegraph Cove outside of Port McNeil. Used to do a lot of fishing up there. You can catch whale tours and there’s also a grizzly bear tour that takes you up the knights inlet during the peak season of late July/August. I’d catch the ferry at Tsawwassen/Nanaimo north of Seattle but there’s a few different routes and terminals to choose from as well. Definitely recommend making a reservation whichever terminal you choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Wherever you go, add more travel time than you expect. Especially on the ferry system.

And if you want an “in-town” thing to do, go to the Museum of Flight. It’s one of the very best in the country.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have heard good things about the "Hand of Man" museum in Vancouver.

Also, make sure to hit Rainier on a weekday, that place is ridiculous on a Saturday. Prepare yourself for Seattle, its a pretty nasty place these days.

I live about 35 minutes from the entrance to Rainier, let me know if you have any other questions on the area.

The PNW in August can't be beat. I would say do everything on your list you can except for Seattle, it's a complete shit hole these days. Coming from Texas, Rainier will be epic for your family.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
St Helens is a cool area to check out as well. Personally, I like the Sunrise side of Rainier, if you only have 1 day for Rainier, I'd look at trails on that side.

jmden

WKR
Having spent decades exploring the areas you are talking about, I'd say you are on the right track.

Do the Paradise side of Mt. Rainier. Sunrise side will be dried up and while beautiful, if you only have one day, I'd go to Paradise, but be ready for the hoards of touristos. The wildflowers might be over their peak about then at Paradise this year but still stunning. The hike from Paradise up to Panorama Point is well worth it--tip...if you wait until dinner time or later to do the hike, there will be way less people and you may enjoy your time more and even get some great photos with evening light.

Just climbed St. Helens a couple of weeks ago. Definitely do the Johnson Observatory thing. Watch for elk between observatory and mountain. Usually quite a few down there. It can be distracting... Consider doing Ape Caves.

As far as the Olympics, I'd go to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park and do a day hike from there if you only have a day or two. Also, try to get to Shi Shi Beach on the coast--nearly always ranked in the top 10 wilderness beaches in the world. About a 3 mile one-way hike that's flat, except down to the beach. Spent many a night there. Will spend another night there later this month on a coastal sea kayaking trip along the coast. Also, make sure and get to Cape Flattery and pray for good weather. The very tip of the Olympic Peninsula--it's a short 1/2 mile (good trail) hike out the Cape. Hard to beat.

Vancouver Island...where to start. Tofino, as already mentioned, would be a good base of operations. Camping at Pac Rim Nat'l Park Green Point Campground is the campground to go to if you can, but it's likely all reserved out months ago. Finding lodging there on short notice may be a bit difficult. I've sea kayaked the entire west coast of Vancouver Island and one of the gems along the coast is Hot Springs Cove, about 25-30 miles north of Tofino. There are whale watching tours that take people up there--watch the many whales along the way and soak in the (not smelly like many hot springs) hot springs in the pool with the temperature of water of your choice for a while as you enjoy a view of the open Pacific off the rugged west coast of Vancouver Island. Rent a surfboard, hike, check out the beaches, etc. at Tofino. Neat little town but becoming more of a tourist trap.

Anyway...some highlights to consider.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Beings you have so many spectacular places on the docket, I would agree with some other posters take on Seattle. It’s pretty gross & I wouldn’t spend more than a day to see it & the famous touristy spots.

I live on the Olympic Peninsula & would recommend a couple days to take in a few of the great places it has to offer. Hurricane ridge,solduc area,hoh rainforest,lapush beach’s/trails,shi shi/cape flattery & lake ozzette.

Personally I would do the peninsula & cross the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria BC & plan your Vancouver island adventure from there. There is fishing opportunity on the OP in Washington but there is probably more opportunities for multiple species fishing the Canadian side. It looks to be a very good salmon year so take advantage. Good luck with your vacation & enjoy all the natural beauty here in the Pacific NW

I like the Hood Canal side of the OP. Lots of rainforest hikes. Plenty of elk to see. And tons of clams and oysters for an awesome camp meal. All the above can be found at Dosewallips State Park . On the west side the Queets campground is a hidden gem. It's like being able to drive up to a back country campsite.

I've gotta agree with what folks are saying about Seattle :(. The druggies target any car parked anywhere near tourist spots. Take an Uber in town or better yet don't spend an hour or a dime in Seattle. Head south straight to Rainier and St Halens and then west to OP.

OP
Josey Wales
Thank you all so much for the input...it has really helped me plan things out.

Andy

Surprised no one has suggested taking the ferries out to San Juan Island or Orcas islands.

I've lived in Washington my whole life, and the beauty of those islands can't be beat.

Just don't stay in Seattle. Bums everywhere, and its gotten a lot dirtier.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
We did something similar last summer.

Flew into Seattle and drove up to Port Townsend/Sequim. Took the ferry across to Victoria the next day and back across the following afternoon and camped at Lake Crescent that night. Did some hiking at Sol Duc for a day and made it to Ruby Beach at sunset. Another night camping at Lake Quinault and some more sight seeing there. Finished it up in Seattle for a night.

It was a busy trip with a lot of moving around, but it was a beautiful place, with so much to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk