Pack Covers

matsprt

FNG
I have a KUIU pack. It looks like I will be getting into some rainy weather here soon. Wondering if 1) pack covers are worth it (do they do the job) and 2) is it worth it to get a brand specific cover ? I notice KUIU adds some features that would be usable (gun slot - but I'm bow hunting).
This is not a big ticket $$$ item but no reason to buy something that is not functional. And saving 50% allows me to buy more food .... 😂

sivart

WKR
i have the zpacks rain cover. It's spendy, but light (dyneema). It fits my Hoodlum and my EXO

OP
matsprt

matsprt

FNG
I'm a big fan of pack liners over pack covers. I made some out of light ripstop silnylon that work really well. I have three in my pack to divide things up a bit.
I admit I don't want to put quite that much energy into something I hope not to need that often. Sounds like you have a well thought out plan.

shwacker

FNG
Lining with a thick big contractor trash bag (not compactor) is the way if you are in serious rain for a long time. Truly the only way to actually keep things dry. But for convenience I usually just do a badlands rain cover that has worked great for me. And some packs absorb more water than others, so the cover becomes more desirable.

Decker9

WKR
A rain cover is a multi use item for me, same as Justin ^^. I prefer keeping my whole pack dry not just the contents.

I run a Kifaru cover, quality has been great, strong and waterproof, but the size large is really like XXXXXXXXL , It swallows my full DT1 with room for my kids pack too. I’d buy it again though.

I use my rain cover (mystery ranch) all the time. Sometimes I sit on it, it holds all the gear I pull out of my pack and I use it in the tent to keep my shit organized.

I just got one of those MR rain fly covers in the mail the other day, I haven’t put it on my pack yet but just from looking at it I was wondering how I’d be able to put it on my pack while still having my rifle strapped to my pack. I usually put the butt of the gun into one of the side pouch deals. You ever tried this with yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got one of those MR rain fly covers in the mail the other day, I haven’t put it on my pack yet but just from looking at it I was wondering how I’d be able to put it on my pack while still having my rifle strapped to my pack. I usually put the butt of the gun into one of the side pouch deals. You ever tried this with yours?

I haven’t tried my pack cover with my rifle on the pack. I rarely have my rifle on my pack, it‘s usually in one hand or the other. I dont think it would work, it gets wrapped up pretty tight around the pack.

I haven’t tried my pack cover with my rifle on the pack. I rarely have my rifle on my pack, it‘s usually in one hand or the other. I dont think it would work, it gets wrapped up pretty tight around the pack.

Copy that. Sounds like the sling it is if it’s raining on the hike in.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You definitely want your important contents- sleeping bag, clothing and the like protected INSIDE the pack regardless if using a pack cover or not- my preference are the lightweight dry bags (Sea to Summit, OR, etc).

A pack cover would further protect your contents and also probably save you some weight- cordura can get pretty heavy when soaked.

The newer fabrics that some of the manufacturers are coming out with negate the need for a pack cover (you still want your important stuff in dry bags!)

Joe Schroeder

ALPS OutdoorZ
Rokslide Sponsor
Copy that. Sounds like the sling it is if it’s raining on the hike in.

I use a rifle cover, usually less than 1/2 a pound, and slide the rifle between pack and frame. Rifle sticks up a bit but you can use your rain cover and keep your hands free.

I picked up the KUIU this year as I need one that was blaze. Have always run the appropriately sized REI cover prior. Both worked fine. The rifle hole is a nice add.

I use a rifle cover, usually less than 1/2 a pound, and slide the rifle between pack and frame. Rifle sticks up a bit but you can use your rain cover and keep your hands free.

Good thinking. I’ve got one of those solo hunter rifle covers somewhere around here.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm a fan of the giant Kifaru pack cover. It snugs down fine when used on my pack, but I often use it for other stuff like others have said. It makes a great wind break layer over my feet and legs when glassing for one thing. It surprised me how much having that dead air space around my feet can help keep them warm. If I'm trying to glass from under a small tarp like the Kifaru Sheep tarp or a poncho, it can keep my legs dry. I've hauled fire wood back to camp in it at times. For what it weighs I seem to always have it along and find uses for it.

For when I know it's going to rain a lot I really like the internal dry bag Exo makes. I have had one for my K2 since they came out, and it's been great on my AK trips. I don't always use it, but it's a great option. Even when I have it, I have the rain cover for all the other uses.

It all depends on the conditions where you’ll be hunting. If hiking trails or mainly semi-open to wide open country they are a great asset to have. Like rain gear, it does a good job but they aren’t completely waterproof. Always should have important stuff you want kept completely dry inside of dry bags.

If you are going to be doing a lot of bushwhacking through thick dense forests like in Alaska and BC, that rain cover will be shredded within minutes and have no value.

So, for me at least, I own and always bring one, but it’s situational when I decide to use it. As others have said, they do have a multifunctional use.

Last edited: