Pack Mules or Pack Goats?

slick

WKR
6e0c487c3fdbbbe9856df5ac711ffc67.jpg

Yeah I agree, can’t say they are the easiest critter on the eyes

hobbes

WKR
Hey now!! Part of my llamas' training involves coercing them into reading rokslide and watching YouTube so they understand how to become pack llamas. Hopefully they don't read those "hurtful" remarks, they'll never pack.
Besides, I've told them that they are good lookers. 😁

vNs7Xp.jpg

DrCJ9L.jpg

hobbes

WKR
If I could I’d have llamas over my goats but the wife’s barrel horses are even dumber around llamas (as if a barrel horse could get dumber)

My neighbor's horses spooked when I brought them home. They ran a couple laps around their pasture, tails high, before setting down (and the neighbors already have alpacas). They don't pay them any attention now except sometimes while I feed hay.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
We have two Alpines and one Alpine/Oberhasli. Five years old.

648c8265eeed18133282d41e119d1ab2.jpg

482b6972008cdaa0e79dbaa501472395.jpg

af304acc7d65e4594c03a92a2ff487e6.jpg

Last edited:

brockel

WKR
Here’s my three boys. They are coming up on a year old so I have a few more years to wait to pack on them. They arent impressed with our eastern Montana winter. Looking to pick up a couple more a little older this year. How much do you pack on yours?9499FDF4-E9F7-4536-89F6-6AB394B2365C.jpeg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Here’s my three boys. They are coming up on a year old so I have a few more years to wait to pack on them. They arent impressed with our eastern Montana winter. Looking to pick up a couple more a little older this year. How much do you pack on yours?View attachment 91324

Two are much bigger than one. I put 40 on them and 30 ish on the other. That's when they are in good shape. The white and black one about is a big goat 200+ he could probably take even more but I don't want to hurt him.

Marc Warnke

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
A reasonable assumption and no doubt true because if their packs were empty, they'd be fine. Still, these are big goats (Alpines) and none got more than 35 lbs and the smaller got about 25 lbs. The two biggest goats with the biggest loads were champs. The smaller ones (but not much smaller) were a little less enthusiastic. Humans picked up the slack. I attribute some of it to little or no training during the off season. When your not aware you have a job to do, the best solution is to just lay down. Also used Saanan goats. They're even bigger but seem less durable. Alpines can have an attitude though. I still like the Alpines. On the trail they'll pack all day though but in the steeps, it's much harder.

It's all about conditioning and trail time with a goat...can't take a human (or a goat for that matter) that is out of shape Put 25% of his body weight on him, and have him kick ass all day. Goats need to be in shape to perform...just like us. Here is an article that will give you an idea of what I do. https://packgoats.com/pack-goat-conditioning-and-weight-bearing-timeline/

Marc Warnke

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Interesting thread. I have thought about getting something and always lean towards goats or llamas. Mostly goats though since I know nothing about llamas. Goats can go places horses and mules can't. Goats you only need to water every 3-5 days. Horses can't get to a lot of places I hunt. Goats can go more places than I can. Goats are less maintenance than horses and mules. You can hunt with camp on your goats back. You can''t do that in a lot of areas with horses or mules. If you can get to your kill so can your goat. Not so with horses and mules. You can't ride a goat but you can a horse or mule.

I think a lot of the pros and cons depend on the type of hunting you do and the terrain you hunt. Right now I'm in good enough shape to pack my hunting stuff on a backpack hunt. If I had a few goats they could easily pack my camp and food. If I got something down they could pack out the meat and I could pack camp and gear. 50lbs would be a lot nicer on the trip out than 120+ lbs.

You would love a few goats. Packgoats.ocm can be a really nice resource for you to find out more.

Marc Warnke

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd take that bet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You'd loose, Goat can go where the best mules or horses just can't. I have run both goats and mules and it's not even close. They can fit through smaller places, go under things, and log walk as well as pick up steep rock pitches that a mule just can't. Nothing against mules...they just don't have the same set of tools.

Never packed mules, llama or horses. I got pack goat to get my kids back further. I like thevgoats ability to operate with out having to be on a lead hardly at all. They find there own way over hazards and if I have a wreck with them my kids aren't in any danger of getting ran over. If your new to goats and you see horses comming give them alot of space. Horse seem really spooky around goats. I think about it like the lug nut rule. Horse have the right of way. A draw back of goats in there packing range is very much dictated by topography and load weight.

Elk are also totally confused by them when they see them. Its really funnybto watch.

I chose goats because of their agility and ease of handling. They are a much smaller investment also. I can haul them in my pickup. Mine aren’t old enough to pack yet. Going on 2 years old. They are fun animals to interact with.

Attachments

• 12697EE0-ED78-49A7-970A-291D355A46C3.jpeg
    12697EE0-ED78-49A7-970A-291D355A46C3.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 16
  • B430169C-7E9C-4E0A-B25E-5D5E0BA8D010.jpeg
    B430169C-7E9C-4E0A-B25E-5D5E0BA8D010.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 15

bisblue

WKR
Goats seem super fun and follow like a dog. They have been documented transferring movi to bighorn sheep. It was only recorded in one instance during a captive research project, and what the impact and likelihood would be in a larger herd is unknown without more research.
I chose llamas because I wanted something that didn't need much water I could leave in camp, and didn't require a ton of time in terms of training. Goats need a lot more love and affection and with human kids I just didn't have that time.
also goats are like llamas and that they need to be 4 years old to pack full weight, but they're packing life is done by about 10 years old. so if you think about how many goats you need to pack weight and how many goats you need to have to be in training to replace the ones that are going to age out you need to own a lot of goats. Llamas will generally pack from 4 years old to 16 or 20 years old.
The wild sheep foundation also pushes for bans on llamas. however the research they use basically says there is nothing to show that llamas can't give diseases to sheep, but there isn't any evidence to support that they can and several state game and fish agencies have written letters stating that there's no valid scientific evidence supporting llamas transmitting diseases to sheep.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Goats seem super fun and follow like a dog. They have been documented transferring movi to bighorn sheep. It was only recorded in one instance during a captive research project, and what the impact and likelihood would be in a larger herd is unknown without more research.
I chose llamas because I wanted something that didn't need much water I could leave in camp, and didn't require a ton of time in terms of training. Goats need a lot more love and affection and with human kids I just didn't have that time.
also goats are like llamas and that they need to be 4 years old to pack full weight, but they're packing life is done by about 10 years old. so if you think about how many goats you need to pack weight and how many goats you need to have to be in training to replace the ones that are going to age out you need to own a lot of goats. Llamas will generally pack from 4 years old to 16 or 20 years old.
The wild sheep foundation also pushes for bans on llamas. however the research they use basically says there is nothing to show that llamas can't give diseases to sheep, but there isn't any evidence to support that they can and several state game and fish agencies have written letters stating that there's no valid scientific evidence supporting llamas transmitting diseases to sheep.

I have a friend who is still packing two goats that are 14 years old. We are finding our if you keep there teeth healthy they might pack longer than people think. Pack goats are still relatively new, we are find out lots of old school thoughts are might not be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk