Pack Recommendations **TOO MANY OPTIONS**

HaaseAZ

FNG
Hello All. I'm in the market for a new "Do It All" pack system and it seems the more research I do the less decisive I become. Hoping to get some outside opinions based on my needs and a fresh point of view.
I live in Arizona so I don't do a whole lot of deep woods wilderness hunts. I will on occasion when going out of state for a special hunt but for the most part it's just a day hike with preparation of an overnight in the event of a long stalk or an animal on the ground.
Must have a frame/pack system with the removable pack for the load hauler only option. I'm tired of taking both my daypack and frame pack in the rig everywhere I go.
I'm looking for something with more organization and easy access pockets rather than the large capacity storage. Most of the overnights aren't planned so like everyone else I like to keep the basics in my pack at all times. Knife, lights, batteries, tape, rope, etc all have a spot in the pack so it's an easy inventory check before each outing.
A lot of ground is covered in the side x side so I'm also looking for something with a removable go pack so when I need to bail out and dive in after something I don't have to take the whole pack. Just a smaller bag with a waist belt so I always have my knife, license, extra ammo, and headlamp.
Lastly, looking for that $500 and less option. As much as I wish I did, I don't hunt hardcore enough to justify those high dollar packs.

For the longest time I was sold on the Alps Outdoorz Commander X with pack.
http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/extreme/commander-x-pack
Hip belts, removable lid and front sack, removable bag, built in bow/rifle sling, built in load hauler flaps, rain fly, and very affordable. The only thing that has me hesitating is it weighs over 9lbs!

My runner up is the Mystery Ranch Metcalf.
https://www.mysteryranch.com/metcalf-pack
I like the removable lid, ability to load up for a multi-day trip, and the side zip accessibility into the main compartment. A good weight at just over 6 pounds but then requires purchase of add-ons like hip pouches, rain fly, load hauler and puts the total purchase over $600.

I like the Kuiu and Stone Galcier lightweight systems but those look to me like more large compartment storage and not individual compartment organization. Then of course I dive into the extreme's like Blacks Creek, Seek Outdoors, Kifaru, and more.
What's your go-to every day do it all pack? Thanks for reading.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
If I could only have one it would be a SG SKY 5900. If I day hunted A LOT more than overnighted I'd get the 3300 and a dry cell bag. to put in between the frame and pack.....Check the classifieds. I think there's some used packs for sale currently.

I do really like the MR bags too....they just weigh more and if you're doing high altitude backpack hunting it all adds up.

OP
H

HaaseAZ

FNG
If I could only have one it would be a SG SKY 5900. If I day hunted A LOT more than overnighted I'd get the 3300 and a dry cell bag. to put in between the frame and pack.....Check the classifieds. I think there's some used packs for sale currently.

I do really like the MR bags too....they just weigh more and if you're doing high altitude backpack hunting it all adds up.

That’s another good point I didn’t mention. I’ll go from 3000’ hunting desert mule deer to over 9,000’ chasing elk in the white mountains so weight is definitely a priority.
Thanks for your post.

look at the alps big bear. can use as a big fanny pack, or pull out the shoulder harness and day pack bag, clip together, and go.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard a lot of guys say it on here and I think there's a lot of truth to it. You can compromise on certain pieces of gear. Gear that you don't want to compromise on are boots, packs, and glass. You don't have to get "the best" but if you skimp you'll probably regret it later. I've been buying my glass used. Save a lot of money that way. I think a used pack is a very safe bet especially if you can verify the condition etc. Lots of guys buy packs for a one time hunt/season and then never use it again.

Take a look at the MR Sawtooth 45.
If you're not planning on multi-day backcountry hunts, then the sawtooth is a great size for day hunts that may turn into an overnight. It's small enough to not be bulky, but can carry every thing.

I don't see the benefit of a fanny pack in addition to a mid sized hunting pack with frame. The sawtooth would be very easy to grab out of a sxs and hit the woods/desert. If you were successful you'd have to comeback to get your frame pack anyways.

The sawtooth 45 also internal storage. I'm not a fan of hip pouches, they always seem to be in my way. (Personal preference).

I've bought/returned/resold alot of packs recently in my personal search. I settled on the Beartooth 80 but I think that would be overkill in your situation.

edit: There's actually a great review on MR's website for the Sawtooth with pics that describes 90% of what you're looking for. Good Luck

Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
Take a look at the MR Sawtooth 45.
If you're not planning on multi-day backcountry hunts, then the sawtooth is a great size for day hunts that may turn into an overnight. It's small enough to not be bulky, but can carry every thing.

Agree with this. I did the Selway and am very happy. If it every burns, is stolen by aliens, etc, I'll go with the Sawtooth. You're right, there are a ton of great options, the Alps would work fine. I went with MR because they're local and I know that the load hauling capabilities are (IMHO) unmatched.

OP
H

HaaseAZ

FNG
I've heard a lot of guys say it on here and I think there's a lot of truth to it. You can compromise on certain pieces of gear. Gear that you don't want to compromise on are boots, packs, and glass. You don't have to get "the best" but if you skimp you'll probably regret it later. I've been buying my glass used. Save a lot of money that way. I think a used pack is a very safe bet especially if you can verify the condition etc. Lots of guys buy packs for a one time hunt/season and then never use it again.
Agreed. Kenetreks, Swarovski, and still working on the pack. Good advice, I definitely wouldn't have a problem picking up a used pack.

OP
H

HaaseAZ

FNG
Agree with this. I did the Selway and am very happy. If it every burns, is stolen by aliens, etc, I'll go with the Sawtooth. You're right, there are a ton of great options, the Alps would work fine. I went with MR because they're local and I know that the load hauling capabilities are (IMHO) unmatched.
I haven't had the chance to see/handle any MR packs in person yet. Do you know if the bag can be completely removed from the frame? From the videos I've seen it looks like the Overload feature is built into the backside of the pack rather than the frame so you would always need the bag installed to sandwich the load onto the frame. Am I seeing that right?

I haven't had the chance to see/handle any MR packs in person yet. Do you know if the bag can be completely removed from the frame? From the videos I've seen it looks like the Overload feature is built into the backside of the pack rather than the frame so you would always need the bag installed to sandwich the load onto the frame. Am I seeing that right?

That is correct. The overload "shelf" is built into the bag itself. But the bag can be completely removed and they are planning on selling more bags individually (or so I've heard). Then if you do plan a bigger trip you could just upgrade the bag and run the same frame. @pods8 makes some sweet looking load slings that would work nicely.

I will second the Stone Glacier Sky 5900 and Solo 3300. It’s what I run. Covers pretty much everything.
Don’t be afraid to ask if anyone local has one you can try on. Roksliders are a friendly lot and most people are more than happy to show off their pack.
Also don’t be afraid to purchase used. The top tier packs hold their value. Buy used and if you don’t like it sell it here. Good packs sell quickly.

JWP58

WKR
I hunted with an alps commander x pack for 3yrs, and now own a mystery ranch beartooth 80.

Both are good packs that will work. If you get a deal on the alps, buy it. Don't pay msrp for it.

hikenhunt

WKR
I bought a used Kuiu and love it. I put 92 pounds in it and couldn't believe how "good" it felt. I have an 1850 and 5500 bags but they updated their pack sizes. It looks like the Pro 6000 and 7800 or Ultra 7000 have the large side pockets, multiple back pockets, bottle holders and the lid. The main "large" compartment has several mesh pockets and strap down ability inside. Using your terms in the original post, it does not feel like a "large compartment storage" bag.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I’m gonna say don’t buy the alps unless you’re pressed for cash. I have one and have had it for 3 years, it has no load lifters so your shoulders will be sore with big loads. And my back always seemed to hurt after a hunt and i could never figure out why. I broke down and bought a Kifaru this year and my back hasn’t hurt once. Haven’t tried a stone glacier but Remi Warren swears by them. The classifieds are a great place to get a deal on gear. And you could always sell it to someone else, after this season if it doesn’t work out.

OP
H

HaaseAZ

FNG
I’m gonna say don’t buy the alps unless you’re pressed for cash. I have one and have had it for 3 years, it has no load lifters so your shoulders will be sore with big loads. And my back always seemed to hurt after a hunt and i could never figure out why. I broke down and bought a Kifaru this year and my back hasn’t hurt once. Haven’t tried a stone glacier but Remi Warren swears by them. The classifieds are a great place to get a deal on gear. And you could always sell it to someone else, after this season if it doesn’t work out.
Thank you for that. Load lifters are a big deal and I had missed that previously.

OP
H

HaaseAZ

FNG
So I took your guys’ advice and started browsing thru the classified here. Bow Puller is selling an Exo k2 3500 that I’d like to buy. Problem is I’m still a newbie so I can’t get an offer to him yet. Any help would be appreciated!

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
So I took your guys’ advice and started browsing thru the classified here. Bow Puller is selling an Exo k2 3500 that I’d like to buy. Problem is I’m still a newbie so I can’t get an offer to him yet. Any help would be appreciated!
Just start replying to certain threads. Only need 10 posts.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Just shoot him a PM