Packable puffy pants for Whitetails

stump06

WKR
I have used the Outdoor Research puffy pants for a few years and love them. They are similar to these but I think they were their predecessor. I gave about $100 bucks for them on sale and they are worth that.
Some good, cheap pants that are very similar are the military surplus ECWS pants. I picked a set up at a goodwill for about $10 that still had the tag. ECWS Pants

GR1NCH11

FNG
Im in a similar situation (1-2 mile hike in with a lock on stand on my back) I decided to run the SG Grumman pants and was happy with them. They aren't silent. A question to ask yourself: how much movement will you have with your legs when deer are within earshot?
I accepted the noise potential to save room and weight in my pack.

I have used an older pair of Sitka kelvin light pants And a set of $25 army ECWCS pants before that. They work fine but they are too fragile to move in and pretty loud For bow range. I picked up an FL solitude bib set and haven’t had much use for them since. I sizedthe bibs so I can put them on over my pants. Depending on where I hunt, I walk in without them and put them on when stationary.

also, depending on where and how you hunt, a light sleeping bag or blanket is a great way to stay warm. Stick your legs in the bag or wrap them with a blanket (Kifaru woobie) and your legs and feet can be very toasty. Just don’t do what I did last year and lay down at the base of a tree and fall asleep only to wake up to a half dozen does grazing acorns around you while your bow is leaned up against the tree.

EdP

WKR
I have an old pair of Sitka Kelvin pants I pack in during very cold hunts. Here in VA those are almost always rifle or late MZ. I use them in my saddle and they aren’t overly loud.
The older, and discontinued, Sitka Kelvin pants were Primaloft insulation so it makes sense they would be pretty quiet. You are lucky to have them. It looks like all the new Kelvin pants are down.

Thanks for the reply. Believe it or not, I get by with just heavy merino base layers and Stratus pants all year, even in teens and single digits. But I've noticed in the last two years, my legs are getting cold more easily. I was just thinking a touch of insulation on my legs would be huge. getting old sucks... lol

Put them under your stratus bibs and noise not an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuscaoka

WKR
Can’t believe no one’s mentioned a Kifaru woobie or hpg serape. Not pants but drape it over shoulders it covers down below boots. Blocks the wind and is very effective. When action heats up I just hand it over stand

If you’re going for the most packability stay away from outer layer insulation sets (like FL solitude, Sitka finatic and stratus). They take up a LOT of pack space. Walk in with a slightly oversized shell pant and drop em at the tree and put kuiu Kenai pants under, zip the sides up, then pulll your shells back over.

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve used kuiu kenai for your exact application with good results. Not crazy warm inferno level, but super quiet and takes the edge off sitting in a stand and not sweating to death on way in.

For the mobile tree stand hunter on public land, I think a western clothing system works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddub

FNG
I will give these a look. I know most have mentioned to wear them under whatever pants I wear, but that really isn't the best option for me. That would entail me taking off my pants after hiking in, which would be a PITA. I will absolutely look at the Kuiu's for sure. Thank you.
Does anyone know of a good zip off pant that isn't too loud?

So i can tell you what I've done in the past, and what I'm going to do in the future. Im always wearing kuiu 200 merino wool bottoms with a lightweight pant, and a merino wool shirt lightweight in. No matter how cold it may be. I pack in my pack 250 gram wool full zips furnace from FL, and the furnace long sleeve. Then i also packed my scent lok suit that has a polyeurothene membrane in there. I'd sell it for 100 bucks. But it kept the wind off of me and warm. If it was below 30 degrees i would carry a bunch of body warmers with me or a heated vest...

Now im going to kuiu and am looking into the kanai (or whatever its called) plus the kuiu proximity. I think those two systems together would probably be killer together for those sub 30 days.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Under armour alpine ops. Packs up small and they are quiet enough to now hunt in

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I do just exactly what you are saying with Kuiu down pro or whatever they are called now and they are super warm. They work great for me in that application.

Lowg08

WKR
So i can tell you what I've done in the past, and what I'm going to do in the future. Im always wearing kuiu 200 merino wool bottoms with a lightweight pant, and a merino wool shirt lightweight in. No matter how cold it may be. I pack in my pack 250 gram wool full zips furnace from FL, and the furnace long sleeve. Then i also packed my scent lok suit that has a polyeurothene membrane in there. I'd sell it for 100 bucks. But it kept the wind off of me and warm. If it was below 30 degrees i would carry a bunch of body warmers with me or a heated vest...

Now im going to kuiu and am looking into the kanai (or whatever its called) plus the kuiu proximity. I think those two systems together would probably be killer together for those sub 30 days.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I have the kenai and proximity. They are nice and do the job but the proximity takes up way too much room. I’m going to sell my proximity and go with my under armour down in its place.

Macintosh

WKR
This has come up a couple times the last few years. I havent found one yet. When one of you that has a pair of “whitetail bibs” made for bowhunting finds a good packable pant for 0-10F that is quiet but packs much smaller, please post up a comparison video or something. So far everything ive found either has next to no insulation, is very loud (as in, I can hear my hunting buddy move “quietly” from 30+ yards away), or it packs into a ball more akin to a large watermelon than the grapefruit Im looking for.