Packing out meat idea

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody shuttle meat out. For example. Say I shoot an elk 2 miles in. Rather than pack out the load the whole 2 miles. Then go back for the next load. Then the next, etc. Why not make each trip only one mile (halfway) out and one mile back. Once I get all the meat one mile closer. Then I work on packing it out the second mile.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I was just thinking that I might be able to decrease the amount of trips (total miles). It would be easier to carry a heavier pack one mile than 2 miles.

muddydogs

WKR
You walk the same distance and create more loading and unloading. Only time I would break up the pack is if I had a really bad section. Get all the meat through the bad section while still going strong then just dead head the rest of the way out.

ndbuck09

WKR
ya loading and unloading plus the temptation to sit down and take prolonged rests end up making everything take longer when shuttling. The only time we like to shuttle like that is in the event of getting meat to the top of a ridge so the rest of the trips will be downhill with weight.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
All the extra unloading and loading makes it a pain.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I do like the idea of getting the meat thru a bad section while still strong.

Jethro

WKR
A one stop shuttle isn’t bad, but no more than that. A rough section or get it all to the trail before taking it to the trail head. Don’t want to do anymore loading/unloading than that. Once I stand up with a load of meat, prefer to get where I’m going. Don’t even like to sit down.

Hoot

WKR
I never have had to, but there’s a hole I have in mind to shoot a bull in one day, if I’m lucky I’ll shuttle all the meat to the top, just in time for my buddies to help me one trip it to the truck!

It would probably work best if you want to get it out of a hole to a ridge one day and hang it, and then come back the next day knowing at least you don't have to go back down to the bottom again

Bighorner

WKR
The one place shuttling shines is if you have a hunting partner coming to help. Getting the meat to a trail and then having a partner work from the trail to truck can really speed things along.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
In September I’ll shuttle to a cool spot in the shade by a creek and hang it there and go back for another load.

Elk97

WKR
Makes sense in heavy griz country. We usually move what we can't take on the first load at least a couple of hundred yards from the carcass but even getting that close on the second load can be a little sketchy. Taking the first load half a mile or more might be worth the extra hassle.

tttoadman

WKR
As noted, get away from the carcass. In ID 2013, I shuttled about 1/4 mile to the top of the ridge. By the time i got the last load out of there, the wolves were right below me.

The other real reason is to get to the cool spot. Once you learn an area, you will know those great little spots that are shaded and cool all day.

I have to take a lot of breaks anytime I get about 80lbs. Shuttling doesn't really slow me down that much.