Packs similar to the Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 28

McCoppin

FNG
What bags are there similar to a Pop Up 28 with meat hauling capabilities and for short 1-3 day hunt? Also same price range of sub 350

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

slatty

WKR
The pop up 28 seems like a pretty unique system to me, I don't know of something comparable although i'm sure others on here do.
I think you could just get a nice frame and pop a small bag on it and it would be pretty similar (eg kifaru frame with your bag of choice attached via molle to the lumbar area).

fatlander

WKR
You can get dedicated haulers from MR for that price when they’re on sale. Black Ovis had the Selway on sale for 360 the other day. Get a dedicated hauler. The pop up does nothing better than a true hauler in my honest opinion.

I loved the idea of pop up but the execution just wasn’t there. The belt sucked. The shoulder suspension and yoke was too beefy to be a true day pack. The frame didn’t do well under load when standing any other way but perfectly straight up. You can’t really do over nighters unless you’re not planning to bring camp and a load of meat out together. I’d much rather have a frame and bag capable of carrying more than I can handle than making an extra 6+ mile trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selway, sawtooth or a pintler on sale. $350 is a good price. Mule, crewcab, etc are also cheap. Seek outside and a few other names make some cheaper packs too.

Another route is to get a frame with a load shelf. Clip / rig a day pack to it and you have the same function for a lot less $$.

I have and use a pop up as a day pack that can haul in a pinch. It will do 50-60# but it isn’t pleasant. It just doesn’t have the rigidity of the frame Or the belt and shoulder straps of a full size hauler. Unless I was going ultra light I wouldn’t use it for overnights. 28 liters fills up quick. I even go with a sawtooth for day hunting later in the season When I am hauling layers day hunting.

Rumor has it MR has a 40 liter bag for the pop up but it still wouldn’t solve the frame issue.

OP
McCoppin

McCoppin

FNG
What are your thoughts on the Seekoutside Revolution

CBreeze

FNG
I use the crap out of a popup 28. It’s got quirks. But absolutely has a useful life of its own beyond what my guidelight and pintler or NICE and Longbow offer. Ive packed plenty of critters with it. But it doesn’t have 3 day capabilities and anyone selling it that way hasn’t done it and filled a tag at the same time. It’s killer as a daypack and I’ve slept over with it a couple times but it isn’t for sleepovers really.
9d361f284bddd2abd15152b4f86a990b.jpg

Last edited:

Mcmahonff

FNG
I have a pintler for sale in the classified if you are interested in a true hauling frame and pack under your price range.

tdhanses

WKR
If your a medium, Brownells has the Metcalf for $330 plus another 11% off with code haa. I’d take this over the pop up any day.

OP
McCoppin

McCoppin

FNG
What are yalls thoughts on the horn Hunter full curl or Alps traverse X or Hybrid?

wyosam

WKR
What are yalls thoughts on the horn Hunter full curl or Alps traverse X or Hybrid?

Really heavy. Lots of good used options on the classifieds right now. Ive got a MR mule on medium frame for sale if that fits your needs.