Pad repair

Scoot

WKR
I know some people repair a leaking sleeping pad by just putting on a piece of Tenacious Tape. Is that an acceptable permanent fix or just a good in the field fix? I've got some Tenacious Tape and can use it to repair my pad... should I do that or purchase a patch kit?

Read1t48

WKR
The tape works well and is easy, especially in the field. If the tape starts to lift up on the edges, you can remove and do a more permanent fix with Aqua Seal when you get home. It's a great product but takes a long time to dry (unless you use the UV kind that dries quickly in the sun), which is why the Tenacious Tape is good for field repairs -- not to mention the tape can be used for a variety of other things which makes it a good pack item.
In the fishing section of the stores you can find a product made by Loon that is essentially Aqua Seal with the UV component for a fast repair. Fisherman use it to do on site wader leak repairs, or put it on their knots to enhance strength. It's small and easy to put in your pack. I would choose the tape over the two unless you were doing backcountry fishing.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks for the reply. What about at home? What's the best way to repair there?

Tenacious tape is great in the field. For pads I redo the patch when I get home using an rei patch kit. Good video from rei below on patching a pad