Painless load development (mine)

Rooggvc

WKR
Form

Could you explain your truing a little more? Are you putting the elevation it takes you to hit 1050 into a ballistics app? I have Strelok and I have messed around a little with the truing feature.

Bbell12

WKR
So I skimmed through this whole thread and didn’t see that it was mentioned previously but what is the reasoning behind not chamfering and deburring cases? I’m very new to reloading but everything I’ve read indicates that this is an important step in the reloading process.

Bbell12

WKR
And how do you guys go about applying Hornady One Shot? Keep the cases in load blocks I’m guessing?

So I skimmed through this whole thread and didn’t see that it was mentioned previously but what is the reasoning behind not chamfering and deburring cases? I’m very new to reloading but everything I’ve read indicates that this is an important step in the reloading process.
Form doesn't trim his cases, so no need to chamfer or deburr. That's a significant deviation from most accepted reloading procedures and may not be safe with every rifle and cartridge. Proceed with caution.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form

Could you explain your truing a little more? Are you putting the elevation it takes you to hit 1050 into a ballistics app? I have Strelok and I have messed around a little with the truing feature.

Guess it chrono velocity, input into ballistics app, find range that’s close to, but not under, 1,340fps impact. I generally go about where 1,400fps is. Then shoot at a target, ignore horizontal issues, just find center of cone at that distance, measure with reticle how far from center and change MV in program u til drops match.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Everything is important and makes a huge difference based on what people say. The reality is a good barrel and straight ammo matters more than anything else.

Chamfering and deburring hasn’t shown to do much. In any case, after the first firing it generally solves itself.

For Hornady One shot I just lay out 8-10 cases flat, spray them, roll them, spray again, then size.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form doesn't trim his cases, so no need to chamfer or deburr. That's a significant deviation from most accepted reloading procedures and may not be safe with every rifle and cartridge. Proceed with caution.

Correct.

Though I do trim some cartridges, but I generally try not to shoot rounds that grow and are finicky.

Rooggvc

WKR
Mind definitely blown with this thread. I have bought chronographs, tumblers, case length gauges, etc. etc.. because I needed all of it for accurate loads. I have shot hundreds of rounds waiting for my barrel to speed up before load development. I have done ladders, and Saterlee's tests, charted velocity and SD in Excel.

Come to find out that is not needed. Definitely a big eye opener. This will allow me a lot more trigger time and less reloading time.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Mind definitely blown with this thread. I have bought chronographs, tumblers, case length gauges, etc. etc.. because I needed all of it for accurate loads. I have shot hundreds of rounds waiting for my barrel to speed up before load development. I have done ladders, and Saterlee's tests, charted velocity and SD in Excel.

Come to find out that is not needed. Definitely a big eye opener. This will allow me a lot more trigger time and less reloading time.

Try it before saying it works. I’m still waiting for the rifle/cartridge that it doesn’t work with, but still…. Everyone should do it for themselves.

Axle

FNG
Well.......this seems a lot easier then what I have been doing. I think I will give it a shot.

Rooggvc

WKR
With Deer, Black Bear, and Elk in Mind out to 600 yards what size of 10 shot group would be your maximum allowable? I noticed you mentioned something about 2" earlier in the thread. I would like an idea of what I should be looking for out of a 10 shot group.

Last edited:

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
Dirty brass straight out of the rifle, neck size using lee collet die, no lube, prime, powder dump seat bullet, shoot, repeat.
Better than inch easy
That brass not get hard to chamber after a few reloads?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
With Deer, Black Bear, and Elk in Mind out to 600 yards what size of 10 shot group would be your maximum allowable? I noticed you mentioned something about 2" earlier in the thread. I would like an idea of what I should be looking for out of a 10 shot group.

1.5’ish.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
For those that asked about cleaning brass…

6AD3A7F2-4910-41F0-9259-02BC87260B80.jpeg

Loading for the XC today, this is what the brass looks like after sizing as I’m dumping powder. Bet they’ll shoot fine.

As an aside, it’s right at 400 rounds on this barrel with these with no cleaning or maintenance. Again, bet it still shoots.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
New tikka/bartlein build from Short Action Customs.

These are rounds 4-13. Heavy mirage.
147 ELD, 2.800” COAL.
2 rounds each with 40.9, 41.2, 41.5, 41.8, and 42.1gr of RL16. 41.5gr is hornady book max.

Like my other good loads/rifles, the powder charge doesn’t seem to matter that much.
2F967E0E-DBFB-4B93-83D2-BBEB96CDC982.jpeg