Painting a stock

CapnKM

FNG
Some fine looking paint jobs on here. Really digging the sponge paint jobs and looking at doing one on my new carbon stock while leaving a good bit of the carbon exposed so I can still nerd out on it. Should prob try it out on my plastic stock 10/22 first though.

f2e64d17bab99b946aa9db69ce378976.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZsniper

WKR
Just painted my coyote gun. Saw a video of a guy using a mesh laundry bag to create some texture. This is the first gun I have pained but I like the way it came out and it was super easy/fast.

Attachments

• IMG_4492.jpeg
    IMG_4492.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4494.jpeg
    IMG_4494.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4495.jpeg
    IMG_4495.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 39

Tuck_

FNG
I just bought a can of Krylon marbalizing that should be here tomorrow to copy that same style. https://www.ebay.com/itm/362913817585

I also got a can of matte tan to use as a base
I used this on one of my guns. While it faithfully recreates the pattern in OP's pic, it has a slight sheen to it which persists even under several coats of Krylon Matte Finish. Because of the slight 3d nature of the paint, which has to have some thickness in order to string together, this slight glossy finish can easily get caught in the light once dried. I painted over it for this reason with a sponge pattern, which turned out great. One thing for that is that remember that the less paint is on your sponge the less saturation will be transferred, so you can blend as much as you want.

Dezurtrat

FNG
I wanted to introduce my 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter to shooting, so I purchased a Savage Rascal target. They loved it, so of course, had to buy another so they had their “own”. Black was boring so I had to spice them up a bit.

View attachment 689018View attachment 689019
Those look amazing! What sponge are you using for that pattern? I've researched sea sponges but there are so many to chose from.

Here is a Duracoat job I did on my shotgun last year. Wanted an old school duck hunter camo, but there aren't many factory options in this pattern. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I used a set of vinyl stencils that I ordered on line for the pattern.

I used a really cheap airbrush off amazon. A little more pricey than krylon, but holds up quite a bit better as well. I am very impressed with the durability of the duracoat, not quite as durable as the ceracote I have on a couple of rifles, but for a product that doesn't need an oven to cure, it is very tough. The dirty greasy shop trash can I used to clean out my airbrush has some drips of duracoat along the sides, I've used these drips to try and scrape, scratch etc., they don't budge. Duracoat bonds extremely well to plastic. Excellent choice for painting stocks if you are looking for something that hold ups better than krylon.

SX4_Duracoat.jpeg

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Its spray paint. Douche it down with brake clean, scrape the paint off an give it another go.
I painted this Tikka stock using stencils and hated the results. I just sanded it down, re-primed and used different stencils. The old pattern’s stencil indentations telegraphed through a little, but it actually created some subtle texture. Much happier with the final result. For clear coat this is the second stock I’ve used Spray Max 2k and it is insanely durable and seems impervious to cleaning chemicals. Nasty to work with but I think the results were worth it. IMG_9314.jpegIMG_9313.jpegIMG_9312.jpeg