New McMillan Hard Edge Camo

SloppyJ

WKR
Has anyone but me seen these new painted offerings? I was in need of a left handed long action stock and ordered a carbon fiber game warden LR. I was discussing this with MOA Rifles and I wasn't wanting to wait the 8mo they're quoting on the molded in colors and they said paint is much faster. Problem was I don't care for the transition style paint jobs. He got my cell number and sent me pictures of the prototypes they were doing of this new camo. I really liked them. Told me it would be released soon and that we can order my stock unpainted and by the time it was completed, they should release the new paint colors.

Well I checked their website while I was hunting on Saturday and they still weren't listed. I got a call from them today saying that my stock had shown up at their place and the new colors were released. They're shipping my stock back to get the HEC1-Sage color painted on and then it will be sent to me. Super stoked on having one of the first runs of this and getting my stock completed so quickly. I ordered around the middle of October. I might actually get to hunt with my new rifle this season.

Just wanted to share with y'all. The new colors are at the bottom of the page.

Ed Hunt

FNG
Has anyone but me seen these new painted offerings? I was in need of a left handed long action stock and ordered a carbon fiber game warden LR. I was discussing this with MOA Rifles and I wasn't wanting to wait the 8mo they're quoting on the molded in colors and they said paint is much faster. Problem was I don't care for the transition style paint jobs. He got my cell number and sent me pictures of the prototypes they were doing of this new camo. I really liked them. Told me it would be released soon and that we can order my stock unpainted and by the time it was completed, they should release the new paint colors.

Well I checked their website while I was hunting on Saturday and they still weren't listed. I got a call from them today saying that my stock had shown up at their place and the new colors were released. They're shipping my stock back to get the HEC1-Sage color painted on and then it will be sent to me. Super stoked on having one of the first runs of this and getting my stock completed so quickly. I ordered around the middle of October. I might actually get to hunt with my new rifle this season.

Just wanted to share with y'all. The new colors are at the bottom of the page.

Do you have any photos of your stock? I just ordered the same one

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Do you have any photos of your stock? I just ordered the same one
im anxiously awaiting mine. They said around the first of the year but so far, they've outpaced their projections. I'm really hoping I pull up one day and it's sitting on my porch before Christmas. I'd like to take a deer with it on the Christmas hunt this year.

When it makes it in, I'll throw up a pic.

Ed Hunt

FNG
im anxiously awaiting mine. They said around the first of the year but so far, they've outpaced their projections. I'm really hoping I pull up one day and it's sitting on my porch before Christmas. I'd like to take a deer with it on the Christmas hunt this year.

When it makes it in, I'll throw up a pic.
Ah, right on! I hope that’s the way it plays out for you, Merry Christmas!

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
@Ed Hunt - I finally got her in today. Fit and finish seems to be top notch. The stock isn't smooth which I like because it grips extremely well. The paint is perfect and matches exactly how I thought it would. This is painted carbon fiber with a 20" proof chambered in 300prc and a Zermatt Origin. UM bottom metal and a ton of other goodies. As shown with an AB Raptor 10 w/ 3" reflex.

1000003745.jpg

1000003742.jpg

Looks really good. What is your first impression of the finger stop? Is there enough room to comfortably fit 3 fingers below it?

I am considering that stock for my rifle, but have never held one (or any stock with the finger stop).

Ed Hunt

FNG
@Ed Hunt - I finally got her in today. Fit and finish seems to be top notch. The stock isn't smooth which I like because it grips extremely well. The paint is perfect and matches exactly how I thought it would. This is painted carbon fiber with a 20" proof chambered in 300prc and a Zermatt Origin. UM bottom metal and a ton of other goodies. As shown with an AB Raptor 10 w/ 3" reflex.

View attachment 656752

View attachment 656753
That is great, man! Looks like you’ve put together a real nice rifle, thanks for sharing.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Looks really good. What is your first impression of the finger stop? Is there enough room to comfortably fit 3 fingers below it?

I am considering that stock for my rifle, but have never held one (or any stock with the finger stop).

First impression was "woah, what's this? " It's pretty intuitive though. However, I don't think my middle finger will be under it. The most natural position seems to be with the top to to the middle of my middle finger placed on the front edge of that stop. If you didn't know, they make one without the finger stop. It's the Game Warden LR-TG. To be fair though, I haven't installed the trigger yet because I'm bedding it today so that night change things.

SDHNTR

WKR
First impression was "woah, what's this? " It's pretty intuitive though. However, I don't think my middle finger will be under it. The most natural position seems to be with the top to to the middle of my middle finger placed on the front edge of that stop. If you didn't know, they make one without the finger stop. It's the Game Warden LR-TG. To be fair though, I haven't installed the trigger yet because I'm bedding it today so that night change things.
Look at the Game Warden LR-TG if you don’t want the finger stop.

Ok. Let us know what you think once everything is put together.

I spoke with McMillan about the TG version. They said one of their employees is a big dude (6'6"). There wasn't enough room on the grip for all his fingers below the finger stop (imagine your pinky floating below the grip). So, they made the TG version for folks with that issue.

I would really like to try both side by side, but that not likely to happen. Your feedback will be really helpful. Thanks.

SDHNTR

WKR

View attachment 656752

View attachment 656753
That does look good. Looks like standard GAP camo tho, not sure why McM is calling it something different. What are the three colors used in there? FDE/ODG/Black? Can you choose colors? How are the edges on the stencils? Can you feel the transitions?

And how do you like those MT Baja Boss tires? Are they loud on the highway? Wear evenly?

Last edited:
OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Ok. Let us know what you think once everything is put together.

I spoke with McMillan about the TG version. They said one of their employees is a big dude (6'6"). There wasn't enough room on the grip for all his fingers below the finger stop (imagine your pinky floating below the grip). So, they made the TG version for folks with that issue.

I would really like to try both side by side, but that not likely to happen. Your feedback will be really helpful. Thanks.
Will do man. I think it will really come down to shooting it. I'm 6'2" and it feels pretty comfortable, i stretched it back to 13.75 LOP. I still have to bed it and wait until we warm up a bit before I'll have a chance to shoot. If you're concerned with it, I'd say get the TG. Feel free to check back with me before you order. I think the cheek height will be okay, the rep talked me out of the adjustable cheek riser.

Last edited:
OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
That does look good. Looks like standard GAP camo tho, not sure why McM is calling it something different. What are the three colors used in there? FDE/ODG/Black? Can you choose colors? How are the edges on the stencils? Can you feel the transitions?

And how do you like those MT Baja Boss tires? Are they loud on the highway? Wear evenly?
I don't think it's standard FDE. It looks a little more olive than that. And the GAP camo is what I wanted but I didn't want to wait 8mo for the molded in color which is why I rolled the dice on the paint. It looks like you could feel the transitions but you don't. The whole stock I think is cleared and it has some sort of grippy stuff added, I think. You can pick 3 of their preset color combos. It's on the website if you look.

I love the MTs. I wanted something different than the ridge grappler everyone runs and I'm so happy I went with those. I have about 20k on them and they are a little noisy but not any more than a RG. Wear has been really good too. If they blew out today I'd go get 4 more. Plus, I've only ever seen one other set around town. And they're "rated" to 50k miles and I think I might get that or close. I'm tough on tires.

Will do man. I think it will really come down to shooting it. I'm 6'2" and it feels pretty comfortable, i stretched it back to 13.75 LOP. I still have to bed it and wait until we warm up a bit before I'll have a chance to shoot. If you're concerned with it, I'd say get the TG.

I hear you. Hope it works out well. I really like all the other features on the stock. Just need to decide on the grip.

I'm am also 6'2". Usually wear a L or XL glove. The McMillan rep I spoke to measured about 2.25"-2.5" of grip below the finger stop. That may be enough. If not I will go with the TG version.

Thanks for the info. Hope it shoots well. Keep us posted on the results.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
A couple days in and I already decided to try and ruin my $800 stock. I was always going to bed it, the plan was eventually just to see if it made a difference. Since I'm using the UM bottom metal and mag CIP length, I guess it's not 100% compatible with the origin action. I need to shave maybe 1mm off of the back of the magazine to get it to seat and lock in the bottom metal.

With that in mind I'm going to take it to my buddy's and throw it on the mill. Since I'm already going to be there I figured I'd bed it and clean that up too.

There was a bit of play where I could barely roll the action in the stock, this should take care of that.

I'll clay it up tomorrow and bed it overnight. Fingers crossed, only my second bedding job but the first was perfect.

Attachments

• 1000003765.jpg
    1000003765.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 23

Ed Hunt

FNG
A couple days in and I already decided to try and ruin my $800 stock. I was always going to bed it, the plan was eventually just to see if it made a difference. Since I'm using the UM bottom metal and mag CIP length, I guess it's not 100% compatible with the origin action. I need to shave maybe 1mm off of the back of the magazine to get it to seat and lock in the bottom metal.

With that in mind I'm going to take it to my buddy's and throw it on the mill. Since I'm already going to be there I figured I'd bed it and clean that up too.

There was a bit of play where I could barely roll the action in the stock, this should take care of that.

I'll clay it up tomorrow and bed it overnight. Fingers crossed, only my second bedding job but the first was perfect.
How did the bedding go?

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
How did the bedding go?
1000003780.jpg

It turned out really well. I chipped a few of the edges trying to get it trimmed up and most squished out from under the tang. I'd give it a 7/10. I became impatient and didn't want to wait a whole week to use my buddy's mill to clean it up so I just went after it.

This is my second bedding job. Things I've learned. For surfaces such as the action that aren't 100% smooth, the origin seems to have litte tiny grooves in it, paste wax wasn't quite enough. I had some bedding stick to it. I'll use shoe polish next time too.

The other thing is that I'll never use modeling clay to fill the voids again. The cleanup was beyond a pain in the ass. Last time I used playdoh and it was better. Next time I'm going to try silly putty.

The only thing left to do is figure out the bottom metal and mag. Loading seems very violent with 3 in the mag and it was chewing up my brass pretty good. However, it's fully functional now.

I did realize my NX8 2.5x20 won't work as it's too compact so I'll be picking up a 4x32. Think I'll go with the SFP on that one due to the possibility of close shots and I like the single illuminated dot better.

SDHNTR

WKR
View attachment 669327

It turned out really well. I chipped a few of the edges trying to get it trimmed up and most squished out from under the tang. I'd give it a 7/10. I became impatient and didn't want to wait a whole week to use my buddy's mill to clean it up so I just went after it.

This is my second bedding job. Things I've learned. For surfaces such as the action that aren't 100% smooth, the origin seems to have litte tiny grooves in it, paste wax wasn't quite enough. I had some bedding stick to it. I'll use shoe polish next time too.

The other thing is that I'll never use modeling clay to fill the voids again. The cleanup was beyond a pain in the ass. Last time I used playdoh and it was better. Next time I'm going to try silly putty.

The only thing left to do is figure out the bottom metal and mag. Loading seems very violent with 3 in the mag and it was chewing up my brass pretty good. However, it's fully functional now.

I did realize my NX8 2.5x20 won't work as it's too compact so I'll be picking up a 4x32. Think I'll go with the SFP on that one due to the possibility of close shots and I like the single illuminated dot better.
SFP on the NX8 doesn’t make much sense to me unless you plan on shooting at 16x and doubling subtensions. And even at 16x you may find your fov shrinks too much to be useful. If you want SFP, get an NXS 3-15x50.

Ed Hunt

FNG
View attachment 669327

Shit man, that turned out pretty good! I’m in the same boat with my NF

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Shit man, that turned out pretty good! I’m in the same boat with my NF
Appreciate it man. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out being my first one that I've put together from scratch. I just hope it shoots as well as it looks.