Pants advice -Sitka/SG

chav0_12

FNG
I'm needing some new pants to hunt this year's archery and rifle season since my First Lite pants are falling apart. I've been looking hard at the Stone Glacier 206 and the De Havilland Lite. At the same time I've been considering the Sitka Mountain and Traverse pants. I'd like to hear from some people that have experience with these pants and perhaps would like to hear some comparisons.

I've only used DHL pants and I did like them, but they are on the noisy side for bow hunting. I also wasn't a huge fan of the zipper system. They do not have a button on the fly and although it wasn't to bad I still prefer a button.

Beckjhong

WKR
SG sizing was very odd for me. I’m 36T pretty consistently and I couldn’t get a good fit. Legs were super tight for the waist to fit, or the waist was huge to have legroom.

OP
chav0_12

chav0_12

FNG
SG sizing was very odd for me. I’m 36T pretty consistently and I couldn’t get a good fit. Legs were super tight for the waist to fit, or the waist was huge to have legroom.
Their other stuff has fit me well. I could always go and try them on too. I think Scheels in Missoula has both there, or I just take a trip to Bozeman one of these days.

OP
chav0_12

chav0_12

FNG
Let me add that I just saw the Sitka Intercept pants and am kind of intrigued by those too. I’ve been wearing the same pair of First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants for the last 6 or 7 years and their DWR is completely gone and they don’t seem to want to take anymore either. I can usually get through the whole season including trips to AZ in the spring with one pair of pants. I’m sorta looking for something that will do that as well as adding a lighter weight pair of pants too.

I have the dehavilland lite and traverse. I would say that the traverse are a bit quieter and lighter. With that said I haven’t used them since I got the dehavillands. I really like them. They have more pockets and I love the hip zips. The fact that they are so large really let’s you dump heat quickly. They are a bit heavier material but I think the zips make them a lot more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my DH Lites. As some have said, they are a little noisy. I also really like Kuiu’s Katana Stretch Woven pant. I wear them all summer and early fall when it’s still really hot out.

Southfork

FNG
I’ve used the same pair of Sitka Mountain pants for five years, and they have worked well for me. They have held up well, are very comfortable, and fairly quiet. If going with Sitka, I would wear wear the Timberline pant and not the Mountain pant for anything later than September. Haven’t tried the SG pants.

Just picked up some SG Dehavilland Lites. Really like them so far. The side zips and adjustable fly are brilliant. The sizing is a bit more athletic, but nothing crazy. I’m a 33” waist and I started with the medium large and they were too baggy and too long. I went down to the mediums and they fit great. A big snugger in the seat with a high waist. Really looking forward to using them this season.

I switched from the Sitka Mountains to the SG DH life’s - switched to get hip vents and I really like the adjustable fly - I don’t need to wear a belt with them…..I have nothing but good to say about the mountains - solid pant, comfortable and durable - just wanted a hip vent as I run hot….can’t go wrong either way!

I have them all that you mentioned. I got the Sitka last year and then grabbed the SG this summer.

They each have their niche that the fill. Can’t go wrong with any. Everything equal. I do like the zip vents in the SG to dump heat when needed.

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
I have the SG DHL's, the Sitka Mountain, Traverse, and Ascent pants for early season. I've worn the SG's once and they're so loud I don't know if I dare take them into the woods. The Mountain pants are much quieter and feel to be more breathable, the big negative is no hip vents... The Traverse are lighter but durable, simple pant but again, no hip vents or knee pads although I've never needed either in this pant. The ascents are ok, wouldn't recommend over the others. I like my Kuiu Katana Stretch pant the best right now, not as quiet as the sitka but fit me better and have the hip vents. Really interested in the Sitka Intercept pant, but not for $290... Good luck.

feanor

WKR
Yeah loud and swishy for SG. The fit can be baggy in the crotch depending on your size. The Sitka pant fit is much more athletic, and I like that.

OP
chav0_12

chav0_12

FNG
Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate you all sharing your experience with the different pants I listed. I think the next step for me is going to have to be just trying them on,

sr80

WKR
ive been using the 206`s this summer, I do own the DH lites, and regulars as well. Used to wear sitka pants but their lack of venting made me switch. Sitka 34talls fit me really well. Where as the SG pants were a bit of a struggle, i did end up getting all my SG pants taken in, in the legs. To get a waist that fits me comfortable i had to go to a medium/large, but then found the legs to be way to baggy for my liking. But overall the SG pants are very durable. The large hip vents are nice, and the inner leg vents on the 206 pants are very effective. More so than the outer vents. I really like the sitka ascent pants for early season.

OP
chav0_12

chav0_12

FNG
ive been using the 206`s this summer, I do own the DH lites, and regulars as well. Used to wear sitka pants but their lack of venting made me switch. Sitka 34talls fit me really well. Where as the SG pants were a bit of a struggle, i did end up getting all my SG pants taken in, in the legs. To get a waist that fits me comfortable i had to go to a medium/large, but then found the legs to be way to baggy for my liking. But overall the SG pants are very durable. The large hip vents are nice, and the inner leg vents on the 206 pants are very effective. More so than the outer vents. I really like the sitka ascent pants for early season.
Are they loud like some of the others have been saying? My concern with the zips on the inside would be some chafing in that area. That’s been fine though, I assume?

Been wearing sitka pants (ascent, mountain, and timberline) for many years and they fit me perfectly, but lately have been thinking of switching to something with hip vents.. Tried on the SG DHLs and ended up needing the XL (I wear a 35 in sitka pants) and legs were super long and the pants seemed baggy.

The new Sitka Intercepts look great, but not sure I can bring myself to spend that kind of money on a pair of pants..

Are they loud like some of the others have been saying? My concern with the zips on the inside would be some chafing in that area. That’s been fine though, I assume?

No issues at all with the zips rubbing for me anyways.