Patagonia donated to fight climate change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckjhong

WKR
Too bad hunters, who are supposed to be conservationists, have gotten so wrapped up in this us vs them nonsense that they have abandoned their ability to use rational thought and critical thinking. Instead we divide ourselves into camps, and have knee jerk reactions to everything that people in the other camp say. Patagonia makes good gear, it lasts for ages, and holds up better than a lot of the "hunting" brands. How it got to be that anyone who cared about the environment that we leave for our children became some evil lefty green and anyone who thinks that mindlessly drilling and destroying public lands became a genius is beyond me. Maybe use this as a point of discussion and compromise, instead of mindlessly spewing talking points that we don't understand. And for the record, I'm on the sitting in the middle, going WTF is wrong with all these people who are being programmed by both sides...
Perhaps there is common ground. As a hunter, I want wild places, good animal populations, and good animal habitat for summer and winter ranges. I want adequate water, open migration corridors, and the ability for my children to experience it. I don’t think those desires are that out of line with Patagonia.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe people in the lesser 48 dont notice climate change since all your glaciers are gone and what not. But up here in ak you dont have too look to far to see that things are changing "quick" relatively speaking. Especially when you go out to coastal villages and talk to some of the older natives. If you're ever in seward, go to exit glacier and you will see how fast things are moving. Theres glaciers you use to be able to see from the highway that are now receded back behind mountains that happened just in the passed 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
We went there this summer and it was shocking. Walking the trail passing by the 200X-201X signs and not even being remotely close to the glacier was so depressing.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
Too bad hunters, who are supposed to be conservationists, have gotten so wrapped up in this us vs them nonsense that they have abandoned their ability to use rational thought and critical thinking. Instead we divide ourselves into camps, and have knee jerk reactions to everything that people in the other camp say. Patagonia makes good gear, it lasts for ages, and holds up better than a lot of the "hunting" brands. How it got to be that anyone who cared about the environment that we leave for our children became some evil lefty green and anyone who thinks that mindlessly drilling and destroying public lands became a genius is beyond me. Maybe use this as a point of discussion and compromise, instead of mindlessly spewing talking points that we don't understand. And for the record, I'm in the sitting in the middle camp, going WTF is wrong with all these people who are being programmed by both sides...
Fence riders are the superior being.

Maybe people in the lesser 48 dont notice climate change since all your glaciers are gone and what not. But up here in ak you dont have too look to far to see that things are changing "quick" relatively speaking. Especially when you go out to coastal villages and talk to some of the older natives. If you're ever in seward, go to exit glacier and you will see how fast things are moving. Theres glaciers you use to be able to see from the highway that are now receded back behind mountains that happened just in the passed 10 years.

Climate has always changed… before the first fossil fuel was burned… how much of our climate change a natural occurrence? The current “solutions” are worse than the problem… humans adapt and advance, if climate change is happening at unnatural rates, the current efforts certainly aren’t going to change anything… I see 95% of the climate war nothing but virtue signaling

Yep, its called Summer!!!
All this climate change and virtually no hurricanes this year.
Course nobody wants to mention that.
And all the warming,,,,,,Well. Mobile Bay froze over in Dec. of 2017.
Yep, seen it for myself. Down here in the lesser 48.
Oh yeah. Forgot about summer… that makes me feel better, I thought we all had about 10 months to live😉

What, like Iceland being green and Greenland being ice?

Or lake beds drying up and finding ancient signs of civilization

Or finding artifics now exposed that were previously buried below untold amounts of solid ice?

To think we're seeing something for the first time is assine. We just have very narrow minds and social media/the ability to spread news has made things into a major over reaction.

Fence riders are the superior being.
If being a moderate is considered a fence rider, then I'll build a nice platform in the middle. Just tired of all the stupidity from both sides who think torching the village to save it is the only solution. Hard to want to belong to either camp when all they do is yell about how bad the other side is.

- Climate fluctuates naturally, and yes humans do have an impact, probably not as great as some make it out to be, but probably not so little as others believe.

- I would rather support a company and a founder that stands by their convictions, and looks for solutions to common problems, even though I may not agree with them on all points, than a company owned by someone who locks up public land for their own use, and keeps out the public land hunters that I think represent a fair percentage of the users on this site. (My buddy shot an 8x8 near a Koch brothers ranch, watched it run onto his property, only marked by ON-X boundaries, and saw it die within a 100 yards of the property line. Went to ask permission to retrieve it and was told they would rather let it rot then let him onto the property to get it. Who would you rather support?) This same Koch brother has been trying to buy up all the access roads surrounding a major wilderness area in order to land lock the public land behind his property.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
Pretty much everything today is about hype & money.....just look at hunting influencers or social media influencers in general. Sell your product at any cost to honesty.

jmez

WKR
If being a moderate is considered a fence rider, then I'll build a nice platform in the middle. Just tired of all the stupidity from both sides who think torching the village to save it is the only solution. Hard to want to belong to either camp when all they do is yell about how bad the other side is.

- Climate fluctuates naturally, and yes humans do have an impact, probably not as great as some make it out to be, but probably not so little as others believe.

- I would rather support a company and a founder that stands by their convictions, and looks for solutions to common problems, even though I may not agree with them on all points, than a company owned by someone who locks up public land for their own use, and keeps out the public land hunters that I think represent a fair percentage of the users on this site. (My buddy shot an 8x8 near a Koch brothers ranch, watched it run onto his property, only marked by ON-X boundaries, and saw it die within a 100 yards of the property line. Went to ask permission to retrieve it and was told they would rather let it rot then let him onto the property to get it. Who would you rather support?) This same Koch brother has been trying to buy up all the access roads surrounding a major wilderness area in order to land lock the public land behind his property.
Apples to oranges. You have no idea if the Patagonia founder would let you on his private land to retrieve a dead animal.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
As was stated above, lots of posters (myself included) don’t live in places where glaciers exist. Folks who do with whom I have spoken generally seem to understand that something is amiss. It isn’t that glaciers don’t expand and receding over time, it is the rate at which glaciers have receded over the past couple of decades which highlights things many want to dismiss. A few years ago we went to a spot in AK where arrow heads and such were being exposed due to a snow patch melting. I initially thought “who cares” because if they were being exposed then there was a point where mankind lived in AK where their arrow landed atop the snow. But then it occurred to me how many centuries the snow was building, and how (relatively) few years it took for it to recede to expose the arrow heads.

Billinsd

WKR
Maybe people in the lesser 48 dont notice climate change since all your glaciers are gone and what not.
Most everyone believes there are some weather changes. I do too. What are they caused by? Solar flares on the sun? Natural cycle of the earth with little to no affect from humans? or mostly caused by humans. No one really knows for sure. Do humans effect the planet, of course. How much? hmmmm, no one really knows. Should we conserve and not waste? ABSOLUTELY! Should we let communists that hate our society lead us to save our earth? ABSOLUTELY NOT, are you CRAZY? Look at the recent climate pork spending that's mostly wealth distribution. Bill says climate change? dunno? My geology course work taught me that the earth is a big dynamic ball, that's been through all kinds of upheavals. Do I want to live in a marxist utopian "Holiday in Cambodia, where you do what your told with a gun at your back"? No. Just say no to the red/green pinko commies. The ugly truth is the world is greatly overpopulated and not sustainable.

Last edited:

I don't need to go to the middle of nowhere and watch ice cubes melt to know that the earth goes through cycles. I can just read a grade school level science or history book. Climate change is real. Nobody is objecting to that.

The objection is to the pseudo-science/cult of MAN-MADE Climate change. The objection is to the globalists that endlessly seek more power and resources. They pay for "experts" to point their fingers at the common folk and manipulate them with fear. Meanwhile, the wealthy hypocrites continue to live as they always have: flying in jets everywhere, building mansions on beaches, etc.

Whenever you're bored of watching glaciers recede --like they always have for like 16,000 years-- you might consider reading up about the history of our planet and the solar cycles we are currently in.

Here's a hint: the earth's climate changes constantly.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please keep the comments written in a “respectfully disagree” tone and not a “your wrong” tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.