Patagonia Macro Puff Reviews?

Anyone have any experience with the Macro Puff? (not the micro puff or the nano puff). I'm re-evaluating my outer layer puffy, considering synthetic instead of down, with the goal of one outer layer that works across more actives. I sold my KUIU Super Down Pro....it was fine didn't love it didn't hate it....and wanted to get a solid color...as I only wore the jacket during hunting season...I'm on a mission across my apparel (hunting/fishing/casual) to bring down cost per wear and move from lots of jackets to 2-3. I recently acquired a SG Grumman in size large. Fits me great over light fleece, would make a wonderful everyday down, extremely light, but is too tight of a fit in my western hunt kit as my standard system is wool tee, Sitka Ambient 2nd layer, KUIU Kenai hooded 3rd layer (one of my favorite jackets of all time, same tech as Patagonia's Nano Air, another all time fav). I'm reconsidering synthetic vs down. Down is great, and has been my puffy layer for a while, but for a do everything jacket in a lot of mixed weather and mixed activities, I'm going to move to synthetic puffy for a while and see what happens. Any real world reviews on the Macro Puff? Or other ideas on cold weather synthetic puffy worth looking at?

Last edited:
OP
ColoradoCarp
Good question...I'm not sure...I don't have the Atom, but they don't refer to it on their site the same way. My guess is, its a little different. The Kenai and Nano Air share the exact same (tho, Kenai insulation is now DWR treated, I don't think the nano air is) stretchable insulation that doesn't need to be paired with a coated fabric, which makes the jackets so breathable and comfy. Standard synthetic insulation and down require coated fabrics, which is why they are shiny. I think the Atom is marketed as a similar jacket, but I can't confirm if they use the same insulation exactly. The 3Defx is a Torey product, and its my understanding that Patagonia brands that same Torey insulation as "Full Range".