Lightweight puffy jacket

mblauch

FNG
Looking for a lightweight puffy jacket for my next western hunt, at this point the super down pro is at the top of my list, I’ve heard mixed reviews on the SG grunman with regards to durability, are there any others I should look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Cumulus, high grade down, light weight, less expensive and better than any of the hunting brand puffy jackets I've owned. I'd put Montbell and Katabatic right in there too. I went a little overboard with puffy coats a while ago and tried a bunch.

OP
M

mblauch

FNG
I briefly looked at cumulus and montbell, have you had any issues with the shell being a thinner material than some of the hunting brands? If I recall correctly they’re maybe a 10d exterior? I might be wrong about that, I was worried about it being so light that it might rip easily, no plans of bushwhacking in this jacket, but I know I catch sleeves on stuff even when I’m just sitting

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
My montbell and cumulus puffy coats have held up better than my kuiu. I've worn them while doing camp chores between clients and I've also worn them quite a bit in the off season around town. I also found the kuiu had more down leakage than any of the mountaineering brands.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@WCS where is cumulus available in the U.S.? I haven’t looked in a few years but all I could find is a huge shipping charge to get it here.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
@WCS where is cumulus available in the U.S.? I haven’t looked in a few years but all I could find is a huge shipping charge to get it here.
I'm in Canada. The shipping to Whitehorse was fairly reasonable. Just looking at my receipt for a sleeping bag I bought a little while ago, they charged me $19 USD for shipping to Whitehorse through DHL.

OP
M

mblauch

FNG
Which montbell and cumulus jackets do you have? When I was looking at them I was looking at the alpine down parka by montbell and the neolite endurance or mountlite by cumulus

feanor

WKR
I’ve got an alpine down parka. It’s nearly best in class for specs. It weighs about 16oz, but with 7.1 fill weight, it’s so dang warm. Like wearing a sleeping bag. I would put it up against most anything ‘popular’ out there in the hunting jacket space, and expect it to out perform.

Reactions: WCS

sneaky

"DADDY"
As much as I like to support hunting brands, they don't stack up to mountaineering brands when it comes to down gear. I'm not paying a premium for a mid- range down jacket just because it's camo.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Which montbell and cumulus jackets do you have? When I was looking at them I was looking at the alpine down parka by montbell and the neolite endurance or mountlite by cumulus

I've got the Montbell altiplano (japan site only), the alpine down parka and used to have the Plasma 1000. From Cumulus I've got the incredilite endurance and one of my hunting buddies bought the mountlite at the same time. Also I used to have a katabatic tincup, which I found a little too short in the torso, otherwise nice puffy. The mountlite is light, and warm, but not quite as warm as the altiplano which I believe has box baffles. The incredilite was what I was looking for August sheep hunting. The alpine down parka was what I wore when I was outside today at -29 C splitting some kindling for the wood stove. It is like wearing a sleeping bag, as others have mentioned. I imagine the neolite endurance would be crazy warm.

Are you looking for something super warm?

I went on that search a couple of years ago. I wanted something super warm as a static insulation piece. Caveat that I am a bigger guy - 2XL in most tops - and I wanted something that was sized to go over all my layers plus bino harness. Basically put it on when I stopped and take it off before I moved on.

I ordered a bunch of different puffies a couple of years ago and ended up with the Montbell alpine. Keeping in mind, sizing was one of my constraints, as was in stock availibility. I have used it during two cold, late season hunts and a winter camping trip. It is light and super warm. I wouldn’t want to bust brush with it, but it fits my desired role perfectly.

gusd

FNG
I assume the shells are loud and not that tough.So does anyone wear a lightweight shell to cover the jacket to get a quieter tougher exterior?

Dennis

WKR
I have the Kuiu Ultra down and Kuiu Kenai hooded jacket. The Kenai is slightly heavier however is much quieter and is my favorite for an archery hunting puffy. The Ultra down is warmer and packs down smaller. I assume the Super down is much warmer, but I can layer these if necessary. For a shell I wear the Kuiu 240 early to mid season or the Guide Jacket for mid or later seasons.

OP
M

mblauch

FNG
Yeah my goal is to find something that’s packable that I can throw on when I get to a glassing point and stay warm for possibly several hours, in the past I’ve been limited by how long I sit somewhere because I’d get cold and get up and move to warm up, I’m also planning a backcountry hunt this fall and it seems like having a warm light puffy is a good idea for something like that

My buddy bought a cheap made in china jacket from burlington coat factory. I swear the jacket is identical to my kuiu super down. He paid $80 brand new and it matches stitch for stitch with the Kuiu. Probably was made in the same factory.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an alpine down parka. It’s nearly best in class for specs. It weighs about 16oz, but with 7.1 fill weight, it’s so dang warm. Like wearing a sleeping bag. I would put it up against most anything ‘popular’ out there in the hunting jacket space, and expect it to out perform.
Is it the UnderArmour Alpine Ops parka that you have?