Paying for the name? Vest discussion

VaBruiser

FNG
Can someone shed some light. Explain the difference or provide a convincing argument why I should buy the $175.00 First Lite tempest vest over the $37.00 Cabela's windshear camo vest. I have never owned or even seen either. Is the quality and functionality in the FL vest that much better? This of course is just one example of a time where I can't help but think we may just be paying significantly more money for gear than is necessary, simply because of the brand name. Am I wrong? I will preface this by saying, I think it's fair to exclude base layers from this discussion.

nobody

WKR
I have no experience with either specific piece you mention above, but I think as a general rule every piece of gear has you “paying for a name.” Sometimes that’s a good thing, such as with customer service or warranty support, and sometimes you’re just paying to have their logo on your chest.

That said, if a piece of gear works well and costs less, then I say go for it. Who cares about the brand? As an example, Lots of guys crap on Redhead camo from cabelas, but I bought their parka last year before my colorado 3rd season deer hunt for about $80 on sale, and it was totally worth the investment, and a piece I would recommend to anybody and everybody in the market for a parka. One from Kuiu would’ve done nothing functionally more for me except drain my wallet further.

Who cares about the brand, but the best piece you’re looking for from any brand and go hunt.