Peak Rut in Colorado????

bsshaver

FNG
Usually hunt 1st archery but have a chance to go later this year. I know there are a lot of variables in rut such as location, weather, moon, feed ect... BUT, for you Colorado locals and rut hunting faithful, what week is historically best for the peak rut??
I am afforded the opportunity to hunt private land on the southern part of Unit 62 just west of Ridgeway.

Anyway, whatever experience you guys have is appreciated. Thank you.

ElkNut1

WKR
Peak rut does not change much from year to year! Schedule your hunt from 15th to 25th or there abouts & you cannot go wrong!

ElkNut1

September. These dates can be a turn off to some as they are during muzzy season. Some archery hunters prefer to hunt either before or after muzzy season. In my experience muzzy shots don't really scare animals, so just expect more pressure due to additional number of hunters and not loud noises. This year the seasons are early: muzzy from 10-18 and archery from 8/27-9/25 so not too much overlap and the dates Elknut mentioned are the end of the season.

ahlgringo

WKR
Agree that muzzy season is a wildcard. Last year day before action was on, Saturday- like a light switch- off. Monday after Muzzy- back on- though never as hot as the week before. There were a lot of orange coats in the area though so it may have been overall pressure more than any boomsticks going off.

OP
bsshaver

bsshaver

FNG
well I'll be hunting 3,000 acres of private land just south of Nat'l Forrest so I'm not concerned about other hunters. As a matter of fact their pressure may help me.

I'm thinking 15-30th.

elkyinzer

WKR
In my limited experience weather is as big if not a bigger factor influencing daytime activity. Certainly there's a peak rut which when most cows are bred but that doesn't mean that's the best day to hunt. A cold snap during September and daytime bugling takes off and bulls seem to get a lititle bit dumber.

gmajor

WKR
I'm a muzzy hunter (it's what works with my schedule). Was good in 2014, but hunt got derailed when my buddy blew out his knee, and last year was awful around me.