People using extra big quilts…

I’ve seen folks here recommend extra wide and long quilts even for average sized guys. I’m just wondering, for you “average” guys (5’10”, not overweight), who toss and turn, do you find the extra width helpful? I’d be worried that it would just create more space that needs to be warmed up in the bag.

And regarding longer quilts - what are you doing with the extra length? Pulling it over your head? Leaving empty space below your feet? It seems like pulling a down quilt over your head is a recipe for moisture problems and that most quilts are designed to cinch around the neck anyways.

Just trying to get a picture of how quilts are being used by the people here. Thanks!

Gone4Days

WKR
I am 6’ 180 and have an EE Enigma. Mine is regular length but wide and am perfectly happy with it. When it gets cold, I use the pad strap to keep everything in place when tossing and turning.

mlgc20

WKR
My main quilt is extra wide. At the time I got it, I needed the extra width. I have since lost 70 pounds, so I don't need nearly that much room. However, I haven't really noticed any difference in thermal efficiency. It probably does take an extra few minutes to fully heat up. But, not really enough to notice. Having said that, I have purchased a couple of other quilts since I lost weight that weren't nearly as wide.

My quilts are all longs, even though I'm only 5'10". Even when I was using sleeping bags I got extra long. I like having the available space for throwing clothes and electronics at the bottom so they stay warm on really cold nights. I've never really used the extra length to pull the quilt over my head.

I’m 5’8” and use a long/wide. I do pull it over my head usually and have never had an issue with moisture.

BBob

WKR
I’m just wondering, for you “average” guys (5’10”, not overweight), who toss and turn, do you find the extra width helpful? I’d be worried that it would just create more space that needs to be warmed up in the bag.
I do. There isn't any extra space because you tuck/pull the sides in under you. El Coyote cautioned about "extra space" but I haven't found it to be an issue because I pull the sides in and out as needed. I sleep mostly with my knees pulled up (fetal) and tuck the edge of the bag under my knees. I also sleep a lot with one knee pulled up, same^^^. I do not ever pull a bag over my head (I have confinement issues :ROFLMAO: ) and if I did I have plenty of room when sleeping with knees pulled up so std length for me.

I am 5’10” and I run a Western Mountaineering Astralite in the long size which is cut as a wide as well.

In terms of the length, I run long on all my sleeping bags and pads, because I tend to sleep on my stomach a lot, so I need the extra length to accommodate the extra length of my feet since they are extended out behind me. My astralite is still a touch on the long side, but the Astralite has a nice draft collar and top cinch that keeps it for going over my head and seals moisture from my breath from ending up inside.

As far as the wide, it is nice when it is close to the lower limit of the bag to be able to use the pad straps to wrap the quilt up underneath my body to seal out any drafts. Given that I am a hot sleeper... I have taken this 24 degree rated quilt down to the low teens by using my puffy jacket underneath and tucking it under like I’m saying.

IMO, one of the biggest benefits to the quilt is the spacious amount of coverage allowing me the ability to sprawl out and move around, this is the other reason why having the extra width is paramount for me.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I am 5'10" and have a long/wide EE Revelation 0deg. If I purchased the quilt again, I would buy the regular length. When I use the footbox the quilt can bulge at one location creating a cold spot. I do enjoy the wide width, I am able to wrap the quilt most of the way underneath myself when it is cold, which seems to eliminate drafts.

EE Revelation extra long, extra wide 20F. Am 6'4" and don't regret the extra width and length. A little more weight but love the quilt and have not regretted the extra.

From what I’ve gathered some people use quilts as basically minimalist lightweight sleeping bags - for them, they can stick to the manufacturer’s recommended sizing and make sure they use a good pad attachment system.

For others, they use the quilt like you’d use a big comforter at home - they wrap themselves up in it and even cover their heads with it. For them, long and extra wide quilts are essential as they need all the coverage they can get.

It seems like if you’re cool with the weight, you can always take care of the extra width by just tucking it under you. I’m not so sure about the extra length, unless you are pulling it over your head as a substitute for a hood.

Voyageur

WKR
5'11" 178#
I have a long/wide UGQ and am very happy with it.
As others have said the extra either lays off to the sides for venting in warmer weather or is tucked underneath in colder temps.
I don't pull quilts (or bags) over my head/mouth and nose because I do feel vapor condensation from breathing is a concern...especially in colder weather.
Hope this helps.