Montana (and other state) hunter orange laws out dated?

IDVortex

WKR
I'm not for it or agasint it. I understand the reason it became required in certain states, but also now think we tend to have much better hunter safety courses and such for training. But at the end of the day, a life is still taken, so what can we do to try and prevent a life from being taken without stepping on rights or taking away someone's rights?

You’re violating the #1 rule of firearm safety. Never point a firearm and something you don’t intend on destroying.

What do you mean “when” you’re carrying your binos? There’s no reason to not always have your binos on you if you’re rifle hunting. There’s absolutely no reason to look at an unidentified object in your scope.

Lastly you couldn’t be more wrong. Anyone I would hunt with and myself included have never scoped someone. There’s just absolutely no reason for it.
It happens, orange or not. Just last year the wife and I ended up in the crosshairs of a Wyoming local, good ol boy for sure we talked with them for a while and they were super nice. That dude had a rifle with probably a 26" barrel and a 7-8" suppressor on it that looked like a bazooka when he pulled it up away from our direction. We'd spotted Elk up on a Ridgeline and drove around the canyon and parked the truck, hiked about a mile up a road with no vehicle tracks and crept around a corner underneath the ridge. Saw movement and a scoped rifle looking at me from about 80 yards away. They were sitting in their buggy in the road coming from the other direction and had already spooked the elk off when they drove up, heard our footsteps in the snow and took aim as we rounded the corner.

It happens, orange or not. Just last year the wife and I ended up in the crosshairs of a Wyoming local, good ol boy for sure we talked with them for a while and they were super nice. That dude had a rifle with probably a 26" barrel and a 7-8" suppressor on it that looked like a bazooka when he pulled it up away from our direction. We'd spotted Elk up on a Ridgeline and drove around the canyon and parked the truck, hiked about a mile up a road with no vehicle tracks and crept around a corner underneath the ridge. Saw movement and a scoped rifle looking at me from about 80 yards away. They were sitting in their buggy in the road coming from the other direction and had already spooked the elk off when they drove up, heard our footsteps in the snow and took aim as we rounded the corner.
I’m aware it happens, I’m just saying most people don’t do that to others like he was claiming.

OP
StickSlingers

StickSlingers

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, born in Astoria Oregon and raised across the river. I’ve never heard anything like that in my life This thread has some wackadoos

Oh really? I’m just right up the highway in rainier OR Maybe he’s hunting in downtown Portland haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Orange hat or cap is required dashboard ornament in Oklahoma beginning with ml season thru rifle season.

Orange vests are dumb. I forget I'm even wearing an orange cap.

Holy hell, way to admit you’re the problem.

Not everyone carries binos in addition to their rifle scope in the field. In VA we have orange requirement, so if I see movement and non orange out in front of me, I'll be checking it out with my rifle scope. I have zero reason to carry binos when I'm rifle hunting in VA.

Not everyone carries binos in addition to their rifle scope in the field. In VA we have orange requirement, so if I see movement and non orange out in front of me, I'll be checking it out with my rifle scope. I have zero reason to carry binos when I'm rifle hunting in VA.
No reason? Sounds like you need binos to check movement. There’s absolutely no reason to point your gun at something you haven’t identified.

No reason? Sounds like you need binos to check movement. There’s absolutely no reason to point your gun at something you haven’t identified.

If I'm in the field hunting and i see movement across the field I'm gonna assume its a deer so my immediate intent would be to destroy it if its the animal i'm looking for

game is color blind, they dont know orange from blue. birds can see color. wearing orange is akin to wearing a seat belt. you may never need it, but if you do and don't have it on the toll can be heavy. do you think your vitals will look any different than a deer or elk's once a bullet goes thru it? it only has to happen once! stupid is as stupid does.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I'm in the field hunting and i see movement across the field I'm gonna assume its a deer so my immediate intent would be to destroy it if its the animal i'm looking for
I honestly thought they taught everyone in hunter safety that pointing your rifle at something unknown was the ultimate safety violation?

Is hunter safety required to get a license there? Just curious because it seems like a crazy practice to me too.

Sorry not trying to be an ass just genuinely curious as it's obviously a regional norm that I thought was thing if the past.

Last edited:
I honestly thought they taught everyone in hunter safety that pointing your rifle at something unknown was the ultimate safety violation?

Is hunter safety required to get a license there? Just curious because it seems like a crazy practice to me too.

Sorry not trying to be an ass just genuinely curious as it's obviously a regional norm that I thought was thing if the past.
I’m blown away by that too. I was taught and now teach the rifle scope is only for when you’re taking a shot on a confirmed target. Even in heavy timber my binos are coming up constantly to scan. So I don’t see any situation I don’t want my binos handy.

Around here, you have small windows of opportunity and sometimes small shooting windows. This isn't western hunting where you have a 1K yard unobstructed view in a lot of places.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Around here, you have small windows of opportunity and sometimes small shooting windows. This isn't western hunting where you have a 1K yard unobstructed view in a lot of places.
Thanks. Interesting how hunting norms can vary so much region to region.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk