Permethrin Treatment on Boots

JohnnyB

WKR
Do any of you treat your boots with permethrin? Any effect on materials or waterproofing? I have always treated my boots prior to spring bear, but my boots didn’t cost a small fortune until now.

Any input would be appreciate.

Yes, I spray it on boots and pants. Never had any negative effects that I know of. Keeps ticks off

I also take a spoonful of apple cider vinegar starting at least the day before I am going into the woods, and keep taking it daily while there. Doesn't work for everyone, but works for many. I sometimes find a tick crawling, but rarely have one attach

OP
J

JohnnyB

WKR
Yes, I spray it on boots and pants. Never had any negative effects that I know of. Keeps ticks off

I also take a spoonful of apple cider vinegar starting at least the day before I am going into the woods, and keep taking it daily while there. Doesn't work for everyone, but works for many. I sometimes find a tick crawling, but rarely have one attach
ACV for ticks? Wow, I had no idea. That stuff does just about everything.

I’ve never sprayed my boots because just figured it wouldn’t bond to the material but douse my gaiters, that seems to work pretty well.

Fordguy

WKR
I spray everything except my socks and underwear. Ticks in some areas that I turkey hunt are insane. I've never seen anything like it. That said, I've never noticed any problems from spraying boots or clothing, and I apply Sawyers HEAVILY.

LostArra

WKR
I spray everything except my socks and underwear. Ticks in some areas that I turkey hunt are insane. I've never seen anything like it. That said, I've never noticed any problems from spraying boots or clothing, and I apply Sawyers HEAVILY.

Why not the socks? That's one of my first places to spray. If you ever get true chiggers under a sock you will know why.

Mosby

WKR
Depends on my boots. I don't put it on any of my all leather boots. I take off the laces and spray them though. I put in on my boots that have nylon on the sides and tongue. Gaiters, pants, hats, even my tents get treated. Helps with not only ticks but chiggers. I fear chiggers far more than ticks when hunting down south.

Mosby

WKR
I have talked to construction and lawn guys around my house and they told me they take B complex vitamins and it really helps reduce bug bites.

Fordguy

WKR
Why not the socks? That's one of my first places to spray. If you ever get true chiggers under a sock you will know why.
I spray everything the day before I hunt, (even though sawyers label says it's good for a few washings). Drying is limited to outdoor areas for me, my girlfriend is allergic to almost everything, and she claims that pyrethrins/permethrin bother her- so all my clothing hangs outdoors the night before I hunt. Im not a fan of damp socks early in the morning, and my boots are tall enough that my sprayed pants tuck into my sprayed boots.
I've gotten into the chiggers here a few times, once was particularly bad (close to 200 bites), but never during turkey season. They seem to be more prevalent in mid summer here when it's uncomfortably hot and humid. I know a guy who sprays and wears a pear of spandex biker pants under his camo. He hunts some of the same areas that I do.

Depends on my boots. I don't put it on any of my all leather boots. I take off the laces and spray them though. I put in on my boots that have nylon on the sides and tongue. Gaiters, pants, hats, even my tents get treated. Helps with not only ticks but chiggers. I fear chiggers far more than ticks when hunting down south.
I’ve got so many chigger scars from Basic training at Ft. Benning Georgia. 3 decades later and they are still nasty scars.

Yarak

WKR
I mix my own rather than buy the premix and I always spray my clothes, boots and gear just before deer bow season and turkey season come in
I use a 20/1 ratio for my mix....that’s 20 ounces of water to 1 ounce of permethrin
You can buy this at Tractor Supply or your local Co-Op

Last edited:

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I do as well. A $10 bottle has lasted me years. I use on my dogs, deer/turkey hunt clothes, pants for mushroom hunting or scouting, bow fishing or running dog’s in the summer. Never get a single tick on me or the dogs. There’s dif recipes for dif things but ten dollars worth last many years

ethan

WKR
I've never sprayed my boots, but I do wear warm weather gaiters that I keep a lot of permethrin on for off trail stuff in the summer. Might be a way to keep from having to spray on your boots??

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
That’s actually a good point. I’ve never sprayed my boots either. Even if wearing shorts a set of mule summer chaps could be treated and thrown on. I’ve done it and it works. Ticks are clinging onto brush higher than boots anyhow, least around here

ODB

WKR
I spray everything the day before I hunt, (even though sawyers label says it's good for a few washings). Drying is limited to outdoor areas for me, my girlfriend is allergic to almost everything, and she claims that pyrethrins/permethrin bother her- so all my clothing hangs outdoors the night before I hunt. Im not a fan of damp socks early in the morning, and my boots are tall enough that my sprayed pants tuck into my sprayed boots.
I've gotten into the chiggers here a few times, once was particularly bad (close to 200 bites), but never during turkey season. They seem to be more prevalent in mid summer here when it's uncomfortably hot and humid. I know a guy who sprays and wears a pear of spandex biker pants under his camo. He hunts some of the same areas that I do.

Is she allergic to chrysanthemums? Serious question.

Kilboars

WKR
I treat my boots, camp shoes, socks even the carpeting in my SUV. Pretty much anything I take to the woods gets treated.

I can tell right away when it starts to wear off so I spray all my hunting clothes after I wash them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mix my own and soak everything in a bucket, wring out, then line dry. No worries about Permethrin after it’s dry. Permethrin is used on almost every piece of imported clothing you purchase. They do it to protect against any bugs in shipping.