Personal Locator Beacon/SPOT... 50 square miles

Do you guys have/carry a beacon/spot? I am headed to West Texas for a solo trip that has a 50 square mile range with cell service only on one plateau and I am thinking about if I need a beacon. With the beacon you pay once, register, and are done. With the spot you have to subscribe, but they have a 'flex plan' for 35 bucks a year so that you can turn it on and off on a monthly basis (30 to activate/15ish a month). The month to month option is attractive...

I don't plan on getting injured or lost, but shit happens. Do you guys keep a version of this in your kit, and if you were thinking about a few days solo in the back country would you add one?

Thanks

BigD

FNG
I had a Spot when they first came out, worked fine sending out OK messages. I now have an InReach mini with the flex plan. The ability to text anyone with no cell service is great.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what a “beacon” is. I’m assuming it’s a one way to emergency services only, no two way or ability to reach anyone else?

It can be a good chunk of coin to purchase and subscribe for just one trip but like you said things happen. Personally I went with a Zoleo (garmin inreach is similar capability) for two way texting and it uses the iridium network (garmin does too) which seems to be more reliable than globalstar.

Being able to text both ways with anyone is plus imo. People tend to forget that there could be an emergency at home, not just with you on your hunt. Also for non life threatening things such as a car breakdown.

OP
GoM_Coaster
Not sure what a “beacon” is. I’m assuming it’s a one way to emergency services only, no two way or ability to reach anyone else?

It can be a good chunk of coin to purchase and subscribe for just one trip but like you said things happen. Personally I went with a Zoleo (garmin inreach is similar capability) for two way texting and it uses the iridium network (garmin does too) which seems to be more reliable than globalstar.

Being able to text both ways with anyone is plus imo. People tend to forget that there could be an emergency at home, not just with you on your hunt. Also for non life threatening things such as a car breakdown.
You are right... like an epirb for land... acr makes the resQlink. buy once and register and you are done, but you are right it is locator only. The texting is a nice feature.

Pootros

FNG
I second the InReach or Zoleo. The Spot uses a low orbit satellite and the others use a much more robust system. The Zoleo uses a phone number that you can keep year to year as well.

As someone who does rescues in the backcountry, having someone with the ability to relay pertinent information is super helpful.

Hoss

FNG
I would definitely recommend you add one to your kit!!

As an oldtimer I used to rely totally on paper maps, compass, the smallest gps I could find, and my youthful invincibility. Then 20years ago when Ralston had to cut off his own arm or die in the Utah canyons I woke up and realized I needed to get some backcountry emergency communications capabilities.

Carried a satellite phone for my JMT hike but the bulk and weight was unacceptable to me. Finally decided on an ACR ResQLink PLB for a robust almost failsafe rescue beacon. At all times it is within reach either carried in a shoulder strap pocket on my pack or in a zippered pocket on my person if I drop my pack for a final stalk. Gotta get battery replaced every five years I believe. I send it off to have it done along with various maintenance and testing.

For two way communication I have a DeLorme (now Garmin) Inreach SE. It can be used stand alone or paired with my iPhone for easier typing and editing text messages. I bought my first one new but have bought several used off ebay. Having two is extremely useful for two way texting (where neither person has cell service) between you and your hunting partners or base camp or your packer. My grandson carries one when we hunt or backpack together. My daughter borrows one when she travels to inlaws in Montana from NM due to all the dead spots along the way. If you travel out west it’s probably a good idea to have one in your vehicle whether you hunt or not.

Enjoy your West Texas trip!