Pet Peeve of mine...

OP
R

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
And why are you so important any one should care about pressing your buttons?
Why are you so important to break the law? Should we start poaching too? Its public land, you are taking away access to others by leaving your abandoned camp.

It doesn't matter if its 5 minutes or 45 minutes from me.

OP
R

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Unrelated, but noticed that you are from Kremmling and wanted to say hi! Coldest temperatures I've ever been in were in Kremmling this last January when I went to visit family who recently purchased a home on lake agnes. We went to Kremmling for a trash run and breakfast. I think it was -14, or was it -40, oh hell it doesn't matter it was damn cold lol. Beautiful place and saw more mule deer on the drive back up the 40 that morning than I have ever seen before. Looking into a leftover tag for my 12 y/o son for that area next year.

Anyhow, good luck with those dudes leaving campers for excess amount of time!

Yeah its cold...It was hitting -40 in February for sure, with -10-20 every morning in Jan.

Elkbelch

FNG
I posted a similar topic on 24, very common to see a lone, cheap tent at the better spots. No one there just a cheap pup tent. One fella stated if it was a problem finding a good spot he didn’t want to be there. That’s was a good point but not realistic for me as I travel 714 miles to camp and know the area well. Probably not many places with no traffic and camps

Shawn

Reactions: KOK

sndmn11

WKR
Why are you so important to break the law? Should we start poaching too? Its public land, you are taking away access to others by leaving your abandoned camp.

It doesn't matter if its 5 minutes or 45 minutes from me.

The law of "my buttons have been pushed".

No tent, camper, trailer, tarp, or covered wagon out of the roadway prohibits access.

OP
R

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
The law of "my buttons have been pushed".

No tent, camper, trailer, tarp, or covered wagon out of the roadway prohibits access.

By "my buttons have been pushed law" you mean the actual law regarding 14-day camping restrictions in the same area or a myriad of other laws that are most likely being broken by abandoning your toy to claim a spot?

People use the forest outside of hunting season or "access". Placing your abandoned toys on public land is taking up public resources from others. You are blocking use to that spot that others that would potentially like to use in that moment.

Last edited:
People use the forest outside of hunting season. Placing your abandoned toys on public land is taking up public resources from others.
Exactly you have no actual idea for sure what those people are or are not doing. You are literally making shit up unless every one of them told you.
And ill they have to do is take it down one day and its not breaking the law.

What about all of the ringed trees I see from firewood cutters?
I say ban firewood cutting on public.
Grow your own or buy it from private timber.
Those are my trees to and I don't think a $25 permit covers my share.

OP
R

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
What about all of the ringed trees I see from firewood cutters?
I say ban firewood cutting on public.
Grow your own or buy it from private timber.
Those are my trees to and I don't think a $25 permit covers my share.

Who is cutting green trees? That's against the law. USFS only allows dead trees or deadfall to be harvested on firewood cutting permits in my area, and I assume every other FS land.

1) Clears the forest of dry timber and reduces wildfire fuel
2) Permits provide the underfunded USFS with income
3) Plenty of wood comes from leases from the USFS on public land.

OP
R

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly you have no actual idea for sure what those people are or are not doing. You are literally making shit up unless every one of them told you.

If you walk through the woods in September with a bow and camo, are you hunting? Or should I just use context clues here to make a highly accurate assumption?

sndmn11

WKR
By "my buttons have been pushed law" you mean the actual law regarding 14-day camping restrictions in the same area or a myriad of other laws that are most likely being broken by abandoning your toy to claim a spot?

People use the forest outside of hunting season or "access". Placing your abandoned toys on public land is taking up public resources from others. You are blocking use to that spot that others that would potentially like to use in that moment.

"Other laws most likely being broken". Hypothetical laws inline with your buttons' safe space don't apply.

It is an oxymoron that abandoned property is claiming a space.

I agree, people do use the forest, and BLM ( 😉 ) properties, outside of hunting season. So, why wouldn't they be able to have a camper or tent in those places outside of hunting season? I disagree that an inanimate object lawfully on public property is "taking up public resources" in a manner that is not as intended or available to any other person. If those managers of the public resources determined that camping at X time of year was egregious, they wouldnt allow it or they would hire you to supervise and cite.

If someone is exceeding the 14 day "law", which is a guideline and each office adopts its own regulation whether BLM or USFS, then report them. Simply having a shelter out for anything less is none of your business whether it is occupied or not.

After working for many years with the Forest Service I bet I could find multiple violations in your camp too. Micro Trash is a USFS term for itty bitty pieces of litter. But you’re not bothering me so I don’t care. Like I said I do hate litterbugs. But I’m not calling the cops or burning their tent down. Or losing sleep. Lol

Laramie

WKR
I have some good friends that move camp into their favorite hunting spot about 6 weeks before season. They love the camping spot and use it every weekend leading up to the season. They have multiple campers they move in and out so they aren't breaking the rules. They have been accused and reported numerous times. They have never been cited and now know the local rangers and wardens.

They have never blocked access to anyone and have actually helped others in the area numerous times.

Sometimes things aren't as they seem. I would recommend relaxing a bit and not stressing over where someone sets up a tent or parks a camper. The woods are getting busier and busier and that isn't going away.

grfox92

WKR
It's a huge problem in the Bighorns. They are talking about making a permit required possibly next year to dispersed camp. Then your name and address will be associated with the permit on your camper.

I was once camping in a campround in Shoshone NF. We were actively camping and got friendly with the camp host. I let her know we would be leaving because we were approaching 14 days. She told me not to bother since the campgrounds were not even close to capacity. On the 16th day I had a note from the Forest Service letting me know I outstayed my welcome and needed to move, and I did.

Good to know they are enforcing it there.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
They have to move a minimum distance, it vary’s by the forest but here it is 12 miles.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Others, though, are the “we’re hunting 30 days of archery season or until we kill 4 bulls” crowd.
Or....."I'm hunting the entire archery season or until I kill my bull". It really shouldn't be a big deal if there are empty campsites nearby throughout the season. And if it's so crowded that I think it's a problem that folks have been there over 14 days, then I'm obviously in the wrong spot.