Pics of Custom Seek Outside Packs

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I am just curious what some of the folks with custom packs chose as layouts. I am also curious what people think of the lighter Multicam X-Pac (X-33) fabric over the standard, heavier X-Pac fabric (X-42). I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a SO pack just not sure if its worth dishing out the extra cash for a custom setup. I kinda like the Peregrine 3500 as is.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running a SO for the last 5 seasons in x-33 multicam. I did get two small (BB sized holes) in the fabric which I patched. If buy again I'd get the heavier fabric for standing up to being laid down on rocks and shale up in the mountains. As far as layout I just have the 6300 main bag, talon, top lid, and two (other brand) hip pockets, I do sometimes wish for a pack with more pockets/organization.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Unaweep 4800 and love it. I wouldn’t mind having the full length zipper and the larger pockets that are on the Peregrine and Lanner. I think they look a little better. For these reasons, I’ve thought about buying a custom pack with a similar configuration to the Lanner, but have as an integrated bag.

rj2

WKR
Here's a custom 5400. Little disappointed in the weight as it came about a half pound heavier than expected, but still a great pack.

I got it in x33, no full zipper, lighter style mesh pocket, spectra side pockets, no hydro port, no internal load shelf, small hip belt.

So according to their site, I should come in at least 10oz less than the lanner, and it is only 3oz less than lanner.

20200521_104918.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
Mine is on loan to a friend to train with and compare while I tote around my son on my other Revolution frame. I LOVE the multicam and would order any future packs in it. I cannot speak to durability of that material though because I took delivery of this in April. My other olive packs have had zero issues.

I started with a new style peregrine, my wife uses that now. I also have a sales which is very functional. I chose the custom just for a little added organization.
This is a 5400 bag with the internal shelf. With that size it included an integrated pocket in lid/roll top. I chose the Lanner style pockets do get a dump sleeve and two more pockets. I did a saker zip on my left, and a long draw cord sleeve on my right. My idea there is my water rides on my left, rifle on right in a gun bearer, in the long sleeve I can stuff jacket etc in their sil zipper pouches and fold that into the middle first. I can then cover the opening of that with the snow collar folded down. I do also clip my Merlin on the back, so that gives me a lot of pockets to organize with.
63067.jpeg

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I love X-33. If DP offered X-33 in colors other than Multicam then we would offer it in different colors.

X-33 is lighter than X-42 yet performs slightly better than X-42 in abrasion testing and has the same waterproofness.

X-33 or Spectra will be my go-to's, and I'll probably end up giving the nod to Spectra in a dedicated backpack hunting pack.

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
This is a 5400 bag with the internal shelf. With that size it included an integrated pocket in lid/roll top. I chose the Lanner style pockets do get a dump sleeve and two more pockets. I did a saker zip on my left, and a long draw cord sleeve on my right.

How has this configuration worked for you? Do you find it runs well for day trips/ scouting/ etc? I'm thinking of the exact same set up in spectra. Coming from the Peregrine, so pretty familiar, but like the idea of the hydration bladder in the size zip pocket.

Rokwiia

WKR
I ordered a SO Gila which should be arriving today. I chose X-21 and looking forward to how it performs.

The "fun" part is that we can order a custom bag which can be used for a different purpose than the original backpack bag. Swap them out as needed.

I really like the look of the camo (rj2's setup) and having a tall and short pocket. The short pocket allows access to fluid on the fly and the tall pocket provides good storage or a place to put a tent. I am tempted to order this exact bag but with camo pockets.

Last edited:

DJF3864

FNG
Here's a custom 5400. Little disappointed in the weight as it came about a half pound heavier than expected, but still a great pack.

I got it in x33, no full zipper, lighter style mesh pocket, spectra side pockets, no hydro port, no internal load shelf, small hip belt.

So according to their site, I should come in at least 10oz less than the lanner, and it is only 3oz less than lanner.

View attachment 185708
Nice looking bag

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
X-33 or Spectra will be my go-to's, and I'll probably end up giving the nod to Spectra in a dedicated backpack hunting pack.
Nathan - after some more time with Spectra would you still go that direction vs X-33? I understand the trade offs on paper (Xpac is more waterproof, Spectra is lighter and more abrasion resistant) but wondering if you've noticed any downsides or issues with the Spectra packs that have seen some hard use?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll answer ..
There has been some delamination on the SpectraGrid , mainly on the back panel (user side) from interior abrasion on integrated packs, near the cross stay. Xpac occasionally can delam a little bit, but not from interior abrasion and it appears to happen less and when Xpac has it has been closer to the roll top. Most Delam has been slight little spots that would NOT concern me much as a user. As such, we have started to use Cordura on the wearer side of the Custom Integrated SpectraGrid packs. Cordura, will add a small amount of weight, a be a little harder for blood clean up BUT it looks sharp, and frankly we have never had a failure in the application so it's a case of going tried and true . X33 is a fine fabric, SpectraGridHT is a really fine fabric as well and is lighter for the majority of uses. I'll probably keep running SpectraGrid myself. Of current fabrics, my second choice would be the X33. If I had a full woven spectra with an Xpac coating it would become my number one choice but that is not really available in neutral colors.

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Kevin, super helpful and makes a lot of sense.

Because I am looking at an integrated bag and just so I understand you correctly, is the Cordura on the wearer side just a piece of fabric on the inside of the packbag, or is the entire panel of the bag Cordura? Not worried about the little extra weight if it makes it more durable, but would be worried about losing waterproofing.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Kevin, super helpful and makes a lot of sense.

Because I am looking at an integrated bag and just so I understand you correctly, is the Cordura on the wearer side just a piece of fabric on the inside of the packbag, or is the entire panel of the bag Cordura? Not worried about the little extra weight if it makes it more durable, but would be worried about losing waterproofing.
It is the entire wearer side .. we have not had any durability issue with SpectraGrid BUT we said why not just go with what we have never had an issue. Less waterproof wearer side for sure. Likely not a big issue is real world use and upright walking but could be an issue in certain instances.

gexpro

WKR
One feature I noticed and grew to like was a design KUIU did to the LT series bags and went with a "waterproof" 330D Cordura back and bottom.. looks slick and performed very well for me last season. i packed out my mule deer in "load sling" mode and had zero blood saturation on the back panel. Might be something worth taking a look at..

I have pretty high confidence the SO pack will be a great replacement for me based on all of the testimonies.. there are numerous features I can already see are going to be great for my application versus the other brands i have tried/used.

Last edited:

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
It is the entire wearer side .. we have not had any durability issue with SpectraGrid BUT we said why not just go with what we have never had an issue. Less waterproof wearer side for sure. Likely not a big issue is real world use and upright walking but could be an issue in certain instances.

Got it, though the waterproofing may change my thinking a little bit. Would an Xpac panel be an option? I'll give you guys a call on Monday to discuss. Thanks again for the help on here.

Rokwiia

WKR
For use as the material for an entire custom bag, is SpectraGridHT lighter than X-21?

People who've used X-33 seem to love it. Why is it more preferred than X-21 which is lighter?