Pics of wood and blues steel rifles

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
What are your thoughts on Richards microfit stocks I have heard they are rough but they have good quality wood and I wouldn’t have to work really hard on the action inlet.
It will still need the inlet cleaned up. It will be a 85% drop in. The finish is very rough and will take alot of sanding and some shaping. I bought one for my marlin 25mn. I wourked on it for a month when I could and dropped it off with my stock guy to finish. It ended up costing $600. After seeing how much work it actually was I'll pass on a second round.

Wapiti1

WKR
Tough to beat nice wood! A few I’ll share that I have photos handy of

This was my first hunting rifle, my grandad built it for me when I was 7. M96 chambered in 6.5x55 BJAI

View attachment 301059

Another he built for an African hunt, and followed by many moose and bears. Chambered in .458 WM. It has an old model 70 steel butplate, I intend on replacing with a recoil pad.

View attachment 301065
View attachment 301066View attachment 301060

Following grandads footsteps, 20 years later, I decided to get into stock building.

My first was on my long past grandmothers pre 64 .375 h&h, by far my favourite hunting rifle.
View attachment 301063View attachment 301064

My second, was a restock for a good friends 30-06

View attachment 301061View attachment 301062

I’ll add a few more once I have time. Looking forward to seeing some nice walnut in here!!
G&H cheekpiece on that last one is nice. Great looking rifles.

Jeremy

netman

WKR
C968FE36-4BCC-4447-8338-76E8EC5A0D83.jpeg
My old Sako L61 four digit serial number in 264 Win Mag. It has the 26” barrel. Scare as a hens tooth. I traded for it a few years ago. It was never fired but had sat in a safe since the early 60’s.
It’s my go to deer rifle and was the rifle I shot the bull elk with right before my heart stopped beating.
It’s killed several hogs, deer, javelina and elk.
The picture is from deer hunting in the swamps of Louisiana this past season.
Shoots 140 Partitions into small groups.

I stumbled across this 1959 Savage 110 that was originally in '06. Right away, I knew it was the best looking Savage rifle I'd ever seen. The '06 barrel was shot out, and I'm not an '06 fan to begin with, so I had a 7x57 barrel made for it. While I waited on the barrel, I tore the trigger guts out and figured out how to make a Timney trigger work in it (they will tell you that you can't put an aftermarket trigger in pre-68 Savages, but with some work and ingenuity, you can).

Darn thing weighs only 6 1/4 lbs. bare and 7 lbs. 3 oz. scoped. Because I love the vintage look of this thing, I think I'm going to install a banded front sight and rear aperture sight and just hunt it with irons. One thing about these old Chicopee Falls Savage 110's, they slurp up rounds and feed smoother than damn near any rifle I've ever handled. The 7x57 cartridges practically feed themselves.

IMG_0634.JPGIMG_0635.JPGIMG_0633.JPG

Wapiti1

WKR
Third rifle that I built and the second that I stocked from a blank. Done in 2003. VZ24 Mauser action, 24" Lothar Walther barrel chambered in 9.3X64 Brenneke, 2 position Wisner safety installed in the military bolt shroud, Mark X bottom metal, Dayton Traister trigger, and a Biesen steel grip cap. Rust blued. Absolute tack driver, and very easy to shoot. One of my favorite rifles.

I stocked it in a nice piece of bastogne walnut that I got from Cecil Fredi. I checkered it shortly after the photo was taken with a simple point pattern in 20 lpi. It turned out decent, but I learned that I should not sell checkering services. Of the 30 odd stocks that I've made since, one has been checkered by me. The rest went to real professionals. If you know stocks and look closely, I drilled the crossbolt 1/4" too low. It's close enough, and does the job, but still bugs me.

9.6x64 rear small.jpg

Jeremy

Winchester 94 30-30 manufactured between 1905-06. Based on serial number.

X4nGI1W.jpg

ZvHv3PM.jpg

Old Marble #6 front sight

dqm923U.jpg

Jd4DxSa.jpg

jvWf150.jpg

LTDwEA9.jpg

This old gun belongs to my dad. We have a handful between us, but this is hands down my favorite centerfire levergun when it comes to cool factor.

gbflyer

WKR
Third rifle that I built and the second that I stocked from a blank. Done in 2003. VZ24 Mauser action, 24" Lothar Walther barrel chambered in 9.3X64 Brenneke, 2 position Wisner safety installed in the military bolt shroud, Mark X bottom metal, Dayton Traister trigger, and a Biesen steel grip cap. Rust blued. Absolute tack driver, and very easy to shoot. One of my favorite rifles.

I stocked it in a nice piece of bastogne walnut that I got from Cecil Fredi. I checkered it shortly after the photo was taken with a simple point pattern in 20 lpi. It turned out decent, but I learned that I should not sell checkering services. Of the 30 odd stocks that I've made since, one has been checkered by me. The rest went to real professionals. If you know stocks and look closely, I drilled the crossbolt 1/4" too low. It's close enough, and does the job, but still bugs me.

View attachment 303370

Jeremy

Nice work and an excellent cartridge. I am caretaking one an old friend built on a Ruger 77.

RMP

FNG
Winchester 1894 Short Rifle .30-30
PRYqI1k.jpg

Winchester 1892 in .44 Magnum
hOhnq1r.jpg

Winchester 1886 Extra Light .45-70
l6UTv8P.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo
OP
T
bump to what could be the single greatest thread for beautiful wood stocked rifles with some real soul to them and you guys with stainless guns don’t be bashful let’s see those too

Tough to beat nice wood! A few I’ll share that I have photos handy of

This was my first hunting rifle, my grandad built it for me when I was 7. M96 chambered in 6.5x55 BJAI

View attachment 301059

Another he built for an African hunt, and followed by many moose and bears. Chambered in .458 WM. It has an old model 70 steel butplate, I intend on replacing with a recoil pad.

View attachment 301065
View attachment 301066View attachment 301060

Following grandads footsteps, 20 years later, I decided to get into stock building.

My first was on my long past grandmothers pre 64 .375 h&h, by far my favourite hunting rifle.
View attachment 301063View attachment 301064

My second, was a restock for a good friends 30-06

View attachment 301061View attachment 301062

I’ll add a few more once I have time. Looking forward to seeing some nice walnut in here!!
Where did you get your BJAI dies? Looking to build one myself but can't seem to find dies.