Pistol Reloaders - Help Me Out - 9mm/10mm

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
It comes into stock in batches, and periodically. All online. You have to be ready to go when you see it. I was even able to buy a bunch of stuff I didn't personally need, but then sell locally at cost after trading for other stuff I needed.

CLB38

FNG
I'm going to hold off on buying more powder until I find everything else as I have at least enough to do a little testing.

Have primers, shellholders, and dies either here or on the way. So, brass and bullets.

Anyone know of a good bulk 9mm/10mm bullet and brass source? Or just keep watching and grab whatever I can when it comes in stock?
I just got some Starline brass for 9mm and 10mm. I thought price was ok and should get numerous reloads out of it. Site has always said backordered, but both of my recent orders shipped quickly. They ship here but required sending them copy of LTC.

xtreme bullets (124 fmj) have worked well for me in 9mm, and they ship here too.

Cutknife

FNG
As someone mentioned earlier SNS coated bullets, they work well for me and are available.

FLS

WKR
I load a lot of 9mm. 5-7 K a year.
The majority are 124 JHPs. 4.0 grains of Titegroup , lit with a Federal SPP shoots extremely well out of every 9mm I own. I also use Titegroup in my .40s and .45s.
I’ve shot several thousand plated (Xtreme) and coated ( Blue Bullets) as well. Don’t overcrimp the plated bullets. They’re very soft, you’ll hourglass the bullet and your accuracy will suffer. Same with coated bullets. You’ll cut the coating and it will come off when fired. Just enough crimp to remove the flare. I’ve never used one of the factory crimp dies and I load for some tight chambered 1911s and 2011s. If you have feed issues, and you’ve removed the flare it’s usually a length issue. Too long or too short. Google how to do the “plunk“ test if you haven’t already.
I buy once fired brass from a local indoor range and bullets direct from the manufacturer. Everglades ammo usually has some sort of 9mm in stock and they ship quick.

Last edited:
OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Kicking this back to the top.

Managed to get into 10# of Titegroup, which is more than I need. One of those scenarios where I bought what I could get.

(Clarifying for the mod who deleted my question - this is not a sale or offer to trade here)

If I have the opportunity to trade locally for something like CFE Pistol or another powder, would you? Or, Just use Titegroup? Ideal scenario is that I have a powder that works for 9mm, 10mm, and lightweight .44 mag loads (329 PD) but I could use Titegroup or other for 9mm/10mm and I have 2-3# of unique which I've been told works well for lightweight.44 in the 329PD.

Any concerns for the dense loading nature of Titegroup? In all my rifle reloading I think I've accidentally tried to double charge one case, and caught it. Loading on a Redding T7, not a progressive.

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
I wouldn’t trade it for anything. 10# of Titrgroup will last a long time. It’s an excellent powder for 9mm, .40, and .45. I’ve loaded tens of thousands of rounds with it and haven’t blown anything up. I’d wager at least 50% of the thousands of USPSA and IDPA shooters are loading with Titegroup or a similar powder and now blowing themselves or their guns up That’s thousands of folks shooting millions of rounds a year. Pay attention to what you are doing and you will be fine. Take about half what you read on gun and reloading forums as fact. Some folks see danger everywhere they look and just regurgitate the same internet bullshit over and over. And it will work fine in 44special and magnum. You won’t get top velocity in the magnums but it will work.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
If memory serves me, unique shoots good but is very dirty? Something I always do is after I’ve found my load is to keep one of the rounds in the clip or magazine and check for movement. Never had any move but it was a tip provided and I follow it.

TheGDog

WKR
To check for movement do you measure from top of case to top of projectile? Or do you just like dab some sharpie at the crimp line and visually inspect for movement after firing?

Anybody know who might have CFE Pistol ATM? Been wanting to get some as it looks like it'll work for about 4 of the cartridges that I need to do lead-free for. My book has listings for those for Barnes XPB's.

TheGDog

WKR
QUESTION: For the shorter barrel scenario I have with a G29, it should stand to reason that a powder which burns more on the faster side would likely be able to give me best velocities possible out fo that 3.78" barrel right?

Among the ones people normally consider for 10mm, is there a particular one whose burn rate is on the faster side of things in this range of powder types and therefore perhaps be a slightly better choice for these more compact models?

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried the route of one powder for a couple calibers. It works ok. I wouldn’t get too wrapped up searching for velocity out of a 4 inch barrel. I’d find something that lets you get some shooting done. In my opinion, practice with the pistol is going to way outweigh extreme reloading practices when it comes to pistols.

TheGDog

WKR
I have tried the route of one powder for a couple calibers. It works ok. I wouldn’t get too wrapped up searching for velocity out of a 4 inch barrel. I’d find something that lets you get some shooting done. In my opinion, practice with the pistol is going to way outweigh extreme reloading practices when it comes to pistols.
Roger that. Well... among the powders commonly brought up for 10mm... which creates the least amount of muzzle flash? Cause on that G29 it is quite the sight to behold, hehe.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
What size bullet are you using? I have the Hornady reload app showing 10 mm auto with 5” barrel. Probably get you in the ball park

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I see accurate #5 listed. It’s not the fastest for the 5” and pressures out early. I had good luck with accurate powders burning clean and consistent in my pistols . The higher pressure might serve well for the action as long as you stay safe. It’s showing blue dot as the fastest, I’ve heard good things but no personal experience. I would just try to stay with cleaner powders and shoot the crap out of it till you can hit what you’re aiming at. Glock makes a good accurate gun in the right hands

TheGDog

WKR
I see accurate #5 listed. It’s not the fastest for the 5” and pressures out early. I had good luck with accurate powders burning clean and consistent in my pistols . The higher pressure might serve well for the action as long as you stay safe. It’s showing blue dot as the fastest, I’ve heard good things but no personal experience. I would just try to stay with cleaner powders and shoot the crap out of it till you can hit what you’re aiming at. Glock makes a good accurate gun in the right hands
Oh yeah it's nice and accurate. Once you get you under control in terms of firing that compact pistol.

I seem to recall them saying on a message thread that bluedot had a lot of flash and that made it "fun" for at the range, but wasn't the cleanest burning.

ATM I have 140gr Barnes TAC-XP's for it. I want to get LeHigh's Xtreme Hunters or Penetrators but they've been backordered like forever.

In the Modern Reloading LEE 2nd Edition it shows CFE PISTOL and HS6 as getting the highest velocities, but I wonder in what barrel length though? Got me to thinking I wonder if for these shorter barrels a person might be able to use powders that you wouldn't normally use in regular length barrels due to over pressuring since longer burn times? But that if the burn rate was on the fastest side of the spectrum it might help the smaller barrels make up some of the velocity lost by the barrel being shorter?

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Purely from internet research on loads for my own 10mm, Longshot and AA#9 are frequently referenced as great in the 10mm autos. Check out the 10mm-firearms.com forum for all kinds of info.

TheGDog

WKR
Here’s a screenshot ( maybe lol) of 155’s
Hrmm... that seems a bit high on the Win231.

I have some of that since I also have the .380acp. But in this manual for 10mm for the 140gr Barnes they list "Never Exceed" as 6.2gr w/ max vel of 1211fps and 35300psi. So at 8.0gr that seems like a significant increase in powder, no?