Places near Wilmington

Jmort1754

WKR
We went to Wilmington last summer and the SO loved it.

We are going again, however I would like to find a different place to stay. Any of y'all have input on places near the ocean to stay>?

wavygravy

FNG
Bald Head Island - Golf carts only island, only accessible by ferry. It's spendy and a PITA to get there but I LOOOOVVVEEEE that place if you're just trying to relax on the beach. It's where weekend at Bernies was filmed which is always fun.

def90

WKR
Where did you stay last time and what are you looking for? Cheap, quiet beaches, good dining options, night life, house vs condo, and so on?

fatlander

WKR
While not on the directly ocean, Beaufort NC is on of my favorite towns on the east coast. Just around the corner from Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
Topsail, Bald Head would probably be my top two recommendations as well, but all those small areas around Wilmington have become really popular, and building everywhere. Oak Island, Kure Beach, Carolina Beach all offer somewhat different crowds. I usually frequent the coast a bit further north, but anytime I do go that far south I usually end up on the Ferry to Cape Lookout Island National Seashore, and then head for the north end of the island. It’s the closest North Carolina has to offer to giving you the feeling like you’re at the end of the world. I typically catch the ferry just out of Beaufort, NC. As mentioned above, Beaufort is a nice little place. From Beaufort there is usually a high speed boat service that will bring you to a few of the islands off the coast there one being Cape Lookout. Another being Sand Dollar island which is basically a huge sandbar you’ll find sand dollars and conchs. I can’t remember the other islands they bring you to, but I think you stay for two hours each island or something like that. Then when you land back in town that evening hit up any of there spots to eat then check out Blackbeards House, and go on the Ghostwalk tour around town. Pretty cool.

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
The Crystal Coast (Beaufort, Morehead, Atlantic beach, Emerald Isle) is the hidden gem of the east coast. tons of secluded barrier islands you can get to by ferry from Beaufort. You can stay on Atlantic beach and be downtown Morehead in 5min or Beaufort in 10-15min, Airbnb or local rental company will be your best bet. The amount of really good restaurants per capita rivals any big city. Gets very crowded in peak season FYI, I would recommend going before school gets out or waiting till the fall.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Where did you stay last time and what are you looking for? Cheap, quiet beaches, good dining options, night life, house vs condo, and so on?
We stayed just off the cape fear and while it was nice, she wants beach access and a house/condo preferably.

Dining is ok, she loves the blue water grill in wrightsville.

Night life is non existent our 8 month old will be with us.

ODB

WKR
Topsail, Bald Head would probably be my top two recommendations as well, but all those small areas around Wilmington have become really popular, and building everywhere. Oak Island, Kure Beach, Carolina Beach all offer somewhat different crowds. I usually frequent the coast a bit further north, but anytime I do go that far south I usually end up on the Ferry to Cape Lookout Island National Seashore, and then head for the north end of the island. It’s the closest North Carolina has to offer to giving you the feeling like you’re at the end of the world. I typically catch the ferry just out of Beaufort, NC. As mentioned above, Beaufort is a nice little place. From Beaufort there is usually a high speed boat service that will bring you to a few of the islands off the coast there one being Cape Lookout. Another being Sand Dollar island which is basically a huge sandbar you’ll find sand dollars and conchs. I can’t remember the other islands they bring you to, but I think you stay for two hours each island or something like that. Then when you land back in town that evening hit up any of there spots to eat then check out Blackbeards House, and go on the Ghostwalk tour around town. Pretty cool.

I used to live on Oak Island in the late 90s while I was writing a book. My brother was assistant superintendent on Bald Head.

Times have certainly changed since then.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Topsail Island is our go to for NC. Wide beaches, decent fishing, old cottages with some McMansions mixed in.
Surf City is a good spot, especially if you want a slow, calm beach experience. Best part is there are no corporate chains there, it’s all mom and pop stores or local chains.

Jauwater

WKR
I used to live on Oak Island in the late 90s while I was writing a book. My brother was assistant superintendent on Bald Head.

Times have certainly changed since then.

I was moving my niece into their new place in Wilmington last weekend, and it’s only been a couple years since I’ve been there, and I was blown away with the amount of growth just since my last visit. Drove over to see some friends in Oak Island, and I was blown away again. It’s not really my kinda place anymore, but it’s really popular among the young crowd these days. I’m only 39, and see the appeal, but I go to the coast to fish so I don’t spend much time in the popular spots.

ODB

WKR
I was moving my niece into their new place in Wilmington last weekend, and it’s only been a couple years since I’ve been there, and I was blown away with the amount of growth just since my last visit. Drove over to see some friends in Oak Island, and I was blown away again. It’s not really my kinda place anymore, but it’s really popular among the young crowd these days. I’m only 39, and see the appeal, but I go to the coast to fish so I don’t spend much time in the popular spots.

Yup. I used to live in the back parking lot of what is now the Pepperoni Grill at the Beach. There were three little concrete block cottages - they are all gone now. None of the multi-story houses were there. Back then the Pepperoni was called the Cabana Cafe and I remember it not opening one year because the previous year had so few visitors they couldn’t justify another lost year of revenue so they just shut down. Can you image that? Crazy.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR

I am going down to fish and the beach, I give zero shits about night life. I am 38, she is 30 and gives zero fs about it either.

We really enjoy Atlantic beach and Emerald beach. Emerald is a little gem. Really off the radar for most people. Low key. Clean and fairly quiet. beaches are as nice as any in the area. We rented boats for fishing and sharks tooth hunting. Both were a blast.

highcj5

Lil-Rokslider
Like some others have suggested. I would choose Topsail Island. I used to go to Wrightsville beach all the time, but now it has gotten so crowded. We usually rent a house on topsail and have really enjoyed that. Good restaurants and fishing. A lot more laid back than Wrightsville.
My younger days we liked to go surfing and hit the bars on Wrightsville. But in my older age those times have changed. Still do a couple long weekends every year there but I’m starting like topsail more. The prices of rentals has really skyrocketed as well. Even Carolina Beach prices have jumped up.
Surf City in the middle of topsail island would be a good choice. Has enough to do to keep you busy and entertained but has a laid back vibe to it. Good restaurants and shopping. If you wanted to drive down to Wilmington 1 day. It’s only like a 35 minute drive, if the traffic is not bad.

There a ton of Airbnbs available in the Wrightsville beach area.

I stayed in one last fall, it was 3 houses back from the beach. 1 minute walk to direct beach access. We paid $125/night (including cleaning fees). 2br 1.5 bathroom, full kitchen.

Stayed in an Airbnb in Emerald Isle recently as well. It was across the street from the beach but still less than 5 minute walk. Paid something like $75/night for it.