Planning my first elk hunt (Colorado)

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Went on an 8 mile round trip hike yesterday. Just made me realize that I'm out of shape and need to work on my fitness. I don't exercise a bit except for doing stuff around the house which hardly qualifies. I've just never been a fan of working out, going to the gym, etc. I'm hoping that going on this hunt (hopefully making it an annual thing) will be enough to keep me motivated year round.

Anyway, this spot is not far from my house... maybe 30 minutes. I had my 20 some pound 15 month old on my back so that was good practice. Elevation up there was just a little over 3,000 feet. About the best I can do to prepare myself for the high altitude of CO.

rarase8u.jpg

4uru9ugy.jpg

4yzuqa9a.jpg

ymydezej.jpg

Shrek

WKR
Montana in late October and November. It's draw for me is that it's late and the season is long. I also get the combo elk and deer general tag so I have options. Season runs the last week of October through all of November. If you punch a clock and have a short and defined vacation then Colorado is great but Montana is great if you can take lots of time off. I work for myself so I can take all the time I can pay myself for.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I have a feeling I may be in the same boat in 2015. My buddy said he'd go, but I'm not convinced he actually will. I've been making the plans on going alone and if he goes, it's just a bonus. My plan is to draw a tag for first rifle season in a unit that has had 100% success rate for the draw the past 5+ years.

I've done my fair share of driving long distances (NY to FL, NY to NC), but from NY to CO is a haul. If you can find someone to go with you, it will make the drive WAY better. Someone to switch with every couple hours and keep you entertained while you are driving will be nice. If you end up driving by yourself, make sure you pull over if you get tired. Take a nap at a rest stop, then continue on once you aren't tired anymore.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing. I'll be interested in what happens, as I'll be making the trip a few weeks after you.
Yep, that's the way I feel. Hopefully my buddy will still be able to join me but he did give me a heads up that it's a possibility that he might not make it. I appreciated the advanced notice.

I did forget to mention earlier that a group of guys I've "known" for several years on another forum said I could join them if I ever wanted to at their elk camp. Might take them up on it.

Shrek

WKR
Finch , that's a great place to train ! If you are worried about fitness and high altitude then the other states have a bunch of elk hunting under 8000' . As an out of shape flatlander I can tell you that the 8000' mark is where I had trouble. Might look at Wyoming , Montana , and Idaho. Idaho has some great seasons and their tags are a relative bargain. In Idaho you could hunt with an elk , deer and bear tag in your pocket for a little over a grand. That's a deal to me and it's probably in my plans for next year. Almost the whole place is under 8000' and ranges from arid in the south to soaking wet jungle in the north.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
That's the thing, I'm not going to know if I'll have issues with the altitude or not. I hear arriving there and getting acclimated (not hunting for a day) is the way to go.

jljmonky

FNG
I haven't read the entire thread but I will say this about the altitude. We drove out from Illinois last year, out first trip as well. On the way through the passes the surplus blow up pad being used as a bed in the back seat blew out a seam from the pressure changes. We hiked two miles in and then up another mile and gained just shy of 1,000 feet. Holy crap. Completely drained us. We are three stubborn former infantrymen, doing stupid stuff for fun is kind of a past time, not knowing when to quit without getting hurt is a prerequisite... We hunted Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. I took a break Sunday afternoon, hunted again all day Monday, one guy took the morning off Tuesday morning, legs and lungs needed a break, all of us took a break on Wednesday. At home, all of us were in really good shape, at altitude we were pansies.

I have already started packing too much weight this week to prep for it, which I didn't do enough of last year. There really is no work out to prep for the change in the air, so just get as strong as you can and EMBRACE THE SUCK!

Shrek

WKR
Or look for an area to hunt that you don't park your truck at 9000' and start climbing. Find an area that you park at 4000' and top out at 8000'. Lots of great elk hunting to be had without climbing to the top of the world. Setting yourself up to struggle isn't a great plan imo. I'm certainly not going anywhere too high.

no, you are not crazy. you have plenty of time. go backpack on the Appalachian Trail and check all your systems but you'll probably be sucking for air when you get here the way I did. HYOH and have a great hunt!, BB

dotman

WKR
Nothing will prepare you for the altitude, you just have to do it. I have hunted ID, MT and CO and by far I enjoy being up around 11k the most while hunting, just something about it. I haven't read the entire thread so this may of already been stated but I see no reason not to go solo, it is an amazing test of yourself mentally, while having a partner is fun it is a completely diff experience. Get a spot or inreach to keep your mind and wife at ease also I have yet to not get a cell signal way up high in CO. Just play it smart and trust/follow your instincts, test out all your gear way before hand so that you do not run into issues and the rest will be mental. Get in as good of shape as you can but also realize you need to know your personal pace so you don't burn yourself out in a few days, this will also be a mental hurdle to get over.

I enjoy the drive, made a drive to ID's panhandle last year, 26hrs solo and drive 13hrs straight to my parents place in CO a few times a year. I highly recommend books on CD, makes any drive that much better especially when the scenery sucks. If you go thru Council Bluffs, NE obey the speed limit or you'll get a ticket in the mail for $160 which sucks, damn speed trap cameras. Always take extra cash for the unknown.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks guys, a lot of good tips. I do plan on making use of the AT a lot for the physical aspect and also testing my gear and becoming familiar with it.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
You can find places online that rent these units. I've been looking at renting a Spot next year.
I was planning on renting a Sat phone. I'll check into the spots though. It's my understanding you can now actually send custom messages, just not the "I'm okay".

DWinVA

WKR
Donnie-

Nice picture of McAfee. I'm down the road from you just outside of Christiansburg, VA.

After dreaming and researching for years I finally have an archery elk hunt setup for the fall of 2015. My cousin is going with me and as of now we plan on flying but may still decide to drive. I learned a lot (and still learning) of valuable information on this site.

As far as altitude I think being in the best possible shape you can be in helps tremendously. Three years ago my wife and I took a summer road trip to Durango, CO and I was in marathon shape then. I did some trail running at 8,000+ and didn't have any issues.

Good luck with the training and preparing....it's part of the fun and excitement of going.

God Bless.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Awesome! If you don't mind me asking (and I don't need specifics) but which part of CO will you guys be hunting? A coworker recommended Kremmling to me but I think that's the only area he's been to. He stayed in a motel and drove 45 mins up the mountain each day. I still plan on hunting/camping but having a motel close by is a good idea, I think. A hot shower and meal would go a long way when feeling down. Really haven't started my reaseach on which unit I want to hunt. Hell, I'm having a hard enough time choosing sleeping bags and other items. I dread when I have to start looking at which unit to hunt!

What are you guys planning for this hunt? Living out of your packs?

Dang finch didn't realize you was near me. I'm just a little further west near Marion. Mount Rogers is my back yard. It's at 5700 feet so it's a good place to work out. Once you go out west you will be hooked.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Dang finch didn't realize you was near me. I'm just a little further west near Marion. Mount Rogers is my back yard. It's at 5700 feet so it's a good place to work out. Once you go out west you will be hooked.
Nice, not too far away. I've already told the wife to expect this to be an annual trip for me. :) Glad she's so understanding.

shvlhdjim

FNG
Get In shape eat well and hydrate you'll be good for colorado. There are plenty of people here in Colorado that don't do the above and suffer more than most who prepare even though they do live at altitude. Just my 2 cents