Plantar Fasciitis Steroid Injection

Kilboars

WKR
yeah, unfortunately, been sleeping with them for some time. i think i'm an outlier with PF. with my work, i'm lucky in regards to having a variety of doctors/therapists so i have had a lot of people working on it for the last year and half. After the steroid shot not working, i think they have 2 options left. i go back Tuesday to discuss next steps. i believe one option we are going to discuss is "another shot" it wont be a steroid, but something different. Maybe t he dry needling mentioned above? Not sure. There is also discussion about surgery where they go in and cut it, but they say less than 1% actually need this. looking forward to Tuesday to see whats next...

Wow. That’s serious. I guess I’m lucky the sock worked for me.

I’ve heard of the band snapping in people’s feet with PF and basically the pain was all gone and the only downside was that they could never be distance runners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
No injection here. Nothing worked until I began taping my foot using Leukotape. I'd wear it 24/7 and the pain from my PF finally began to dissipate.

Good luck.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
My wife had it very bad for years. What worked for her is a combination of wearing hiking boots with a soft, supportive insole all the time.....when standing (and I do mean all the time) and the rolling the foot on a ball thing. I think the support allowed time for healing, otherwise she was re-injuring all the time. Now 2 years with no flair up and she is hard to keep up with again.

ChrisAU

WKR
Wow. That’s serious. I guess I’m lucky the sock worked for me.

I’ve heard of the band snapping in people’s feet with PF and basically the pain was all gone and the only downside was that they could never be distance runners.

I asked my doc what would happen if I just did my best to ignore the pain and inflammation and eventually tore it. He said that's what he'd essentially do if we did surgery - cut it. I asked if I would lose mobility, he said no. But he said that still leaves so much scar tissue that roughly 75% of people who have surgery still have pain in the area.

I have tried the night split and the strassburg sock and I just can't sleep in them because they put too much pressure on my toes, I'm pretty sure I'd lose my toes if I were to fall asleep with on of them on ha.

I think I'm going to get a cast put on this week. Wear it for 4 weeks. My doc says its 80% effective. I'm just worried about my legs getting weak, but I'm betting on slightly weakened legs being the lessor evil on the mountain in October vs debilitating heel pain with a heavy pack on.

socoalt

WKR
Certainty not an approach for everyone, and not going to help you for hunting this year, but some people respond really well to slowly working into barefoot style shoes. Several years ago I started to get PF pain really bad. I started a slow transition into new balance minimal shoes, Merrill trail gloves, vivobarefoots,.. after 6 months or so of working out, walking and running "barefoot", I now have zero pain. This approach is not for everyone, and is dependent on how much damage you currently have. Another side effect of going this route is that once your feet build up to support your body more naturally, you'll probably never be able to or want to wear shoes or boots with lots of support. Again though, it is something that worked for me, but I realize it's not going solve this problem for everyone.

I second this. I got the same shoes and now that is all i wear, no problems with pf for anymore. There are others on here saying that they did the exact opposite as me and got soft insoles and wear shoes all the time. You cant argue with what works for people. I would suggest trying the opposite of what you are used to doing. If you have always worn supportive shoes and high end insoles then try going barefoot more and try minimalist shoes. I can tell you that they do take some getting used to and you will be sore for a month or two in them. At this point it couldn't hurt

smcnellis

FNG
Wearing the night brace got rid of mine. I also switched to Salomon speed cross for all running and hiking without load. With load I wear Crispi and no longer have a problem. If it flares up, I immediately stretch it. Rucking more helped as well. Never had it in the Army, got out and it appeared. Put the ruck back on and bam, gone. Cursed :).

whoop

FNG
I went with a pair of Hoka one one trail running shoes. Supplemented with an occasional use of a small vase to roll my feet on while in the easy chair. All issues disappeared in three to four months.

ChrisAU

WKR
Played two games of church league softball last night, can barely walk today. Experimenting with my stiff hunting boots (Scarpa Gran Dru's) today to see how much support they give.

Cast goes on Monday :(

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that sucks :(

here's my success story

the Saturday before last (6/22) during a long run I thought I fractured my heel I was in so much pain, self diagnosed it as PF and went on a 4-5 times a day stretching/rolling (including calves)/icing regime- the pain gradually subsided and after 4 days was able to go on a couple of 4-ish mile hikes w/o much issue; Saturday (6/29) I was able to complete a tough 10-ish mile loop in the mountains w/ just a few reminders of PF. I'm now stretching/rolling/occasionally icing twice a day now and feel I'm well on my way of ridding myself of this.

Listen guys, buy one of these socks today and your PF will be cured in 1-3 weeks.

I thought it was a crazy gimmick, but after having PF for a few months and a couple of visits to the podiatrist, the Strasberg sock worked for me.

Since then, stretching after running has kept it away.

I definitely feel for y’all that haven’t found relief yet. It’s miserable.

ChrisAU

WKR
Cast is on...countdown has begun.

Cast is off...foot feels better but most muscles in my left foot and leg get sore quickly if I sit down for an extended period of time and then move. Guess that is to be expected. Doc says we will know in a week if its gone. Continuing to stretch and ice like its my job.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
mine has flared back up, but knowing what is, makes much more manageable

~60 miles in two days (in the mountains!) will tend to flare up nagging issues :)

RMac5

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had it on/off for years. It’s been dormant for 2-3 years now. The two biggest things that I feel like helped me the most were a quality shoe/boot with great arch support. If the supports have any flex I won’t use them, they have to keep the arch supported. The second thing is, you or I had to stretch the arch and leg before you ever walk away from the bed in the morning. When you get up, do not leave the bed before you stretch. I had it in both feet at the same time for years, and now I haven’t had it in a long time. Check your boots and shoes to make sure they have a high arch support. Just because they are expensive doesn’t mean they have good support.

Didn’t expect to see a post about this on here but glad I did. Lots of good info. I been dealing with this in one foot for the last several months. Want to get better before season starts.