Plate carrier and helmet? Practical?

Sadler

WKR
Since Trumps running in 2024 it wouldn’t be a bad idea. You just never know when a mostly peaceful protest will kick off in your area.

I’d recommend a ferro concepts slickster setup with swimmer cut plates to aid in mobility. Run your mags on your belt and keep everything off your chest.

*zap*

WKR
best thing when using a plate carrier is to put on a separate vest to keep you mags/gear in....in case you need to dump the vest and skedaddle.

def90

WKR
I use a minimalist carrier with contoured plates, I can put it on under a flannel and you would never know if you didn't know what to look for. I then use a separate battle belt or chest rig depending on what I'm using it for.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen AR500 mentioned in this thread, it's worth the PSA that AR500 plates don't offer any protection from spalling. You see this when shooting an AR500 target, the bullet splash chews up the target hanger, the earth below, and anything else in the area. Taking a round to an Ar500 plate is still preferable to taking a round to the chest, but I'm not so sure I'd want to keep living after receiving bullet splash to the groin and face. You can apparently mitigate this by spraying the plate with truck bed liner. I think if you feel you need plates, it's worth spending extra for ceramics.

For those of you who own plate carriers and a grip of tactical gear, how often are you practicing/training with it on? What type of practice/training are you conducting?

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who own plate carriers and a grip of tactical gear, how often are you practicing/training with it on? What type of practice/training are you conducting?

Personally I've only ever worn plates for work.
That said, I don't think it's any weirder to wear a plate carrier at the range than it is to wear a life jacket on a boat. With any dynamic or mobile shooting practice accidents can happen.

I know some kids in FL were practicing with theirs..

def90

WKR
I've seen AR500 mentioned in this thread, it's worth the PSA that AR500 plates don't offer any protection from spalling. You see this when shooting an AR500 target, the bullet splash chews up the target hanger, the earth below, and anything else in the area. Taking a round to an Ar500 plate is still preferable to taking a round to the chest, but I'm not so sure I'd want to keep living after receiving bullet splash to the groin and face. You can apparently mitigate this by spraying the plate with truck bed liner. I think if you feel you need plates, it's worth spending extra for ceramics.

Depends, some of the manufacturers apply an anti spalling coating to their plates.

id_jon

WKR
So…..you wear your plate carrier and helmet at all times?
I don't even wear my seatbelt at all times while driving. I don't have a pc or helmet, but I'm also aware of the fact that buying them during good times is the only likely way to get them.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I am not going to convince you as to why. That's your own decision that you need to make. But if you do decide to look in this direction. Here is my advice to your start.

Know your why for the gear. Not everyone needs the biggest plates walking around like a tank. I would say 9/10 people should worry less about plates and more about lightweight/mobility. Most people need enough essentials on them to get out of the fight and escape. As a smaller group or single person group you should not be looking at getting into one.

Your chest rig should be able to carry 3 - 4 rifle mags, you can add some pouches for pistol mags if you like. Some essentials for sustainment like MRE / Water filter / Fire starter. IFAK / Blow out kit.

There's some food for thought.

Edit* Don't forget to train with your gear.

WTFJohn

WKR

I try to take 3-5 shooting classes a year, weapon and equipment requirements vary. Total round count of maybe 3500-4k between classes and training. Calibers are everything from my daily CCW to long range precision rifle to carbine to shotgun. For most of the folks I know with gear, it's either current/old work stuff or people who like to shoot/compete and decided to dive down that rabbit hole; not end of the world fantasizers. We're also building a range facility to host classes and competitions, so my point of view may be different than others. We just like to shoot stuff.

I also take medical courses, avalanche courses, ski instruction, driving courses, etc... Frequency varies, but I've found that there is always something more to learn and a unique way to apply it either to that pursuit or another.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
if you drop the plates your more lightweight/mobile which is why no gear should be attached to the pc, run it slick.

Not saying what one has or not has, but do you really think a forum such as this is the place to discuss such issues, when the SHTF sites like this is going to be the first place big brother starts there search for shall we say threats to the republic. Example N.Y. wants access to the social media one visits prior to issue of a C.C. permit.

WTFJohn

WKR
Not saying what one has or not has, but do you really think a forum such as this is the place to discuss such issues, when the SHTF sites like this is going to be the first place big brother starts there search for shall we say threats to the republic. Example N.Y. wants access to the social media one visits prior to issue of a C.C. permit.

I bet they'll search my history here, get my IP, find every picture I've ever posted and use that to create a list of probable people I could be. They'll refine that with the social media attached to every bluetooth connected phone my phone comes near to obtain pictures of me. Then they'll cross reference that into a database of driver's license pictures and get my exact name/address and be able to come after me.

Or they can start with 4473s, form 1s and 4s, and CCW permits. Make sure all your firearms aren't; use black powder.

I am REALLY hoping that this thread can devolve into a discussion of the fabled "bug out bag". When society suddenly has a complete breakdown in less than 60 seconds, one can action roll out of their truck and scamper off into the woods wearing this magic backpack - thereby leaving their home, supplies, and all other useful tools behind. Just something to consider while showering with a pistol.