PLEASE SETTLE AN ARGUMENT

Grover

FNG
I bought an 18” cylinder wood stove this summer and plan on taking it on my October 15th elk hunt. I use it in an LBO shelter. My buddy swears up and down that the smoke will scare the animals away. I say it won’t. Any truth to what he is saying?

Don't camp too close to the herd and you'll be just fine. Camp too close, your scent will do everything the smoke would do to bump animals from the area.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

LOL, no truth in it at all. Had elk bugle within a 100 yards of camp smoke. Plenty of deer walk through camp while cooking on a wood stove . One night after sitting around a campfire while it was dying down getting ready to turn in a big mulie buck walled right up to the fire pit and sniffed it.

Tell your buddy it will be a cold camp for him then

I lit a fire in my 18" cylinder at 4am a couple weeks ago and listened to that damn bull bugle his brains out 200 yards up the hill until daylight. I ended up chasing the herd until 4:30pm when I finally blew them out.

Jauwater

WKR
There is a debate on using smoke to cover your scent. Some guys swear by it. I've heard it said that some indians used that method hunting, but I dont know if there is any truth to that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
If you’re successful, you were right. If you’re not, he was.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Even human scent won't scare them away in the middle of the night. A few nights ago right around 3am there were three bulls keeping me awake in my base truck camp, when out of the blue this big bull rips one of those screaming forceful bugles about 30 yards from my tent right at me. Then he tore up a tree next to the truck, screamed again, and then moved off across the road and kept me awake before I finally got up at 5. I don't think smoke would have made any difference either way.

Huh? Nope. Nada. Negative. Don’t worry about it. You’re fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I agree...no effect. Seen it.....they smell smoke all the time.

Just because one time one animal wasn't spooked doesn't mean that all animals all the time won't be spooked. I think we as hunters tend to wildly extrapolate our data. I bet many of us know people that think moon phase matters, and others that swear it doesn't. How about how elk talk after a storm? Sometimes it fires them up, sometimes it shuts them up. I think it's plausible to believe that smoke could negatively impact some animals some of the time.