Pnuma Alpha Vertex Jacket vs Sitka Ambient

JBT17

FNG
So I've been eyeing the Sitka Ambient Hoody for awhile. If Sitka had an option to have pockets and a hood I would probably already have one in my closet. However, I recently came across the Pnuma Alpha Vertex Jacket. I haven't had a chance to try one on or feel the material, but at face value it seems like similar technology and specs to the Ambient. Does anyone have experience with both that could give a review of how they compare? I've tried on the Ambient and my only major concern with it is the durability which seems to be a trend in reviews.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
You can get the MDWi from Arrowhead, which is Sitka, that is an Ambient hoodie with 30D face fabric vs 20D, has a hood, pockets and full length zip vs pullover. Mine will be here this weekend. It addresses all of your concerns.

I had the Pnuma long enough to try on and send it back, so I cant talk about field use. But they are 2 very different pieces. The exterior on the Pnuma is definitely more durable - the only thing that comes to mind of what the exterior feels like is the old Under Armour Brow Tine jacket. But I dont think the alpha vertex uses active insulation, which is everything that makes the ambient great. I think its just standard primaloft fleece insulation. Ive had the ambient for a while. Yes, I did get tangled up pretty good in hanging briar, but it didnt tear it up. It just took me a while to free myself. I think even with the durability concerns, Its a piece Ill nearly always have with me.

I found this on a blog from the pnuma site, which is nearly the complete opposite of how youd use the ambient:

"What I loved most about this jacket is the versatility it provides. I would use the jacket anytime we stopped and knew we would be sitting for an extended amount of time. As soon as we were ready to move, it was fairly easy to get back down to my base layers, pack the jacket, and be on the way in a short amount of time."

Last edited:

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Arcteryx Atom hoody and the Stone Glacier Cirque Lite jacket. Both should fit what you are looking for.

OP
J

JBT17

FNG
You can get the MDWi from Arrowhead, which is Sitka, that is an Ambient hoodie with 30D face fabric vs 20D, has a hood, pockets and full length zip vs pullover. Mine will be here this weekend. It addresses all of your concerns.
Yeah, I have looked at that as an option. Honestly the expense has kept me from buying the MDWi. The Ambient hoody is already super pricy for a midlayer in my opinion and the MDWi is like $50 more. Might be an option for me someday though.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
If you are not in a big hurry I can chime back in April-ish with a durability check. Im going to use it to layer under my Sitka Jetstream for running around town till it’s too cold for it and then at work under a fleece. With work I wear a duty belt so the hem/bottom section will get a durability test with the rubbing on the radio and taser holster. I am currently using a Marmot Alt HB Hoody for the same purpose but after a week I have pilling on the hem.

OP
J

JBT17

FNG
If you are not in a big hurry I can chime back in April-ish with a durability check. Im going to use it to layer under my Sitka Jetstream for running around town till it’s too cold for it and then at work under a fleece. With work I wear a duty belt so the hem/bottom section will get a durability test with the rubbing on the radio and taser holster. I am currently using a Marmot Alt HB Hoody for the same purpose but after a week I have pilling on the hem.
Yeah I'm not in a hurry to buy one so I'll look forward to hearing how it holds up for you

Bump79

WKR
The Alpha Vertix is designed for Whitetail hunters and more stationary hunting. It's more durable face is more windproof. Not what you want for active style hunting but would fit whitetail great or replace a light down.

JGTWI

WKR
I bought the Alpha Vertex a while back but think I’m going to sell it. It’s more durable than the ambient outer farbric, but quite a bit heavier. It’s warmer then my Sitka Jetstream, but not by a significant amount.

I though it would be lighter than it is, and can’t figure a use case for it other than just wearing around town.

jd1006

WKR
I think most items from Pnuma are heavy. They have some interesting stuff, but I don’t really find it working with my setups. I”m either looking for light and versatile for mountain hunting or warm and quiet for white tail.

Bump79

WKR
I think most items from Pnuma are heavy. They have some interesting stuff, but I don’t really find it working with my setups. I”m either looking for light and versatile for mountain hunting or warm and quiet for white tail.
I agree with this from most of what I've had. The 3l rain gear is awesome archery rain gear generally though. Light enough to pack easy, comfortable enough to wear all day on a rainy day & super quiet. I wouldn't take it to Alaska or BC but it's awesome for typical western hunts.